Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Easy car maintenance tasks

Options
  • 19-04-2005 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

Can someone sort this list of things that my car needs into easiest-to-do order? I've never done an ounce of car maintenace in my life, so we're talking seriously easy. I understand that much of these things will be completely impossible for me :)

oil change
    coolant flush
    trans flush
    chassis lube
    replace spark plugs
    replace a/c, pwr steer & alt belts
    replace battery
    "flush & fill" (whatever that is!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

What sort of car are we addressing. What tools, and/or friends that may have done any/all of these themselves in the past, do you have.
    I'll assume, while you have never done "an ounce" of maintenance, you do know where the oil, water, P/S, brake, A/T oil fillers, filters, dipsticks are and which one is which?.

You might start with getting the Factory Workshop Manual for the vehicle. E-Bay, library or your dealer. (forget Haynes, if possible)

Start with the Oil (don't forget the filter and don't overfill or overtighten).

Then maybe the plugs, if they are easy to access, which pretty much rules out any modern 6cyl with a transverse mounted engine.

maybe rotate the tyres and check the brake pads while doing it. (Jackstands required for safety, and make sure they are placed under the chassis, not under the floor, pil pan, drive shafts, steering rods, front rail, etc.

You could siphon out the Pwr Steering fluid, well most of it anyway, and just refill it with the appropriate fluid.

"Flush and Fill", sounds like two body builders from SNL. Anyway, the term applies to the coolant and AT fluid. Leave both those to the garage, assuming needed at all, how long since the last F&F.

Chassis Lube, probably nothing to lube in the chassis, unless it is a truck or Jeep.

Replace Battery, ....Why?. If it is starting, just clean the terminals, check the water level and drive.

Replace belts, etc.
    Could be easy or difficult or remove your head, depending on the car and the tools you have. The springs on the tensioners are strong and can do some serious damage if let fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hi,

I also want to start doing a bit of maintenance myself. Like AMurphy, i want to start easy and i reckon i need to get one of those big pneumatic jacks like they have in TAB. The one on wheels that you pump to raise the car , and twist the handle to lower it.

Does anyone know where to get a good quality one of these, and what kind of money they are?

Cheers

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The first thing I would recommend is a proper hydraulic jack and axle stands. Places like Halfrauds or argos may be the best place for these. hen get loads of other tools.
    I have picked up mine from a range of places like proper hardware shops all the way down to a crappy pound shop for a chain type oil filter wrench which has lasted years!
    I would also suggest that you go to a specific interweb forum for your car as you will get much better info there as to the procedures involved and for the tools/oils/parts required

Advertisement