Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adobe To Acquire Macromedia In $3.4B Deal

Options
  • 18-04-2005 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Adobe To Acquire Macromedia In $3.4B Deal

Adobe Systems, one of the world's largest providers of document design software, will acquire Macromedia in an all-stock transaction valued at approximately $3.4 billion, the companies announced Monday.

Adobe's software includes the popular Acrobat and Photoshop program. San Francisco-based Macromedia makes the Dreamweaver and Flash web-design software.

Read more from www.crn.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

wow, will be very interesting to see how this works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Wooo some nice $$ there, I hope adobe dont try and change flash or any of their programs much.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

I hopw they dont get happy with the price tags now that they control the whole graphic package market !! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

I hope they don't axe Fireworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

twould be hard to see how it would survive against photoshop :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

This was bound to happen, it makes perfect sense for both parties. Adobe now control pretty much all major content and graphics applications for both printed content and e-content. Clever move.

It will be interesting to see what product suites they start offering and how they start linking all of these products - InDesign, Flash, Dreamweaver, PhotoShop, Illustrator, RoboHelp etc.. 'Tis an impressive list of applications it has to be said.

Better refresh my XML skills.... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I think this is a pretty accurate outlook as to what will happen. I'd agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

well at least all us web and media developers will be able to work form the same colour palette in the future. Its a complete nightmare when colours clash from flash to photoshop. Its a good move for that sole purpose. But its going to destroy competion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

But its going to destroy competion.
    Yeah, unless the open-source community come up with something usefull ... but I won't hold my breath. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

But its going to destroy competion.

In what way? The products that Adobe are likely to drop were never really mainstream products in the same way that Adobe's own were, so all they'll be possibly losing are a few niche users who refuse to change over. The survivng Macromedia products (read Flash) were also amongst the leaders in their field and not in direct competition with Adobe counterparts, and don't really stand to gain anything more market-wise from this merger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yes but will Homesite survive?

Advertisement