Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No free port in exchange

• 19-04-2005 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I am moving house and want to move my broadband to the new house.

The line passes there but Eircom Sales tell me that there are no free ports in that exchange.
    The new house is on the same exchange as I am on at the moment.

They said cancelling my broadband in this house won’t free up a port for the new house.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Quite frankly, it sounds like bollox, if you wanted to 'disconnect' your current line, then why can they not use that port for your new house, and leave the sods that move into your old house deal with no phone line access lol.

Seriously, how could that happen lol, a most basic requirement of an exchange, they should try and upgrade or whatever. ah well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In fairness it does happen in the UK that BT can say a exchange has no capacity,

Just because you cease your line and want to re-order on the same exchange does not mean your first in line to get that space that you freed up..their might be some kind of Q system in place.

In the end it is upto Eircom to increase the capacity in the exchange but that could take some time...same as it does in the UK.

All of the above refers to DSL and not a POTS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

JNive wrote:
    Quite frankly, it sounds like bollox, if you wanted to 'disconnect' your current line, then why can they not use that port for your new house, and leave the sods that move into your old house deal with no phone line access lol.

Seriously, how could that happen lol, a most basic requirement of an exchange, they should try and upgrade or whatever. ah well.

I think they are talking about dsl ports, not telephone lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

which would then mean even more reason why it should be ok lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Shadow-Lord

Yes the phone line is connected in the new house and activated and eircom have passed the line.

But they say there are no free ports in the exchange for dsl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Nothing Eircom do or say surprises me anymore, they cleary arn,t interested in retaining customers let alone get new ones. If the exchanges are reaching capicity already god help us! What exchange are you on have you tried smart, since they are puttting thier own equipment into exchanges there won,t be a problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Shadow-Lord

Does anyone know how to contact eircoms order management department.
    They are supposed to be dealing with this.

Eircom don’t seem to be interest in keeping their customers anyone.
    You pay them 200+ a month for a business connection and you can’t even move it to another premise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

this happens very quickly on smaller exchanges.

In carlow for instance the exchange went live in 03/03 and by 04/04 one month later it was at capacity.

it took them until July to get more equipment into the exchange.

Now a days its happening a lot quicker, so it may only be a few weeks.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

flamegrill wrote:
    this happens very quickly on smaller exchanges.

In carlow for instance the exchange went live in 03/03 and by 04/04 one month later it was at capacity.

it took them until July to get more equipment into the exchange.

Now a days its happening a lot quicker, so it may only be a few weeks.

Paul
    Unbelivable!!! a bit like what they did on new housing estates a while back. Guessing if there was 100 houses they would probobly need about 60 lines. then came multiplexing lines, them came BB...Whats the saying "the more rush, the less speed"
    Roll on Smart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

when you cancel a dsl connetion that port is not released for picking again in that exchange it stays with that line for the lifespan of the exchange. Im not sure if its transfereable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement