Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSS Layout Question.

Options
  • 19-04-2005 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭

I'm developing a new site and I'm trying to get away from using tables for layout (I'm using CSS layout for the first time). So far so good. I'm trying to achieve something that was easy in tables, but can't figure out how to do it with divs.

The table equivalent is two side by side cells, each 300px wide. Cell 1 is left aligned, cell 2 is right aligned.

In the div layout, I have a container div, and inside I've tried putting 2 divs side by side. Here are the classes:
    #frame {
    		width:650px;
    		margin-right:auto;
    		margin-left:auto;
    		margin-top:10px;
    		padding:0px;
    		text-align:left;
    		}
    #menu {
    		border:1px solid;
    		padding:5px;
    		background:#fff
    		width:350px;
    		}
    #menur {	
    		border:1px solid;
    		padding:5px;
    		width:350px;
    		padding:0px;
    		text-align:right;
    		}

The problem is the #menu class is stretching for the full width of the #frame div, and the #menur is appearing on its own line beneath the #menu div.

Any ideas? Should I be doing it a different way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

I'm not exactly sure what you're html is but I would assume it would be something like:

<div id="frame">
      <div id="menu">content</div>
      <div id="menur">other content</div>
    </div>

Well to do this you'll need to first of all do your maths 350 + 350 = 700 not 650 which is the width you have declared for the #frame.

Secondly you should add a float: left; to the #menu and float: right; to #menur

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah, your HTML is what I have. I had been trying a few things, and just added the widths as I was copying the styles into the snippet above this morning. My math really isn't that bad :)

I'll give that a go, Colm. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

hey TmB goto www.bluerobot.com and have a look at the layout resivor, the 3 colum layout is the one you should go for id say!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thanks for the link banbutcher.
    Colm - your suggestion sorted it out. The floats fixed it. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

No problem glad to help ;-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement