Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OpenOffice Japanese sort order correct?

• 19-04-2005 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I'm playing around with OpenOffice, and was wondering if the sorting algorithm for non-alphabetic characters is correct?

So if you look at the attached GIF, I sorted the left table by the Alphabetic characters, and the right table by the Japanese characters. I'm just wondering if OpenOffice sorts correctly according to Kana syllabary, or by the Unicode equivalents for each character (or using some other random algorithm!)..

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭elvenscout742

Yea, 'tis correct. May I ask why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sure.. I work for a company that has a Linux distribution, and one of the products included in the distribution is OpenOffice.. I was just wondering if they had got the sort order correct, which can be quite tricky for double-byte languages. More a curiosity than anything..

I did find this sort order algorithm from a Microsoft site: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP052674011033.aspx

But unfortunately, I do not have the necessary Japanese language skills in order to validate that the OpenOffice sort was accurrate...

I did however, create these same folder names in XP, and working on the assumption that Microsoft would have done it correctly, validated that the sort order was the same as that of OO.

Thanks for the help elvenscout742. Oh and if your question was about the company names/Englishised Japanese words, I just used those as a sample, as I figured they would be well-formed.

Advertisement