Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Returns for PC Games

Options
  • 19-04-2005 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

Got a pc game (Sid Meiers Priates) there yesterday in Game, and when I bought it was told that to check the requirements to make sure it worked on the computer, because they don't take returns on pc games, incase people copy them.

(I assume that they'll refund you if the game is faulty)

I'm just curious if anywhere else operates with this kind of policy. I think previously Game had a ten day no quibble return policy, do they still have this for other formats? DVD's are just as easily copied, do they stop you returning them?

(oh and sorry if this is the wrong forum)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah you can thank the muppets who abused the returns system tbh.
    "Hey I can get two games for the price of one! ... every single week!" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

I don't believe that they will refund a faulty game although you should be given a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The most annoying thing ever was, one time I did have a genuine fault with a game and it took about half an hour to even get a credit note off them....when the manager turned up.

If he hadn't been there I might have been going home with a faulty game and an empty wallet.

Otherwise, I returned maybe one PC game ever in Symths Toystore, and in fairness they had no quibbles at all and gave me a refund...
    Game had a ten day no quibble return policy, do they still have this for other formats?

I THINK they do, but I'm not positive....but I'm pretty sure recently a staff member said that to me when selling me a game recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

-oRnein9- wrote:
    I don't believe that they will refund a faulty game although you should be given a replacement.
    If the game is faulty, they're obliged to refund you if you request. If you just want the faulty disc replaced though, that's fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

seamus wrote:
    If the game is faulty, they're obliged to refund you if you request. If you just want the faulty disc replaced though, that's fine too.

Actually, obliged to replace or refund, at their own discretion, under the Sale of Goods Act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

so it's not a new policy?

bought a couple of games there in the last few months, and this is the first I've heard of it.

I do remember returning Rez for the ps2 a couple of years ago, when I got it the disc was scratched to bits, still worked, but had a hell of a time returning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Absolam wrote:
    Actually, obliged to replace or refund, at their own discretion, under the Sale of Goods Act.
    Afaik, the discretion is the consumer's - i.e. the consumer can decide if they want a refund, replacement or repair, if the item contravenes that Act. I'm open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

The idea behind getting rid of the no-fuss-10-day-returns-policy (or whatever it was called) was to prevent taking back multiplayer games that require a game key to play online which is fine because when you buy a game you expect the key to be virgin and useable. But then somebody had the magnificent idea to exclude all pc-games from the returns policy.

There still are a couple of shops with returns policies in and around Dublin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive always said this is a flawed policy.
    If a person comes back with a faulty game and they refuse to exchange which happened me, how can they prove or say the game is not faulty [which i was told] unless they have a pc on the premises to check it out?
    This happened me a few months ago,the game was genuinely faulty and was the first game i bought in months as i mostly play mods for my existing games.
    They refused me flatly and would not exchange ,i have not bought a thing from them since and neither have any of my mates or members of our gaming community.
    Buy elsewhere or online.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

If they could exlpain the fault properly then perhaps a replacement could be given or a credit note... HMV just gave me a straight refund on Half Life 2, not even a batted eyelid, i just explained that the man game didnt work but the CS Source did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

seamus wrote:
    Afaik, the discretion is the consumer's - i.e. the consumer can decide if they want a refund, replacement or repair, if the item contravenes that Act. I'm open to correction though.

It's the sellers discretion, what they deciede will be based on a number of things one of the major ones being a timescale of how long you have had the product.

IMO Game have probley stopped the 10 day no quibble, because of the number of people buya a game copying it and returnign it.

Advertisement