Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Wiring Question

Options
  • 19-04-2005 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi,
    I am putting a small network in my house. And need some help to figure out the correct wiring. I have cable in place and am about to wire up the Ethernet sockets and a patch panel. My question is which connections do I use? If I terminate the cable at the Ethernet sockets using the T568B pinout do I also connect the patch panel by the same pinout or should I use T568A ? (in other words is the cable that runs between a patchpanel and socket a straight-through cable or a cross-wired one)
    Secondly, My patch panel only has space for 12 connections, I am running 16 cables, so I will have to crimp plugs onto 4 cables. What connection do I use? A or B if the sockets are wired B.

Thanks for any help.

Brooksp

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Wire everything 568B ('cos 568A is harder). The only time you should ever use 568A is when you're explicitly creating a crossover cable.

All 568B, all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 brooksp

Great, Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

oscarBravo wrote:
    Wire everything 568B ('cos 568A is harder). The only time you should ever use 568A is when you're explicitly creating a crossover cable.

All 568B, all the time.

How do you make out that 568A is harder to wire? The only difference between 568A and 568B is the way the wires are put into the modular plugs. You use the 568A for one end and 568B for the other end when you are making a crossover cable!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

How do you make out that 568A is harder to wire?
    Because of the way the pairs are twisted in the cable. As you untwist the pairs to prepare them for crimping, they tend to come out (in clockwise order) as orange pair, blue pair, brown pair, green pair. If you arrange these with orange on the left, brown on the right, blue up and green down, it's easy to line them up in 568B sequence. 568A always seems trickier, leaving wires crossed over each other awkwardly.

Advertisement