Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bullfrog Game

Options
  • 19-04-2005 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

just reading some of the best game in the universe thread and i started to add my fave games into it and i realised that alot of them were from bullfrog (best developers ever!)

my favourite are:
    Syndicate
    Syndicate Wars (but i prefered the playstation version)
    Dungeon Keeper
    Dungeon Keeper-Deeper Dungeons
    Dungeon Keeper 2

What were yours? (and can you still get them/will they work on modern pc's?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Bullfrog....

Hi-Octane!!!

The most absolutely mental racing game EVER...

Brilliant stuff, flying around the tracks about 300mph blowing up the other cars with machine guns and rockets...

Great graphics and sound for the time, too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought Hi-Octane was there lowest point. More shooter than racer and Wiperout was out at the time making it obsolete. I loved every other Bullfrog game though. I adored Magic Carpet. There's nothing else like it and it's way ahead of it's time. It's such a pity that EA absorbed them and then destroyed them. They did the same to Origin as well :(

I adored Magic Carpet

Ah yes, I remember playing that one on the Saturn....was there a PC version? I'm too lazy to google it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Gotta be theme park, I wasted so much of my youth with that game. Some preferred rollercoaster tycoon but there's just something really entertaining about seeing a person fall from a rollercoaster then get up and cry. I was a big fan of most of the bullfrog games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭DEG viper

i thought the dungeon keeper games were absolutely brilliant games and i still play them every now and again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Loved magic carpet. The graphics and sensation of movement were amazing at the time (draw distance would be a definite sticking point in this day and age, though...)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Syndicate was class

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I'd vote for Theme Hospital. The humour, the gameplay, the visuals. I played it a couple weeks ago, and apart from the inability to rotate (a requisite in today's games) it still looked, sounded and played very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i forgot about magic carpet, that was a great game, i think i still have it somewhere, the only bad thing about it was that i remember it being on a few episodes of neighbours years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Magic Carpet has to top my list... Syndicate too and Theme Hospital because i just love it for no reason

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Theme Hospital, then Syndicate Wars.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Theme Hospital and the Syndicate games.

Im shocked that there hasn't been any more Syndicate games, they were way ahead of their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

hi-octane and syndicate wars (as the vehicles from hi-octane were all in SW :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Can't believe no-ones mentioend Powermonger. This came was absoluetly superb. It definitely predated the "original" RTS game Dune 2 if I remember correctly.

Syndicate was excellent, but the 3D world the made on an A500 in Powermonger was brilliant. The seasons changed, making catapults and attacking villagers...happy times. Having a hundred soldiers chargin across the landscape.

If they remade it without ****ing it up I'd be happy. The game had so much depth. Even capturing the enemies generals, etc., .

It was way better than Populous and Syndicate IMHO and probably Molyneaux et al's finest moment.

Can't believe no-ones mentioend Powermonger.

I used to have this, on the MegaDrive!!!!

Great game, but I can actually barely remember it....

Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

theme hospital gets my vote

such a funny (and bloody addicting) game

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I loved Theme Park, Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Syndicate Wars? Wash your mouths out.

The original Syndicate was the only one worthy of the name, a terrific game. Theme Park and Magic Carpet were pretty good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Gotta be theme park, I wasted so much of my youth with that game. Some preferred rollercoaster tycoon but there's just something really entertaining about seeing a person fall from a rollercoaster then get up and cry. I was a big fan of most of the bullfrog games.

I found themepark when I was having a tidy abt a month ago - I downloaded Dos bos and played it for DAYS - it's still so good!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

This thread has made me realise what a horrible state the industry is in at the moment. Games cost so much to make that the niche games that were so prevalent then are all but extinct. Bullfrog, Origin, the old Lucasarts and even Westwood is now dead. Three of those four, absorbed, raped and discarded by EA.

Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate, Syndicate Wars and Magic Carpet are the shining Bullfrog games IMO, and will forever be in my games collection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

damn you EA :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Hi-Octane rocked so so much. Great multiplayer even on the one pc.
    I preferred Theme Hospital to Theme Park but both are classics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Still have theme hospital lying arounf here, I break it out for a game every so often...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i didnt realise that starting this thread would make me hate ea even more than i use to

from now on i wont even give them the dignity of capital letters

You know what to do Ralph; Burn them, Burn them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

omg i so forgot about powermonger, i had it on the megadrive.
    I LOVED THAT GAME

it was so funny when your men got hungry and started wandering off to hunt :P

a remake would be superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Ah yes, the original syndicate was great fun. Played it there again a while ago. I remember there used to be this great level where there was a parade or something in the city you were in and you could drive through it with the mind control devices active and have thousands of guys running along behind you. It was great crack just to turn around and mow them all down in the car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

Hi-Octane was fantastic.
    Dungeon Keeper was right up there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I say Theme Park! what a game! the first time I 'played' it ws in a friends gaff years ago on the SNES, the reason I have played in inverted commas is because he insisted that I told him what to do instead of him giving me the god-damned controller! but the best craic was when you had a lot of ppl using your rides and you don't have any mechanics so your ride explodes :D oh man I miss that game!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Syndicate, Magic Carpet, Hi-Octane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

is Syndicate on the PC the same game that used to be on the Amiga 500? if so I must try and get a copy! I loved that game!!

Advertisement