Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators and Admins THE DIFFERENCE

Options
  • 18-04-2005 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭

Right with all the righteous indignation that appears to be popping up these days there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what power moderators have.

Well here it is:

Moderators only have power on the forums they moderate this is usually only one or two forums however some may mod more.
    There are also the Category Moderators they moderate every board in a category, when I say moderate they clean up Muppet / Spammer induced messes but they still only have power on the category they mod.

Moderators have no power to ban you from the entire site this can only be done by our next species “The Administrators”

There are only a handful of administrators on Boards.ie and they are responsible for site wide bans and the running of the site. As for the power they have well they are the equivalent on this site to the bosses.

Hopefully this will clear up some things for our new users before they embark on their quests of justice and poor spelling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

G'Man Asok.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The administrators of boards.ie are Cloud, DeVore, regi and Vexorg.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

it's not as if most newbies read this forum before they post ****e, get banned and then moan about how the mods are **** :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

just because this has come up, is there a type of charter for the Mods, explaining what they can and can't do in certain circumstances.
    Like one Mod overule the decision of another Mod in that forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Gilgamesh wrote:
    just because this has come up, is there a type of charter for the Mods, explaining what they can and can't do in certain circumstances.
    tbh i don't think mods will overrule another mods decsion....even if they would have done things differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gilgamesh wrote:
    Mods answer to the admins. If a poster is unhappy with the reason for his banning, he must first contact the Moderator in question, and if he's getting nowhere, he should post on the Feedback forum, where an Admin will consider his case.

Mods have basic guidelines of not banning people for personal reasons, or acting the tosser on their own board. This will and has been dealt with in the past by the Admins.

On a forum, all mods are equal. I've yet to see a conflict of opinions (though I'm sure it's happened). By and large, Moderators will stand by their co-mods decisions unless it's particularly controversial, in which case I imagine an Admin would make the call.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

asok honey
    you left out
    category mods.....

Gilgamesh wrote:

if that were to come up, it would be discussed on the Mod Forum
    I've never seen it happen though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Beruthiel wrote:
    asok honey
    you left out
    category mods.....
    An accidental oversight i'm sure........
    ...........but they do have AIDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Beruthiel wrote:
    if that were to come up, it would be discussed on the Mod Forum
    I've never seen it happen though....

didn't wan't to cause a fight, as Kharn was very helpful in me getting banned from the Humour forum, but it so happened, that Kharn sent me a PM telling me that a thread was snipped and closed, and he gave me a warning for, then someone else did the same 'mistake' and his thread was dealt with by Bio in that case and he was banned and the thread was snipped.
    then once of the viewers noticed this and threw a hissy fit about it and Bio decided to bann me then aswell.
    I didn't think this was fair and it has been resolved now, (thanks to Kharn) but I think this would be a case where one Mod decided to process it one way and then was overruled by another Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Gordon wrote:
    What exactly is a super moderator? (Why is Lucutus so super?)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Gilgamesh wrote:
    didn't wan't to cause a fight, as Kharn was very helpful in me getting banned from the Humour forum, but it so happened, that Kharn sent me a PM telling me that a thread was snipped and closed, and he gave me a warning for, then someone else did the same 'mistake' and his thread was dealt with by Bio in that case and he was banned and the thread was snipped.
    then once of the viewers noticed this and threw a hissy fit about it and Bio decided to bann me then aswell.
    I didn't think this was fair and it has been resolved now, (thanks to Kharn) but I think this would be a case where one Mod decided to process it one way and then was overruled by another Mod
    Yep I read that thread, thought it was **** at the time Bio overturning a decision taken by another Mod. Glad to hear its been resolved.
    Thread is here for anyone that wants to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Asok wrote:
    There are also the Category Moderators they moderate every board in a category, when I say moderate they clean up Muppet / Spammer induced messes but they still only have power on the category they mod.
    *cough*

just shows the amount of attention I pay to Asoks comments :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

D wrote:
    What exactly is a super moderator? (Why is Lucutus so super?)
    Lucutus is an enigma that nobody can fathom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i'd edit my above message but i don't seem to have the capability. someone wih power mind correcting what i said? i see the wiki has been updated.

Advertisement