Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bullfrog Game

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Sw one of the best games i have ever played still have the cd here however xp wont run the damn thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yep same game (though not sure if its 100% the same)

it was on the amiga that i first played it

that was a great system

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

bizmark wrote:
    Sw one of the best games i have ever played still have the cd here however xp wont run the damn thing :(

DOSBox

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Unfortunately Syndicate Wars isn't framerate limited and will run at roughly 1 million frames per second on a modern machine. However the hilarity that ensues is more than worth it.

i can only imagine pumping them up on purple haze (feel free to correct me) and watch the quartet of paranoid supersoldiers with miniguns commit genocide

ummmm sounds soo good

PS is their a way to limit the frame rate?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

well my friend tried it a while ago and said he couldn't find any option. Most old games had an option in the performance settings that was something like Ultra High spec that you could select and limit the framerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

SyxPak wrote:

Cool it works mind you at around 1000 fps makeing it impossible to play the game which is a pitty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I had that problem with Syndicate Wars and pressing one of the function keys fixed it (F7 possibly? not sure though), it doesn't actually limit framerate but puts it in high detail mode which was enough to get it to a manageable pace on my PC which is fairly average-speed.

Never got into it when I tried to play on PC though, I loved Syndicate on Megadrive(my fave 16 bit game ever) and Syndicate Wars on Playstation, it was only later I got the PC versions and mouse control seemed wrong to me.

bizmark wrote:
    Cool it works mind you at around 1000 fps makeing it impossible to play the game which is a pitty

I'm after testing it on my machine ehre (P3 800) I'm actually getting rather poor performance, but I haven't tweaked ti too much.

You can limit the operating speed with DOSBox, you just need to RTFM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Populous was great fun altogether, a truly unique game.

Syndicate was fantastic. Wading into a huge crowd and mowing them down, the roar of your agent's miniguns... ah, memories. That and setting hundreds of people on fire with the flame thrower... or blowing up a train with a rocket launcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Dungeon keeper 1 and 2 were great games

Actually, wasnt there a trailer for Dungeon keeper 3 in the second one?
    Does anyone know what's happening with that or has it already been released or something?

i think originally it was meant to be an add on (hence when it came out the cd said disk 1) then it was turned into a sequel but then ea came along......

feel free to correct me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I really liked Dungeon Keeper... "Your creatures are getting hungry....". Was DK2 any improvement on the first one? I have them on file and might install them if work life (tm) allows it...

Your Imps Demand Cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Big Nelly wrote:
    is Syndicate on the PC the same game that used to be on the Amiga 500? if so I must try and get a copy! I loved that game!!

It is, and it came with the American Revolt exapansion as well. It's so long ago though I'd expect you to have trouble finding it (and running it). I remember getting it free with a Creative Labs soundcard in 1995 - so if it was in freebie state a decade ago, good luck finding it!!! I don't know where my copy is anymore.

Syndicate Wars was a 3D one, which was cool but definitely wasn't as slick as the original. It wasn't 3D accel but it did burn my P200mmx at the time!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Actually if you google for it its available online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Rew wrote:
    Actually if you google for it its available online.

Found it and seems to be available for free on a download :D

Will it run thou? or do I need other software to get it working?

System:
    Windows XP
    Excalibur Radeon 9800PRO
    1GB PC3200 memory
    Athlon XP 2800+ with sharkoon silent cooling fan
    SATA disk!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Big Nelly wrote:
    Found it and seems to be available for free on a download :D

Will it run thou? or do I need other software to get it working?

System:
    Windows XP
    Excalibur Radeon 9800PRO
    1GB PC3200 memory
    Athlon XP 2800+ with sharkoon silent cooling fan
    SATA disk!
    Read the previous comments above about running it on moderen machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Theme Hospital just nudges out Dungeon Keeper for me. Though they're both absolutely amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loved playing Magic Carpet on my playstation, great stuff.
    Picked it up a couple of months ago and guess what?
    Still great stuff, ok the graphics engine is a tad rusty but still gives the terrain a real solid feel, especially as it deforms under your, and your opponents, spells, loved putting a volcano or earthquake through an enemy castle, wonderful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Wasn't the old "Chaos Engine" a bullfrog production. Ah that brings me back,that old Amiga 600 with all them disks

Nukem

Team 17 i think. Another fantastic developer for 16-bit home computers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Chaos Engine, The Bitmap Brothers as far as I know, same guys who created SpeedBall 2, the greatest Amiga Developers ever, give or take another dozen brilliant Amiga developers, a true golden age of european game development, hard to believe its all nearly 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Syndicate by a long shot
    i was thinking of it only the other day - "if only some one would remake it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Loved 'Populous II' when you could hit the Armageddon button and just flatten the landscape and have the tribes go straight to a final war :D

Favourite has to be Theme Hospital though... "Doctor to the Slack Tongue Clinic"

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Chaos Engine, The Bitmap Brothers as far as I know, same guys who created SpeedBall 2, the greatest Amiga Developers ever, give or take another dozen brilliant Amiga developers, a true golden age of european game development, hard to believe its all nearly 20 years ago.

Bitmap Brothers, your right. another excellent developer. Speedball 2 is the only sports game I'd give the time of day too that isn't PES.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I played DK2 last night. What a brilliant game. Theme hospital shall have to be bought again me thinks.....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Populous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

You can freely and legally download a demo of Theme Hospital here: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,3841,00.asp

• Advertisement
Advertisement