Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are they worth???

• 19-04-2005 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭

My mother has loads of millennium 50p's, any idea how much are they worth??
    Thanks alot!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

They are not worth much over their face value as theres loads of them about. She'd be aswell cashing some in at the central bank and just hanging on to some of the nicer ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

what about the millenium pound coins? same I suppose?!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Exactly the same for them. A lot of people in Ireland kept them aside and gathered them in hundreds. You'll probably have seen people in the buy and sell asking for rediculous prices for them over the years but they can't sell them. You can cash them in for 1.27 each or if you're lucky you might get a dealer to take quantities off you for a little over that, maybe 1.50-1.60 Euro.

Again you should put aside the ones in nicer condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Thanks alot!!! I'll pass the message on!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭|Referee|

Blade wrote:
    Exactly the same for them. A lot of people in Ireland kept them aside and gathered them in hundreds. You'll probably have seen people in the buy and sell asking for rediculous prices for them over the years but they can't sell them. You can cash them in for 1.27 each or if you're lucky you might get a dealer to take quantities off you for a little over that, maybe 1.50-1.60 Euro.

Again you should put aside the ones in nicer condition.

What would i get for an
    1842 good condition pound note?
    I'd be happy to get anything, where should I go to se these "dealers"?

• Advertisement

What would i get for an
    1842 good condition pound note?
    I'd be happy to get anything, where should I go to se these "dealers"?

Can you supply me a scan of it? All depends on condition and what bank it's from. I'm not really into banknotes but if you can get me a scan I'll see what I can find out. I wouldn't just walk up to a dealer without knowing anything about it if I was you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭|Referee|

Blade wrote:
    Can you supply me a scan of it? All depends on condition and what bank it's from. I'm not really into banknotes but if you can get me a scan I'll see what I can find out. I wouldn't just walk up to a dealer without knowing anything about it if I was you.

No sorry don't think I can my scanner is broke, and sister in Koala Lumpor has the Digital camera!

ok pity cause I'm meeting some people on Friday who'd know exactly what it is worth. I'd buy it off you myself but I really haven't a clue what it's worth. Can you desribe it? What bank is it, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Greenman wrote:
    My mother has loads of millennium 50p's, any idea how much are they worth??
    Thanks alot!!!

someone put an ad in Buy & Sell in 1995
    'Millennium 50ps for sale. 40 pence each or nearest offer'
    using my friend's phone number as the number to ring,

They had to take the phone off the hook in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 johnnymexico

Hi,

I have a pair of Irish Silver Medals commemorating the centenary of
    the birth of Eamon de Valera (1882). I was wondering if someone could
    tell me anything about the value of them them.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I have a pair of Irish Silver Medals commemorating the centenary of
    the birth of Eamon de Valera (1882). I was wondering if someone could
    tell me anything about the value of them them.

You'd need to be more specific as theres lots of different types. Can you provide a picture of them? Do they have 'a nation once again' written on them? Are they boxed or with certificates etc etc...

Blade wrote:
    You'd need to be more specific as theres lots of different types. Can you provide a picture of them? Do they have 'a nation once again' written on them? Are they boxed or with certificates etc etc...

Reading from the leaflet that comes with the medals.....

The silver was mined from the Tynagh mine in County Galway. A limited quantity of Irish silver ore from the Tynagh mine was seperately smelted in France and reserved for use in the silver medals. (I believe this was the first time in modern times for Irish mined Silver to come available and the mine closed in late 1982). A certificate that the silver is of Irish origin accompanies the medals, and they both come in original presentation case. All in mint condition.

The Medals are 2 1/4 " in diameter and weigh at least 113 grms each.
    The edition limit is 1000. The medals were released in August 1982 and promoted at the time by Ogham Crafts Ltd of Dublin, in association with Spink & Son Ltd of St. James's, London.

The portrait on the obverse of the medal depicts Eamon de Valera in
    his early years and carries the enscription 'Eamon De Valera' '1882-1982'.
    The design on the reverse records some of the highlights of his career and achievements. - Chancelor of the National university of Ireland; Founder of Fianna Fail; Taoisheach; President of the League of Nations; and President of Ireland.

I'd appreciate any info- I can't find anything on them.

Wow, wouldn't mind one of those myself as I've never heard or seen anything that fits that description. So TBH I couldn't possibly give you a valuation on them. 113g is quiet big for a medal and 1000 is a small issue number, but going by similar medals I've seen I can tell you they are worth at least 80 euro each. Assuming it's 113g of .999 silver or there abouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I'll give ye 63.5 cents for each one?

lol Cheers for the offer Healio - I'll keep that in mind. :D

Blade - Where would I go to get something like this valued or even to sell them? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 katienormandy

Blade wrote:
    I've got one of these medals. They were minted when he died and proved very unpopular and most were melted down again (at least that's what somebody told me.)
    Description! On one side theres Dev's head and written all round is " Eamon de Valera Uachtaran na hEireann 1959-1973. The head is in relief and on the other side is a coat of arms in relief and the hall mark. Silversmith...JM CO.
    It's in a box and I have no paper....should I have??? I would like to sell it! What's it worth?

Advertisement