Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Synchronicity

Options
  • 19-04-2005 5:05pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've often found myself thinking about something, and then the next day I'd come across a post here on one of the forums related to it. One example is that recently I was reading about the end of the world (or at least dramatic changes in it), the next day Solas posted a thread here about that very topic. During that discussion the topic of a "black" pope came up and then later that day people in work started talking about the exact same thing. Other examples I've had are that often I'd be thinking/reading about something and then I'd see a film about pretty much the same thing. And of course we've all experienced where you'd be thinking of someone and then you'd bump into them later that day or get a call from them or something.

Of course it could all be coincidence but sometimes it just seems to meaningfull. It could also be various types of precognition or telepathy. What do others think of synchronicity, is it all just meaningless coincidence or is it a sign that we're all somehow interconnected ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭transperson

then it happens its wkd and you just know it was right not just chance.
    i believe in it, when things go right and everything flows they pop up everwhere, like last summer everything was in huge syncronicity for me, twas class, id think of something and it would happen, id hope for something it would happen, id forget something and someone would give me a present of that exact thing, id meet people purely by accident who could guide me through that particular phase, maybe it was just chance but i really doubt it!
    it felt like i was in tune with something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Have a read of Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson - his insights into synchronicity (among other things) are quite interesting.

I do think that we are all interconnected in ways we fail to see and this could be the cause of some synchronicity, but it could also be simply the 'new word' effect - you learn a new word or phrase and all of a sudden it starts popping up everywhere.

A good quote from Wilson goes something like "Life can be seen as a series of coincidences, some of which we choose to ignore, others we ignore by default, but anyone of them can - with a choice - change your life."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I would definately think its a sign that we're all interconnected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Solas, sometimes I envy your convictions :)

(coincidentally, I was once known among friends as 'Solas')

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Carl Jung called it 'Synergy' and it happens all the time. Others call it affirmations, such as visualising something and then it happens.

Scott Adams (the guy who writes the Dilbert series) tries to explain this strange phenomeum (sp) in 'The Dilbert Future'.

Many, many others write about this interconnectedness, but again use different wording, it all means the same thing.

Having read all this, experienced it BIG TIME in my life so far, here's my theory. We are part animal (human) part energy, just pause for a minute on this one. We are made of matter (blood, bones, muscles, cells etc), we need to eat, sleep, etc, etc. But then we have these feelings, insights, unexplained events. Take feelings for example, when we feel angry, we get a huge energy build up, when we are tired its like something is drained out of us, when we are sad, we feel a physical pain in our hearts, when someone we don't know stands too close to us, we feel uncomfortable. About 80 - 90% of communication is non-verbal (my figure on that may be incorrect, please correct me on that). What are these things, that we don't see or touch, yet we feel? This I believe is our energy part, the part that feels communion with a God/Goddess/Budda/Creater/Something out there. The part that is moved by beautiful music, art, a person, a speech, a mountain or in the countryside.

Not only are humans part matter, part energy, so is every living thing, animals, plants, rocks, trees, etc. I believe there is a matrix of energy connecting every thing, and when we have a thought this travels along this energy matrix, and an action occurs from the thought. A good example is if you believe you will fall of a wall, or a bike, then you will. Used positively, if you beleive (not hope) but beleive that you will succeed, then you will.

Energy fascinates me, because it is so powerful, yet so simple, and most of us are so unaware of it, but when you become aware of it, a whole new world opens up. (Sorry I've kind of gone of topic but I couldn't help myself - I'm stopping now).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭transperson

Mc Ginty, cool theory how you connect the mind energy to beauty then to God/buddha
    but it sounds like what you are describing is Cartesian dualism [from Descartes 17th century french thinker guy]
    body=matter [Reas Existans, in his jargon]
    mind=energy[Reas cogitans]

this dualism has lotsa problems in the history of thought. but the scientists today can describe feeling, thinking and emotion on a physiological and psychological basis so in my opinion this dualism has been superceded.

i would say that we are not part energy part matter but that we are all energy, as energy is everything [einstein said so :D ]. and as energy in a huge energy matrix of the universe we are all interconnected in fact i would say that everything is interconnected in the flux of energy that we call the world. things are only seperate entities in our minds.
    our experience of syncronicity is our awareness of incidences in which the interconnectedness of all is shown.

and yes i too think its our energy that can have the strange feeling of beauty and love [in my eyes its not an emotion] and awarness of creative force/God etc

BTW those Dilbert books were cool, i followed their recommendations for success in the leaving cert and guess what, things went exactly as Dibert said they would! coincedence? who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

That was a fascinating post McGinty. I'm very interested in this area cause I find the whole concept of energy very interesting; it's completely universal in nature. When I first started reading about energy and synchronicity, it was in a book by Deepak Chopra - I think he describes it very well, in a way that makes it easy to understand. Of course, a lot of sounded too good to be true, but when I experienced it for myself, I was blown away with the results! When you tap into that field, you really can play around with, and manipulate that energy directly yourself, and change your life in many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Dagon - Yes I've played around with the whole energy concept too

Transperson - maybe we are pure energy, but tell that to poor ole joe soap (myself included) cos when we touch ourselves we feel pure matter, yes I've read elsewhere that in reality we are pure energy, but I also believe one step at a time. Whilst I feel so interconnected, I also see matter, ie: my physical body, rocks, stones, etc. However I am a person who needs bounderies, etc. I believe that we each percieve certain things differently. Again, maybe Im wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭KnowItAll

I've been getting more and more interested in the power of mind lately. At first I thought it was bull but the more I read about it the more things started to make sense.

Here is an interesting site http://www.mindpowernews.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

McGinty wrote:
    I've read elsewhere that in reality we are pure energy, but I also believe one step at a time. Whilst I feel so interconnected, I also see matter

Try to experience it for yourself, don't believe because you've read it in a book, or because some guru or another says so; that is no match for direct experience. Initially I also read a lot about it, but it was only when I experienced the direct reality of it that it actually made sense. You can easily get in contact with a technique for the direct experience of reality, moving away utterly from mind based knowledge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement