Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access home PC remotely - IOLBB

Options
  • 19-04-2005 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Simple really - I want to have access to my home PC from work - remote desktop preferrably.

What do I need to do to get that working. I assume a) the router (Xyzel) needs configuring to allow the remote-desktop port range through and b) I'd need some sort of DDNS service running on the PC in order to find it on the web.

Any ideas/thoughts on security, good DDNS services (no-ip never really worked for me).

Anyone else doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

i use vnc on port 80,
    works like a website, simple java app - no installation etc.

ddns seems to kick my wireless off every few minutes so i just email the ip to myself before work each morning,

this is fine for me because usually if the router disconnects it doesnt come back on until its powered offf at the unit. [ ddns wont work if theres no net ;) ]

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

OK - that's one solution. We use VNC in work.

I don't leave my PC on all the time - I may get my wife to power it on if I need to access it remotely - that's why DDNS is an attractive option.

Thanks for the info though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I use logmein.com

You don't need to do anything to the router as it works on port 80 and have found it verry good.

It works better with IE6 rather than firefox but it is free for up to 5 computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

I've tried it, but it seems to time out. Are there any config changes needed on the DSL router or the PC?

Advertisement