Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual Health Info? Your thoughts please

Options
  • 19-04-2005 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

How do you feel about receiving sexual health information (including condom packs) in a pub or club?

Or

How has your experience of receiving this information been in the past?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I remember packs been handed out in some gay club in Dublin. At the time thought it a little presumptive and contributing to stereotypes as it never happened in any straight club at the time.

I remember finding the litle lube tubes cute (had not seen before !) and possibly useful rather hat walking around permanently with bulging pockets or paraphenalia ..just in case.

On a more serious note I guess depends on who you wish to target. If is people who have no knowledge re sexual health issues then there may be problem. Leaving packs around avaialble help if avilable every where in he pub/clu. If in one se point some people will avoid for the same reason they remain ignorant; embarrassment etc.

Handing out to groups within a club would seem to have the same effect.. Giving hem out outside the dooor or at admission point might be more successful in reaching the target.

Any literaure should be well planned as this is the easiest part for a young man for example) to pocket discreetly. So as well as health issues it might include contact details for support grop, specifically one for younger men .

I have also been out in a group (of IRC people as it happened) where the packs were seen as an economic boon )

With Major concerns over rates of testiular ancr it woul be good o to at leas make some reference to he seriousness of this and the ease of checking etc

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Hmm, I haven't seen them being handed out in a while (having said that, I've not been a huge scene starlet lately), but I do remember thinking that it was a good thing at the time that they were there if people needed them.

However, I never really thought particularly much of the packaging, maybe it's just my innate prudishness being pushed to the fore but they were a bit, um... in your face.

It's better that they're available than not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Why do you need to hand out condom's in clubs and pub's? They are fully available in pubs and clubs. Or maybe you feel that is the best place to teach sex health awareness? I really don't understand what the point of such exercises are. If people wish to have un protected sex then that's their choice. All you can do is make sure the option for safe sex is there.

Why don't you go campaign for the right to give out condoms in schools, I know that's most of the guys in my class where sexually active, but we had no access to condoms, bar the local chemist, and most teenage boys will not go into a chemist to buy condoms, especially since there is no annoyminity.

And your point is? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm detecting a note of condemnation in your post, whereas the original post was (I would assume), looking for constructive feedback from people.

Do you have a problem with organisations handing out literature in Pubs and Clubs? Or is it just that you dislike being preached to. Yes, it's everyone's personal choice whether to engage in safe sex or not, but would you not agree that it's better to have free sexual health packs available than not available? If they're cheap to make and save even one person from infection then surely it's worth having them there.

As for your schools comment, really, be realistic. It's one thing to provide such a service in pubs and clubs, but can you imagine the parental outcry from the more right-winged faction of society if a health organisation proposed to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Just goes to show Sexual Health and any attempt to inform people has barriers other than the obvious; you can get the information out, make it freely available , but its mindsets that need to be tackled.

Its a pity there wasn't more a connection made between ---erm one head and the other :)

• Advertisement

I wouldn't wish to be handed a condom in a pub. It's not prudishness. I would find it presumptions that I don't practice safe sex and invasive, in that it's none of his business if I don't. The original posters giant size writing really sum's up an in you face attitude, that I believe allot of safe sex messages are delivers in the gay community. It's worked for awhile but now I'd just liked to be treated like an adult and not a child that needs to be bashed over the head with this stuff at every opportunity. If there is an important message that needs to be delivered then realistically it isn't going to be delivered while someone is getting drunk.

As for schools, teenagers are the ones who most needs contraceptives, while at the same time are the one's for whom it is least available. Most schools have to have sex education elements as part of there course, one per year, to all students over a certain age. They would probably love someone to come in and give a non-bias talk on safe sex and distribute condoms. I'm sorry if the original poster just wanted positive feedback.

I wouldn't wish to be handed a condom in a pub. It's not prudishness. I would find it presumptions that I don't practice safe sex and invasive, in that it's none of his business if I don't.

How do you feel about the packs being available in the first place? I take your point that you don't like being given them, and tbh, it is a little annoying when someone walks by and litters three or four on the table in the middle of your drinks with all your friends standing around.

Personally, I'd much prefer the approach of having them in a couple of places so that if someone felt that they needed one they could easily grab it before they left.
    I'm sorry if the original poster just wanted positive feedback

I've got no links to the OP at all, and I never said that they wanted positive feedback, the word I used was "constructive", and that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Free condom's in a pub/club, grand. If people want them they can go and get them, not have them thrown at them in some grass manner.

Advertisement