Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband not working since "upgrade"

• 19-04-2005 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

My DSL light has been out since the upgrade, > 2 weeks now. Digiweb have finally mangaed to find out from Eircom that my line probably isn't suitable for the higher speeds. Eircom apparently "downgraded" my line this morning - I checked with my wife and the DSL light is still out even after rebooting the modem. I'm now waiting to see what further suggestions Eircom/Digiweb might have (should be getting back to me in a few minutes). I would have thought that if I really have been downgraded my DSL should work as before.

Anyway if it turns out that DSL is no longer an option for me should I go with IBB or hang on to see if my line is suitable for Smart (could be quite a wait as I'd like to keep my number!)? Does anyone now if Smart would do a line test for me in the meantime as I've heard that their DSL might work on poorer quality lines.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

digitaldr wrote:
    Does anyone now if Smart would do a line test for me in the meantime as I've heard that their DSL might work on poorer quality lines.

I don't see how it can fail for Eircom/Digiweb etc and then work for Smart
    dsl is dsl the noise levels are the same...

So if you can't get 2MB from Eircom its extremely unlikely you';ll get it from Smart over the exact same copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Thanks for the reply. Digiweb phoned back and said Eircom will have it sorted by 5pm tomorrow - yeah right!

Anyway it's all a bit puzzling - to the best of my knowledge "the copper" hasn't changed - and my neighbour across the road has had no problems with his DSL.

I'm sure I've seen some posts here from people with lines that failed the Eircom test but passed the Smart one (as far as I now they're supplying ASDL2)

Advertisement