Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband and webcams....

• 19-04-2005 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

mods dunno if this is the right place or not so feel free to move.

I'm an IOLBB+ user on a 2mb line and my girlfriend is on IOLBB with the 1mb line, and last ngiht i decided to try out the webcams that cam free with the iol pack. The webcams themselves work really and a give a clear enough pic.

The problem though is that when trying to setup a cam session over MSN the pic was jumpy as hell, neither of us were downloading anything on the pcs yet it just seemed as though it could'nt stream that well at all.

I'm well aware that both the IOLBB and IOLBB+ only have a 128k upload, is that enough to get a reasonable webcam session setup?

I mean you would think now that having a 2mb line and a 1 mb line that you could at least get a fecking webcam to run somewhat smoothly between the two??? Personally speaking i'm not overly happy with the upgrade to 2mb, i'd rather have a 1mb and 256k upload :-\

anyone else have these problems with webcams? can it be sorted or is more upload needed?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Id say more upload is needed. 128k up is like trying to view a webcam on a dual speed isdn without any jumps!!

/me kisses his IBB 1mb down/up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Well i've a webcam i bought in argos for super cheap, it works fine talking to my girlfriend in america...depending on the light it seems to work fine, i think 128 is enough for a cam :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

really Willymuncher? apart from the light thing, which is easily sorted with a desk lamp, i found the picture to be jumpy, probably no more than 5fps 10 at the most, it was no way near smooth or anything like i would have expected it to be :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Eye wrote:
    really Willymuncher? apart from the light thing, which is easily sorted with a desk lamp, i found the picture to be jumpy, probably no more than 5fps 10 at the most, it was no way near smooth or anything like i would have expected it to be :(

By right 128K should be more then enough for a webcam, hell I've seen webcams run on less from time to time.
    Maybe its the crap software that comes with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

i dunt think it's the software, i can run the cam with the software with no problems, can get a decent picture even upto 640x480 and a smooth 30fps which is the cameras max.

It just when connecting to a session on either msn and also tried yahoo, the pic is jumpy as hell :(

i would have thought that 128k up would be enough but at this point i really dunno where the problem is :-\

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Maybe try a lesser resolution that 640x480 when on MSN?

Just a suggestion.
    Another suggestion would be to get IBB installed. 1Mb up and down :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Visit http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/ and check your actual speeds. I tried mine last night for the first time since the BB upgrade, should be 2Mb down and 128k up, but I was getting 950kb down and about 40kb up. If your upload speed is being crippled by something this should find it.

The poor upload seemed to be effecting online game play too, very laggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

The MSN webcam feature has to run on a wide variety of connections, hence the reason why it wont take full advantage of a blazing fast connection/cam resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

It can depend on the software drivers for your camera, and the speed of your processor too. If it takes a long time to digitise the images, you are only going to get a few frames per second.
    I regularly use MSN to Spain with no problems (my computer is a 3Ghz P4, the other one is a 2.8 GHz P4), but when using it to an older computer (P2 366MHz), there is a remarkable drop in picture quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

When you tried it on yahoo did it work in super-webcam mode.

It needs a direct ip to ip connection for that.

If it is defaulting to the standard webcam speeds in yahoo then you need to look at your settings.

I have used the super-webcam feature and it is fairly smooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

id say its the cam and the software as ive used other software with my cams in the pas to talk to relations in auz and ive never had any probloms .

Advertisement