Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paint Condition

• 19-04-2005 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭

Hi, i recently aquired a 'modern classic' and am thrilled with it.
    It is excellent condition, but i am planning to tidy it up even more.

The paint is still in good nick, it looks great when its clean and polished, except a few parts aroun the body the paint has bubbled slightly. It hasnt cracked or anything just hard bubbles.

I am afraid to nick one incase i exposed the metal, but am also afraid it may be starting to rust underneath.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

prospect wrote:
    The paint is still in good nick, it looks great when its clean and polished, except a few parts aroun the body the paint has bubbled slightly. It hasnt cracked or anything just hard bubbles.
    I am afraid to nick one incase i exposed the metal, but am also afraid it may be starting to rust underneath.

It is almost certainly rusting underneath. Now is the time to fix it, as the rust will just continue to eat into the good metal beneath the paint. I would choose one area and nick the paint off to get an idea of how bad the rust is beneath. Use an emery board to grind away any rust, then apply some rust converter to the area, and touch it up with some cellulose top coat in the colour of your car. This will last about a month before needing to be done again, so I would be looking for someone professional to go over the bodywork in that time.

What kind of car is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Thanks DS20,

I thought as much, but was secretly hoping it wasn't... I was thinking of leaving it in for a complete job, and have it resprayed, but keeping the colour.
    I presume they would sand blast, prime, spray and portect!
    Its a 91 MX-5.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As DS20 says, the paint bubbles mean that the metal underneath is rusting. I am currently doing some research into the best DIY way to treat/stop/slow rust. There was a thread on this forum a few weeks back entitled "How to treat surface rust", check it out for some tips. I plan on attempting some rust treatment in the summer, first underneath the car, then on an inconspicuous area of bodywork.

Check out the thread and also check out this page for some tips:
    http://www.halfords.com/268.asp

BrianD3

Thanks Brian,

I'll read up a bit, and will decide then if i am capable of giving it a go...

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Hi prospect,

You may not need a full respray if the rest of the paintwork is in good condition.
    A good spraypainter would be able to match in new paintwork with old (i.e. tone down new paintwork.)
    (I worked as a spraypainter for 6 years)

• Advertisement

Silvera wrote:
    Hi prospect,

You may not need a full respray if the rest of the paintwork is in good condition.
    A good spraypainter would be able to match in new paintwork with old (i.e. tone down new paintwork.)
    (I worked as a spraypainter for 6 years)

That is great news, thanks silvera. There is only three spots, each is no bigger than a €1 coin, and a bad paint job on the front right corner of the bumper.

Cheers :D

Advertisement