Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ocean Colour Scene

• 19-04-2005 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

Anyone else going to see them?
    Got my tickets for the Friday in the Village, wish I had them for the Thursday though, have an exam on Saturday so I wont be able to drink.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

When is it that they're playing? Might go along alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

When is it that they're playing? Might go along alright
    Whelans Thursday the 5th,
    the Village Friday,
    The Olympia ,i think, on Saturday
    and the Ambassador on sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

http://www.mcd.ie/live/fullnews.php3?tname=1216119278&xname=oceancolurscene

Thursday, May 5th - Whelans, Dublin(sold out)
    Friday, May 6th - The Village, Dublin(sold out)
    Saturday, May 7th - The Ambassador, Dublin(this is the one im going too)
    Sunday, May 8th - The Olympia Theatre, Dublin

they also had a 4 day ticket available for all 4 gigs, sold out now though

herobear wrote:
    http://www.mcd.ie/live/fullnews.php3?tname=1216119278&xname=oceancolurscene

Thursday, May 5th - Whelans, Dublin(sold out)
    Friday, May 6th - The Village, Dublin(sold out)

Ah well, wont see them this time 'round them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 S. Fly

Terrible band, i hated them for ripping off the beatles beyond belief..even worse than oasis

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

S. Fly wrote:
    Terrible band, i hated them for ripping off the beatles beyond belief..even worse than oasis

i don't agree, they are absolute ****e but oasis are even abysmal-er

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Ocean colour scene make me go lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

How can you say they ripped off the beatles? Nothing like them.

last three posters havent a clue if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I am MAN wrote:
    How can you say they ripped off the beatles? Nothing like them.

wel then its a good thing we didnt ask you... :D

I am MAN wrote:

Well i'll be honest and say that no I dont have a clue about Ocean Colour Scene and it was my reason for going to their gig...

• Advertisement

Well i'll be honest and say that no I dont have a clue about Ocean Colour Scene and it was my reason for going to their gig...

You where not in the last three posters :)

if you can't see any similarities you obviously haven't an idea what you're talking about, go and listen to some bland music, at a guess i'd say you love travis and coldplay too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

They Ripped Off The Stones & The Faces So They Probably Ripped Off The Beatles - But Not As Obviously Or As Badly As Oasis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ok, show me some of examples of said 'ripping off'

Everyone has there influences, if it was so easy to rip off The Beatles/Stones etc. we'd all be doing.

I do admit they sound a lot like some of The Small Faces stuff.

bazH wrote:
    Ok, show me some of examples of said 'ripping off'

Everyone has there influences, if it was so easy to rip off The Beatles/Stones etc. we'd all be doing.

I do admit they sound a lot like some of The Small Faces stuff.

Everyone's sound reminds you of someone. Even the beatles had influences.
    Unless a persons influences are of a different genre, you're going to get the same style of music.

Bottom line is that they've written some good tunes, regardless of who it sounds like, they're still good tunes.

I challenge you to get drunk and not start sing along to "the day we caught the train" when it comes on, you always have to throw in the la la's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

You're arguing with me , but agreeing with what i said, might need to read this thread again.

I'm against the smacktards who said its rip off crap

lordgoat wrote:
    if you can't see any similarities you obviously haven't an idea what you're talking about, go and listen to some bland music, at a guess i'd say you love travis and coldplay too

Well if I wanted to look at any band hard enough I could probably pick out one or two similarities to the beatles. Nirvana have a song where kurt sings "something in the way" and so do the Beatles. Damn you rip off bastard Kurt.

Why are you saying I probably like Coldplay and Travis? I most likely have a more intelligent taste in music than yourself by the sounds of things.

Kingsize wrote:
    They Ripped Off The Stones & The Faces So They Probably Ripped Off The Beatles - But Not As Obviously Or As Badly As Oasis.

If you're going to start saying stuff like that can you at least give some examples or did you overhear your big brother and his friends say it?

bazH wrote:
    You're arguing with me , but agreeing with what i said, might need to read this thread again.

I'm against the smacktards who said its rip off crap
    Oh, I see, it was the I challenge you part.
    No, I was actually agreeing with you and adding my two cents.
    I forgot what I was doing, that part was for the other guys.

If you're going to start saying stuff like that can you at least give some examples or did you overhear your big brother and his friends say it?

I cant figure out whether youre offended about oasis or OCS so i dont know where to start, im a fan of ocs by the way but lets be honest about them eh?

examples??for starters listen to "wild horses" by the rolling stones & "the downstream" by OCS & tell me there are no similarities whatsoever.

• Advertisement

One example. I would like to see alot more than that if you are going to call them rip offs.

I'm not even a big Ocean colour scene fan to be honest. Im into punk/ska but i'm just sick of people dissing bands for the sake of it.

i wasnt dissing em & i didnt call them rip offs i said they ripped off the stones & the faces which is true, you looked for an example & i pointed out the most obvious "stones" rip off 0n "The mosely shoals" they were the small faces the look,the sound the scooters ,whole feckin lot dont deny it.
    its not a bad thing its just true,
    robbie FUKKING williams on the other hand is a rip off & an awful gobshyte into the bargain.

i wan't dissing them because they're rips offs, though it is very esay to see where they get alot of their music from, my problem with them is they are not very good at all, in fact i find them offensively bland and have done nothing new or inspiring since 1995 when they were bright shiny and new, now they're spent and boring and as for singing along with 'the day we caught the train' when drunk - what does that prove... anyone can name dozens ofbetter songs that everyone knows the words to... come on eileen

1995 when they were bright shiny and new

not strictly true i think they had their debut album a few years before when they were a latter day "baggY" outfit
    '95 was when they re launched as the retro mod revival revivalists we all know & love. :D

Incidently, I'm selling my tickets cause I cant go Friday.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2673840#post2673840

check here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

This entire OCS rip thing is always highly amusing. Anyone care to note how the Beatles ripped of Dylan for Norwegian Wood, or how the Stones ripped off just about every Chess records release they could get their hands on, how Hendrix ripped off Love, how the Beatles pretty much copied Here, There and Everywhere from Brian Wilson, or how Dylan ripped off the irish ballad "The Patriot game" written by Brendan Behans brother, for his song "with God on our side", note the obvious influences of Robert Johnson right up to Blonde on Blonde. Or how much early Bruce Springsteen owes to Dylan, and how much Nebraska era Springsteen owes to Guthrie. Or how Nirvana aped the Pixies.
    You might think that OCS are just too obvious, then again, anyone who heard Back in the USSR by the Beatles and misses the Chuck Berry/ Beach boys influence is deaf. John Lennon was sued for ripping off Chuck Berry (and berry won) for the song Come together.
    OCS write some good tunes, I don't see why people can't accept that all music is built on something already existing. People who accuse OCS of ripping people off miss the point. Music is about having fun and rocking out, not sitting around whining about how you can't enjoy a song because it shares it origins with some equally great tune.

[QUOTE=
    OCS write some good tunes, I don't see why people can't accept that all music is built on something already existing. People who accuse OCS of ripping people off miss the point. Music is about having fun and rocking out, not sitting around whining about how you can't enjoy a song because it shares it origins with some equally great tune.[/QUOTE]

my problem i shall state again has nothing to do with them ripping people off, it's the fact they are ****, and musically ave not changed a thing since when they started i hate lack of progression in music and just doing the same old run of the mill stuff frankly bores the **** out of me...

That might be a reason not to buy any of their new stuff, however, you can't retrospectively dislike a good song, simply because the bands later stuff hasn't changed much. A good song is a good song, and "the Day We Caught the Train" is simply a good song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I used to listen to OCS many moons ago but I have to agree with people here who say they are rip off merchants. Yes, they did write some good tunes, but with some of the tunes I'm amazed they didn't end up in court over them.

Example being 40 past midnight, which is a slowed down version of "Lets spend the night together" by the Stones, with different lyrics.
    Listen to both songs and you'll see what I mean.

All bands and musicians are influenced by those who came before them, but the thing that annoyed me about OCS is that they didn't try to conceal the fact or even throw a new angle at the stuff they've done.

It used to be said "How many members of OCS does it take to change a lightbulb? None, they get Paul Weller to do it for them", sadly this is the truth.

• Advertisement

But the tunes they copy are often just copies of earlier tunes. For example the Rolling Stones version of "Stop Breaking Down" on Exile owes so much to robert Johnson's version I'm amazed they didn't just include the original. I've never said they aren't derivative, simply that alot more bands are equally derivative. Did you ever play OK Computer straight after playing Dark Side of the Moon? or play Nirvana's version of Where did you Sleep Last Night, after either Mark Lanegans version or indeed Leadbelly's version? The influences are as clear as the light of day. It isn't a bad thing, it just seems that people criticise OCS far too much and some other artists far too little. For example half of Ryan Adams albums Gold and Rock and Roll are clearly pastiches of other artists but no-one seems to mind too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Moseley

i'm a massive OCS fan and for a few different reasons.
    Firstly, and the same as most fans I couldnt help but love Moseley Shoals and Marchin' Already - both packed with great tunes - good solid tunes and hopefully everyone agrees there's nowt wrong with that.

Secondly OCS had and still to a massive degree have a unity with each other and their fans that not many bands have. Their story is a fantastic tale of dodgy, homophobic A&R men, f*cked up record deals and bad production in an effort to make them 'baggy' like the new Stone Roses or something. Their dad remortgaged his house to buy them out of their deal and build their own studio... I've went on long enough. (heartwarming, I know)
    OCS have a band of brothers attitude about them - an inseperable, tight unit that very few bands can clam to have. They constantly refused to pander to the music press (in their early days, the NME of all publications hailed them as good as the Beatles!! now the same publication hardly acknowledges them) or relocate to London.

As for someone's claim that they are stale and have never changed, they obviously havent listened to their albums, or they too read the NME (who's reviewers prob havent even listened to them.
    'One From The Modern' contained Chemical Brothers style breakbeats for feck's sake. And since then they've done jazz, blues, folk and rock style tunes. Never groundbreaking, but constantly impressive.

They dont deserve the bashing that the naysayers who love to quote the latest issue of 'Hot Press' or MOJO magazine in their efforts to sound intelligent give them and I'm glad that they still, in Ireland anyway have a good following who appreciate what they do and what they contribute and what they stand for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Having influences is all well and good, but blatant ripping off of peoples songs is where I draw the line. I was a massive OCS fan until someone with more music knowledge than me (at the time) sat me down and played about 15 OCS songs and then the 15 songs they ripped off. I don't just mean something similar, I mean ripped off.

Moseley wrote:
    As for someone's claim that they are stale and have never changed, they obviously havent listened to their albums, or they too read the NME (who's reviewers prob havent even listened to them.
    'One From The Modern' contained Chemical Brothers style breakbeats for feck's sake. And since then they've done jazz, blues, folk and rock style tunes. Never groundbreaking, but constantly impressive.

i don't think you know the meaning of impressive or stale, having a drum machine on a couple of songs does not equal breakbeats... the above did make me laugh, i remember when one from the modern came out only for the reason that there were a few songs played by whatever godforsaken dj was on in the mid afternoon on 2fm/todayfm or whatever station it was. as i was tormented in work for weeks on end... god frightening stuff indeed, thanks for making me remember that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Moseley

well it is all relative after all. using drum machines and bleeps and stuff might not be progressive or revolutionary when ur the aphex twin but for OCS it does indeed fairly represent a change in approach to music-making - a change certain posters have implied never happens with OCS. compared again to their next album 'Mechanical Wonder' there was a change (again) to a more folky style with nowt but pianos, strings and guitars making up the bulk of songs.

OCS would be the last to admit that they're any way progressive or revolutionary but the whole torrent of abuse OCS get for being retro or ripping other acts off is unfair when there are very, very few popular artists around today doing anything that can be considered as new.

personally, i'm glad that they're still around making music that I enjoy and quite impressed that they merit 2 full pages of posts on this site as they provoke a reaction - not bad for a band that are 'boring' and 'rip-offs'. If i was an artist one thing I would hate would be getting ignored - I'd rather be hated by some people and loved by some people than have most people think 'they're alright - i suppose'.

Mods Rule!! (i suppose)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 playtoh

Hey there,

We got the support for OCS on Saturday in the Olympia. Really looking forward to it.

We're PlaytOh by the way. We're on around the 8.30 mark so if you're in early you'll get to take in our show.

Hope to see you there,

PlaytOh

• Advertisement
Advertisement