Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slugfest in Humour forum

Options
  • 19-04-2005 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭

I wanted to bring this issue up about the humour forum and it has gotten severely out of hand imho.
    there is a thread in there something like why MJ washes his hands, (can't look up exact name as I was banned from humor after the decision from the first mod was overgone by a second Mod) which has turned into a fist fight, which I think is a bit of a joke (maybe that's why it is still in Humour, the irony)

anyway, the whole issue about why MJ jokes are forbidden allthough other topics which are discriminating to certain groups, racist, sexist and the lot, are still present?

IT IS A HUMOUR FORUM!!!!

since when was there such thing a PC for Irish/English humour?
    and why does it only come in when it suits one specific Mod (in this Case Biohazard)

The reason I am opening this thread is because I was affected by it, by been banned for a week from the forum.
    Biohazard overturned the way Kharn dealt with the issue, (Kharn PMed me and said he snipped the thread from me and gave me a warning) and banned me, because someone threw a hissy fit in another thread with a similar joke include MJ.

I do not think this is fair and from a different thread, I understand from the other mods, that this thing is discussed in your own forum.

Also, as there was no sticky of the thread Bio had sent me explaining that I was now banned by him (whicih was from MARCH and I couldn't access as I was banned!!!).
    If someone tries to come about the 'etc.' part of the charter, I do have to say, there would be hardly anything left to laugh about.

I know that some paople are going to come with the comments that not everybody shares the same humour, but hey, guess what, some people do.
    If you don't like it, then no one is forcing you to read it.

Sorry for going on a bit about this, but I read a few more of Bio's posts in that one specific thread, (while logged off) and they are really irritating me.

Few.... steam vented.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Yep agree. There was one day last week while looking at the Humour forum almost every thread had someone banned. There are Pakistani, chinese, american, Irish jokes humour is humour, people should know by the title what the joke is about (especially in Jackson's case). Maybe if we put a warning or something on the thread title. BRING BACK ERICM

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We have a long standing tradition of no poor taste jokes on the humour forum. The same thing happened with the twin towers, the tsunami, dead baby jokes etc. Personally I fully back the mods in that regard. I'm sorry, but I dont find that sort of thing "amusing" and if you do, well thats cool but not here.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

EricM2 banned. Going through the other posts now.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Dev, tnh, the main thing what kinda bugged me personally about the entire thing, is that I apologised for the thread I opened, and dealt with it with Kharn, then I got kicked in the face with a banning from Bio just becasue someone though it was unjust that I didn't get banned before allthough that guy did.
    I was reading in the Mod thread, that a Mod in the same group wasn't to overrule the decision or the way a Mod dealt with a situation.
    Is this correct or not.

It also kind of got to me, that instead of just closing the second thread, it was left open for people to pick a fight, why wasn't it closed straight away? it is a humour forum and not for discussions on that matter, at least I thought it wasn't, I was going from the point that the Feedback forum was there for such things.

I know that I have put some stupid comments into threads sometimes, but if Mod asked me to remove it, I did it without hesitation to it.

I cant see anything here but a bunch of whiners complaining because they got slapped for posting stuff they shouldnt or for complaining about moderation on a forum rather then in feedback.

Bio has been modding that forum for years now and we havent had a problem before and I cant see one now. His point that you should take it to feedback is correct, Humour is for jokes, not for the discussion of the Humour Mod. Feedback is for that.

Sorry but there seems to be a number of new users who dont understand the way the site works. This isnt an open site provided by the government, this is our site and our rules. Dont like em? Well theres an [X] box top right.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

As Gilgamesh said whay was the thread not closed long ago instead of allowing for such childishness to protrude? Bio is banning people like wild fire in the last few days... is this or is it not a power trip?

And then to call someone a moron after banning then? Is that not against the rules of boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Gilgamesh wrote:
    Dev, tnh, the main thing what kinda bugged me personally about the entire thing, is that I apologised for the thread I opened, and dealt with it with Kharn, then I got kicked in the face with a banning from Bio just becasue someone though it was unjust that I didn't get banned before allthough that guy did.

I merely pointed out the double standard of banning one person for the same joke. ffs man its only a week get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

memphis wrote:
    And then to call someone a moron after banning then? Is that not against the rules of boards.ie?
    Well, its not really the same as calling another user a moron.
    EricM had been banned and wasn't a user anymore ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

memphis wrote:

It is against boards rules to create a second account to get around a ban.

no? so maybe calling him a moron can be justified

Gurgle wrote:
    Well, its not really the same as calling another user a moron.
    EricM had been banned and wasn't a user anymore ;)
    Very funny. Glad someone has a sense of humour!

Bio is on a power trip, and needs to come down off his/her high horse!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

It is against boards rules to create a second account to get around a ban.

no? so maybe calling him a moron can be justified
    Only if the original ban could be justified - and it can't.

At least not on a forum moderated by someone over the age of 5.

"I don't like it" is not a valid reason for an *edit*, let alone a ban.

Gilgamesh wrote:
    I was reading in the Mod thread, that a Mod in the same group wasn't to overrule the decision or the way a Mod dealt with a situation.
    Is this correct or not.

It also kind of got to me, that instead of just closing the second thread, it was left open for people to pick a fight, why wasn't it closed straight away? it is a humour forum and not for discussions on that matter, at least I thought it wasn't, I was going from the point that the Feedback forum was there for such things.

I know that I have put some stupid comments into threads sometimes, but if Mod asked me to remove it, I did it without hesitation to it.

Yes, thats fair enough. It wasnt handled brilliantly but to avoid any allegations of favouritism you got the same treatment as others. The thread should have been locked or moved here. Its a no win situation for the Mod because if he doesnt then he's playing favourites or is inconsistent.

DeV.

As Eoghan says. I second that.

And Johnny, you and I know that calling someone a Moron regardless of the reason is against the rules. Fair enough the user was using a multiple account and deserved the ban, but spare the abusive comment when doing so.

DeVore wrote:
    Yes, thats fair enough. It wasnt handled brilliantly but to avoid any allegations of favouritism you got the same treatment as others. The thread should have been locked or moved here. Its a no win situation for the Mod because if he doesnt then he's playing favourites or is inconsistent.

DeV.
    Ok, I'm gonna go with Dev on this, Damn I hate the way you can be always right, and solve everything.

Thats my rant over. My appologises to BioHazRd.

Actually Bio posted in response to EricM2's taunting that he had set up a second account. I think Bio's analysis of him as a "moron" is probably fairly accurate.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

DeVore wrote:

DeV.

I can accept that, it just contradicted with what Mods were saying in a different thread, that's why it bugged me a bit.
    Sorry bout that, didn't wan't to cause a rant about this.

Gil

DeVore wrote:
    Actually Bio posted in response to EricM2's taunting that he had set up a second account. I think Bio's analysis of him as a "moron" is probably fairly accurate.

DeV.
    The analysis may well have been accurate, Yes, but approprate, No.

Anyway, I'm not gonna argue with you.
    I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

So this dead baby walks into a bar...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

:)

Advertisement