Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing my steering wheel

Options
  • 19-04-2005 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

I'm after getting a nice leather steering wheel and the right size hub adaptor/boss kit for my car. Now I need to get it installed. The car is a Honda Civic 98 with no airbags (thank god!).

Is this a difficult task, and should I attempt to do it myself? Or should I just get a mechanic to do it? I've heard that if the car has no airbag, then changing the steering wheel can be a doddle. Only thing is, there aren't any instructions with either the momo boss kit OR the steering wheel :(

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

pull off the plastic cover on teh centre of the wheel, select correct socket and its off. Fitting the momo boss is a dodle, its basically a big spacer, the wheel should fit the boss easy enough, try this before dismantling, the only hassle withthis type of thing is making sure any wheel mounted controls still work - horn especially, thats an nct failure.

its a 15 minute job, good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

Make sure the wheels are aligned with the steering wheel too

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Right, thanks guys.

When you say take the cover off the centre of the wheel, I assume you mean the piece of plastic covering the steering column which has all the wiper controls & indicators sticking out?

Also, do I need to add any oil to the boss kit to ensure the steering is nice and smooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

nope, the very centre of you steering wheel should come off revelaing a large nut holdimng it to the column!!!

wouldnt be my choice, but hey. I just fitted a leather wheel to my saab in place of the plastic version, 5 minutes, but that was one original part for another

• Advertisement
Advertisement