Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First shooter with a snipper riffle?

Options
  • 18-04-2005 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

The 'Best FPS weapon' thread had me thinking about this. As far as I can tell, it might have been Outlaws on the PC - an old and overlooked Lucas Arts Wild West FPS. The next I can remember is MDK's, but can anyone remember one before either of those?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

With a proper zoom etc.?
    The first FPS i can remember was, as you say, MDK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was definitely Outlaws for the PC. Next was Goldeneye on the N64 about 3 months later and then MDK.

Actually not sure if MDK or Goldeneye came first but Outlaws definitely had it first.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

jasus, remmebr that MDK years back on the p166 with 16mb ram lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

you think thats bad. It ran nicely on my p100 16mb ram.

Then i remember the Direct 3D patch came out and my new powerVR card with a whole 4MB of video Ram ran it beautifully. The games system tester said my PC was a 700Mhz machine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A snipper rifle? Is that one where you aim just above the head and try to shoot some hair off? :)

I remember MDK when it came out (and the 3D card patches). Fantastic game. I also loved outlaws to death. Found the soundtrack on usenet a few months ago - brought back some memories!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Outlaws was great indeed. Ran fine on my P200. (Ran like an absolute dog on my old 486/100 though)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Nah, definetly must be Duck Hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Hostages on the amiga had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

outlaws was great. Still have the cd lying about somewhere. Used to spend hours on it. Double CD and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

There was game for the NES called 'Rescue: The Embassy Mission' where you picked off terrorists from building windows with a sniper rifle. Gamefaqs tells me it came out in 1989.

Any advance on '89? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

That's the NES version of hostages.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think Delta Force was out before MDK and Goldeneye, that had a sweet Barrett .50 Cal

edit: and 4 sniper multiplayer on the volcano map was seriously good fun

Delta Force was out well afterwards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

My mistake, my memories from back then are a bit fuzzy :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Did Marathon have a sniper rifle? Or is it too late a game anyway?

Marathon was before them around the same time as the first doom. It didn't have a sniper rifle but it did have a good few weapons that are now standard in all fps games. It also have rudimentary physics for rockets, grenades and flying bodies:)

Advertisement