Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your future

Options
  • 19-04-2005 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭

What do you want to do? Where do you want to go to college if you're going?

I want to become a secondry school teacher, go to Galway and get a higher diploma in education. Then just keep going from there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I want to go to Trinity College. I have no idea what I'll do there, but it'll be something.

If they ever get me to leave the college, I'll become a street hobo writing novels, or drawing/writing graphic novels. Or I'll be a photographer for some cool thingy like National Geographic. Not a fashion photographer. Unless it was for a very cool magazine and not one of those ones with stick thin models and general badness.

I realise that if I want to be a photographer I should probably go to art college and do photography, but... yeah. Not sure I want to do that as a career at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Trinity? I've been told it's a total kip! Yeah...but anyhow it's pretty famous, 'twould be cool to go there.

From what I've seen of the college it's not a kip. I way prefer it to UCD, anyway, and while DCU is quite nice, I think Trinity has more of a college feel to it.
    And also there's the fact that the parents went there, and have numerous entertaining stories about the college.

sounds fun, going to Galway seems like a plan for me, it's far away! I could also apply to: Trinity, UCD, Maynooth or UCC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I want to go for either of these:
    1: I want go into eithether the RAF or Arelingus and become a pilot. Hopefully, it'll happen.
    2: I would like to go into photojournalism. I like taking photo's and journalism(not paprazzi journalism, but news journalism) so I would love to go into that career!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Pick a course, not a college.

Ah, you see I have my course picked....but I'd prefer Galway out of all of the Colleges that do it, because it's away from Dublin. :D

Since as far as I know, there is no required course for one to become a writer, the course I do doesn't seem to matter so much.
    Which is my excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

I been thinkin' bout what I'm gonna do in the future alot lately...
    I've always (since I was 'bout 8 or so) wanted to do something in computers (ie, computer science in ucd, more than likely. But I haven't looked at any other colleges), but lately I been havin' doubts about that...
    Because I've such a deep, deep hatred towards non-free software (and non-free software vendors), I don't think I'll do computer programming. Unless redhat or the like offer me a wage to develop gnu/linux or some other free software...

I could do some non-geek related course in college (and I don't have a clue what course...) and keep geek stuff strictly as a hobby (but I dunno if I could hack it, hehe).

I've even considered joinin' the priesthood :eek:
    But I'm not too religious and after a (tiny) bit of thought, I don't think it's the easy way out that I'm looking for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

I don't know about that. Not too many r joinin so u could get to the top in no time!

• Advertisement

declan_lgs wrote:
    Unless redhat or the like offer me a wage to develop gnu/linux or some other free software...
    But who would pay you if it's free software :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

F00k...I'm in 5th year and I don't know what I want to do....damn young 'uns

Looking at Theoretical physics in UCD atm, but beyond that who knows....stupid people with your long erm goals and ambitions

Victor wrote:
    But who would pay you if it's free software :D
    Redhat! They'd get rights to my code, which I wouldn't exactly be a fan of but what the hell... Better Redhat than Microsoft(!), or Apple, or Adobe, or Macromedia (I'm not even gonna mention IBM... oops). Redhat is good... Some of the best linux kernel programmers work for 'em (notably Alan Cox)...
    I dunno how the rest of the free software dev's do it... Although, alot of 'em only program as a hobby and have full time jobs, sometimes (and sometimes not) doing something completely different. And they get a right bit of donations (if they're lucky enuff), from businness's and users...

EDIT
    jonnyq wrote:
    I don't know about that. Not too many r joinin so u could get to the top in no time!
    hehe... "what do you wanna be when yer older?" "pope"..

I think I'm gonna try and scare my guidance councellor that I'm deadly serious 'bout becoming a priest next time I see him...
    I shouldn't take the piss outta priests but damn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

i want to go to a UK university like Oxford or Cambridge if I get the chance otherwise id stick with Trinity or Maynooth

I wouldn't mind being the first woman atheist pope, but I for some reason can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

College in NUIG hopefully (as I've been walking past/in campus for the past many years and I like the place...), dunno what course but perhaps Electronic Engineering.

After that I don't know what I want to do, a cool job would be to work for Valemount on StarOS but I don't see that happening....I think it's too early to narrow myself down, and that lead guitar thing still might get me moneh ;)

But yea, Galway then America is the plan anyways methinks.

Just for fun, I looked up the computer science courses in California (where it's all happening). The only university in California I know is the University Of California in Berkeley (where FreeBSD was born), so I took a look at their computer science website and theres so flippin' many courses (89)!
    I'd just love to go there tho...
    ATM, I'm lookin' at this course:
    Operating Systems and System Programming -- Computer Science (COMPSCI) 162 [4 units]
    Course Format: Three hours of lecture, one hour of discussion, and four hours of programming laboratory per week.
    Prerequisites: 61B, 61C, and Math 55.
    Description: Basic concepts of operating systems and system programming. Utility programs, subsystems, multiple-program systems. Processes, interprocess communication, and synchronization. Memory allocation, segmentation, paging. Loading and linking, libraries. Resource allocation, scheduling, performance evaluation. File systems, storage devices, I/O systems. Protection, security, and privacy.
    (F,SP) Joseph, Smith
    Computer Science in UCD is far too general for my liking... So if I do that course in Berkeley and go on to develop GNU/Hurd (and it's Mach microkernel) (only 'cause GNU/Linux is pretty much finished (well, not really, but...)) and get a college education in electronics, right in the comfort of my.. err.. computer. Then probably design some hordware (and hopefully make some money). There's my ideal future in a nutshell.
    Not too sure 'bout the money end of things but what the hell...

Meanwhile back on planet Earth: I've got an Irish, English, Maths, French, CSPE, Geography, Technical Graphics, Businness Studies, History, and Science exam to study for.

declan_lgs wrote:
    Not too sure 'bout the money end of things but what the hell...
    I imagine a Berkeley level BSc will cost you $200,000+ (Only about €153,000 ;)). Perhaps get some qualifcations here first and then risk the $$$.

Victor wrote:
    I imagine a Berkeley level BSc will cost you $200,000+ (Only about €153,000 ;)). Perhaps get some qualifcations here first and then risk the $$$.
    Holy crap!?
    err... never expected that. Damn you just destroyed my moment!
    Why the hell would it cost so much?

(I know I haven't thought it out too much...)

American education aint free, just like Irish colleges make their money from international, fee paying students.

• Advertisement

Fobia wrote:
    American education aint free, just like Irish colleges make their money from international, fee paying students.
    Yea I know that but like, $200,000 is a bit... aw gawd
    To think some ppl need these qualifications, and the fact that education at home counts for nothing...
    makes me get a little bit pissed off

Not all universities cost that much. And people can get grants and scholarships. Obviously not everyone, but still.

declan_lgs wrote:
    Yea I know that but like, $200,000 is a bit... aw gawd
    To think some ppl need these qualifications, and the fact that education at home counts for nothing...
    makes me get a little bit pissed off

The norm is to get your first degree in Ireland, then get a masters or a PHD from America, I think it's alot easier to get scholarships for postgrad courses there......

Fobia wrote:
    The norm is to get your first degree in Ireland, then get a masters or a PHD from America, I think it's alot easier to get scholarships for postgrad courses there......
    well I suppose a computer science degree in Dublin wouldn't be that embarrassing (heh)...

oh yes, and that brings me on to my alternative future:
    to be a lecturer. I used to think in Computer Science in UCD but now I'm thinking "Operating Systems and System Programming -- Computer Science" in Berkeley :D
    It seems to me like the lecturers have it damn easy... But I dunno. Does anyone know how ya become a lecturer? Is it just, fly through the course untill ya become a "master" and then a "professor" (?) or something like that? Or is there a course ya've to do for teaching?

Quite a few lecturers just have their BSc/BA/ whatever, some may do HDips etc. but the important part is having something to teach to people, i.e. new, interesting, special.

Professors would normally have more than that.

Victor wrote:
    Quite a few lecturers just have their BSc/BA/ whatever, some may do HDips etc. but the important part is having something to teach to people, i.e. new, interesting, special.

Professors would normally have more than that.
    :eek:
    wow, seems easier than I thought... Could be the "easy way out" I've been lookin' for :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

There is absolutely no way now (yes in the past) you will become a lecturer with just a degree and post grad diploma in the computers area.
    You Need: * A first class honours degree (not easy to get)
    * A PhD (i.e. unique research consisting of 3/4 years)
    * Post Doctoral Research and Funding
    This is not something like secondary teaching - you must actually be one of the best.
    BTW you don't need a HDip. in Ed.
    Therefore this is no "easy way out"

johnnyq wrote:
    There is absolutely no way now (yes in the past) you will become a lecturer with just a degree and post grad diploma in the computers area.
    This is not something like secondary teaching - you must actually be one of the best.
    I don't think I'd mind doin' all that stuff unless they make me sit a Geography exam or something.

I'll speak to my guidance councellor... soon.

johnnyq wrote:

That's to be a great lecturer.....

The ratio of lecturers to students has to be kept the same, so if more students go to college in the next few years (which they will), more lecturing jobs will open up....I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

I'd like to study law, but the course is really long and the 520 points or whatever it is, is also a problem.

I'd like to go to UCD, (the furthest college that's in Dublin, i wanna get away from parents).

Advertisement