Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is eircom actually doing anything about the slow speed problem?

• 19-04-2005 1:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

all of the members who rang eircom about having slow speeds, have your problem been resolved?

I was wondering cause today my broadband started to really go bad, pings are bad, speeds are bad, so I don't know to ring them and waste time or not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

the answer i got back about a sluggish connection we had the other day "your broadband line is using Rate adaptive adsl and therefore your 220k/sec speeds are not always gaurenteed"

end of conversation really ..... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I must admit I have been lazy about phoning them until now , If we don't ring then the calls won't be logged . " no sir , yours is the first call we have about this" , maybe we should light up the call centre a bit .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

If you are getting below the advertised speeds due to being rate adapted down then I doubt if it is going to be logged as a fault since it is a normal characteristic of RADSL.

Even if you are near the exchange, your line may not be up to scratch for full speed. This is why Eircom advertise "up to" whatever speed, but don't guarantee it.

Check with Eircom to see if your call has been logged as a fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

If you are synched at 1mbit...then you should get around 80% of that theoretical speed...and the same for 2mbit.

RADSL will synch you at a lower speed if you are unable to receive the faster speed.

That is why it is not a valid answer for a synch of 2mbit, but only getting ~1mbit speeds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

yea unfortunatelly it's like that SkepticOne,

ISP: you give us your money, and we guarantee you nothing
    Customer: Yes Sir!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

julius wrote:
    That is why it is not a valid answer for a synch of 2mbit, but only getting ~1mbit speeds!

It is. The exchanges don't have enough bandwidth to give all the lines 100% of the sync'ed bandwidth 100% of the time.

In fact they can only supply about 1/24th of it.

It's called contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

which is exactly his point,

Contention aint RADSL, and they shouldnt be blaming it on that.
    And quite frankly, i would understand some contention issues at peak times etc. but for somebody to consistently receive less than half the rated speed due to contention, all day, is utter crap and is merely skimping of bandwidth on the ISP's part. You should always be able to get full speed at bloody 5 or 6am in the morning, otherwise i would regard it as being an over valued service indeed, if it means that you never do reach it, nor can you, nor should you pay for the 0% likelyhood of reaching it.

And this is coming from a person who never gets effected by contention btw :-) 225kbytes/sec 24/7

JNive wrote:
    And this is coming from a person who never gets effected by contention btw :-) 225kbytes/sec 24/7

yep, 2 days ago I was smiling at my constant 215kb/s too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

If they ain't giving you the speeds your paying for you should just ring them up and tell them to give you the damn speeds your paying them for or threaten them that you'll go to IBB or NTL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,958 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Don't be so bitter lads!

I'm meant to be on 2MB... and i'm getting 150KB tops! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I get up to 225kb/s for some websites, but less for other websites.

basquille wrote:
    Don't be so bitter lads!

I'm meant to be on 2MB... and i'm getting 150KB tops! :mad:

well the difference is that, you had 150KB from the beginning, while I was getting a full speed, just fine, and great pings too
    Infini wrote:
    If they ain't giving you the speeds your paying for you should just ring them up and tell them to give you the damn speeds your paying them for or threaten them that you'll go to IBB or NTL.

I'll call them tomorrow, but I prolly won't complain much, don't want to draw too much attention I went over the limit "a bit" ;)

they won't be able to give me the RADSL excuse, cause it was fine before and my house doesn't have legs to move further from them, I know they will prolly blame a lepricon or some magical man for slowing the internet down

Don't take any crap from them. There's been a lot of threads going round saying how crap eircom's service has been lately.
    CyberGhost wrote:
    I'll call them tomorrow, but I prolly won't complain much, don't want to draw too much attention I went over the limit "a bit" ;)

Are they even enforcing the cap?

1,000th post!

I don't know, you never know with eircom

congrats on the 1000th post

check out my super speed

dtr5mt.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Nothing is gonna change until people ring in, have calls logged, demand to speak to supervisors in charge, and say point blank they'll switch providers or cancell until Eircom fix the problem.

Simple as that.

I just called eircom, basically they aren't doing anything :(

my ping to jolt.co.uk is 49ms, when it was 19ms damn :(
    boards.ie - 40ms

Guess it's time to start looking for a new ISP. :rolleyes: Ring them back and threaten them that you'll move move to IBB a few more times before though. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol

count yourself lucky guys i recently checked my dsl statistics cos i was wondering why my ntl 750k connection at home was quicker than my new eircom 3mb line in work to find out that i'm running at 900k instead of 3072k so i'm actually on a much slower line than i was before teh upgrade..

Maybe the guys at IrelandOffline might be interested in how eircom has fecked up their "upgrade"! :D

• Advertisement

Infini wrote:
    Guess it's time to start looking for a new ISP. :rolleyes: Ring them back and threaten them that you'll move move to IBB a few more times before though. :cool:

they just don't care, I told them I'd move to SmartTelecom, and the guy was like "mmm ok"

lol ikol that sucks!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

CyberGhost wrote:
    they just don't care, I told them I'd move to SmartTelecom, and the guy was like "mmm ok"

lol ikol that sucks!

Does anyone know who is actually in charge of bb in Eircom (on the technical side) ? Maybe it would be worth trying to email him/her?

when the upgrade went through our connection was cut off for 4 days they fobbed me off for ages telling me that a port had blown at the exchange, that my connection was fine, reset my modem and a load of other crap i was so happy to get my connection back that i didnt bother checking speed's and the like as i do most downloading at home. but when i tried sdownloading in work i was getting 70k down speed when i was getting 110-120 before.so start checking it out. to find i'm at 768 downstream as opposed to 1024.before upgrade been checking around for pricing to change isp.but may give my account manager a ring and a bollocking and see if she'll bump me up to 4 mb for the trouble

well had the engineer out today and he told me the best i'll get is 1284 down.. so it look's like i'll be changing to IBB does anyone have any complaint's about these up and down speed seem to be excellent seems like teh best choice out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hmmmmm ... I fire off an irate email to Eircom BB support, and five minutes later my d/l speeds from heanet.ie jump from a measly 30 kByte/s up to 220 kByte/s! Verrrrrrrrry suspicious? My Supernews news downloads are still stuck at about 85 kByte/s though :(

Advertisement