Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to speak to a working DJ

• 19-04-2005 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to speak to a working DJ who does 21st's, weddings, pubs/clubs (commercial music i.e 60's-90's etc...).
    Please PM me, thanks!!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

If its to book a DJ of that description you could try - www.stardjs.ie

They should fit the bill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Felixdhc wrote:
    If its to book a DJ of that description you could try - www.stardjs.ie

They should fit the bill!

No it's not to book a DJ just some advice I want to ask

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Are you looking for a mp3s on a cd to play at a 21stetc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I'd be such a DJ (as well as a dance DJ), with 8 years experience, so ask away Stephen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

FFS this is a dance music forum not some cheese :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

jonny68 wrote:
    FFS this is a dance music forum not some cheese :rolleyes:

No, it encompasses DJing as well as Dance and Electronic music tastes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I started this thread back in April '05. I was shocked that someone actually replied after this long. I'm no longer DJing or trying to be a DJ so I don't need any more advice.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

stephen p wrote:
    I started this thread back in April '05. I was shocked that someone actually replied after this long. I'm no longer DJing or trying to be a DJ so I don't need any more advice.
    Seems like the original person that bumped the thread got his post deleted for breaching the advertising rules.
    fecking hate it when people drag up old threads just to pimp their goods:mad:

nice bit of modding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

tman wrote:
    Seems like the original person that bumped the thread got his post deleted for breaching the advertising rules.

nice bit of modding

.. And I thought johnny68 was just being grumpy!

sweetie wrote:
    .. And I thought johnny68 was just being grumpy!

Not me mate i just think we should discuss dance music related things on here not cheesy wedding "DJ's" or the likes...
    ;)

• Advertisement

tman wrote:

nice bit of modding

Thats right, irish wedding something or other... ;)

Agree with the modding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

jonny68 wrote:
    Not me mate i just think we should discuss dance music related things on here not cheesy wedding "DJ's" or the likes...
    ;)

So what kind of DJ are you jonny of did you miss the title of this forum???

Dance / Electronic / DJing

Just do us all a favour, if youve nothing good to say dont bother! Whats you problem with wedding DJs or the like, they all do the same job....A DJ!!!

So what kind of DJ are you jonny of did you miss the title of this forum???

Dance / Electronic / DJing

Just do us all a favour, if youve nothing good to say dont bother! Whats you problem with wedding DJs or the like, they all do the same job....A DJ!!!

No need for smartness :rolleyes: ill happily discuss dj'ing on here as long as it relates to dance music not cheesy rubbish you hear at weddings,i don't DJ anymore i used to years ago not that i have to explain myself to someone like you.

Also i think you'll find there's a big difference between a wedding DJ and a dance music DJ anyone with any sense knows that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jonny68 wrote:
    Also i think you'll find there's a big difference between a wedding DJ and a dance music DJ anyone with any sense knows that:rolleyes:
    Carl Cox started off DJing at weddings and the like, actually quite a few big name DJ's did.

Why do some people on here get their knickers in a twist when someone mentions commercial DJing? :rolleyes:

If you're not interested in a thread don't read it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

jonny68 wrote:

As ive explained many times before Ive done all the big dance clubs! Played the pod, red box, sides and system in the 90s, leason street, done the big commercial clubs such as Hollywood Nights, and Club 92. All that stuff, Ive done it, it was great but you always end up the same way. Great gig, feck all money! Now I do weddings, and the commercial clubs. I earn more now than I did at the dance height in the 90s! I still get a buzz and I love it. Its not rocket science!

Theres no big difference between DJs or are you one of those guys that walks up to DJs in a club and goes 'ah howaya, im a dj meself'!! Tosser! If YOU had any respect for the business you would appreciate what each does!

I remember doing a gig with Judge Jules about 4 years ago, some college thing I was involved with and I was giving him a lift to the airport and I was in awe, this guy is a master and i told him so. He said we're all DJs at the end of the days and whether its the biggest clubs in the world or workmans club youre in, your still entertaining people!

As ive explained many times before Ive done all the big dance clubs! Played the pod, red box, sides and system in the 90s, leason street, done the big commercial clubs such as Hollywood Nights, and Club 92. All that stuff, Ive done it, it was great but you always end up the same way. Great gig, feck all money! Now I do weddings, and the commercial clubs. I earn more now than I did at the dance height in the 90s! I still get a buzz and I love it. Its not rocket science!

Theres no big difference between DJs or are you one of those guys that walks up to DJs in a club and goes 'ah howaya, im a dj meself'!! Tosser! If YOU had any respect for the business you would appreciate what each does!

I remember doing a gig with Judge Jules about 4 years ago, some college thing I was involved with and I was giving him a lift to the airport and I was in awe, this guy is a master and i told him so. He said we're all DJs at the end of the days and whether its the biggest clubs in the world or workmans club youre in, your still entertaining people!

Judges Jules a master :eek: you cannot be serious he churns out cheesy trance for teenage clubbers off their rockers,he did play decent tunes years ago though but nowadays definitely not.

If you are who you claim you are then you should know more than anyone that dance music DJ's are in a different league to wedding dj's.

Wedding/birthday/normal dj's are hardly "in the mix" i dj'ed last NYE In my mates bar in Dubai playing your normal crowd pleasers from 60's/70's/80's/90's for the pissed up crowd and they loved it,i got free gargle all nite,plus i got free accommodation and some money so i wasn't complaining,it was a "piece of p*ss" slap on one CD after the other unlike if your playing dance music in a club you wouldn't get away with that you would be pelted off the stage..

Fair play to you if you earn more money now then you did years ago,a lot of people i know who played clubs were never in it for the money anyway it was just a buzz,unless you get lucky your never gonna make it big as a dj on the dance music scene,i know ive been around long enogh..enough said anyway on the subject.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

jonny68 wrote:
    "in the mix"

Some of the most well known and even the very best DJ's cant mix at all.

I remember doing a gig with Judge Jules about 4 years ago, some college thing I was involved with and I was giving him a lift to the airport and I was in awe, this guy is a master and i told him so.
    Aw man!! You were doing so well until you said that...

jonny68 wrote:
    it was a "piece of p*ss" slap on one CD after the other unlike if your playing dance music in a club you wouldn't get away with that you would be pelted off the stage.
    I wouldn't say it's a piece of p1ss. I've seen many a commercial DJ clear a dancefloor.

Some funny stuff mentioned in the last number of posts! :D Being both a commecial and a dance/mix jock, this thread is starting to give me some more smiles!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

chern0byl wrote:
    Some of the most well known and even the very best DJ's cant mix at all.

Ah now, how could someone be a 'good DJ' if they can't mix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Exon wrote:
    Ah now, how could someone be a 'good DJ' if they can't mix?
    Read the crowd,knowing to play the right tunes at the right time.Average punter in a commercial/mainstream pub/club are not gunna go home talking about the Mixing the dj did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Read the crowd,knowing to play the right tunes at the right time.Average punter in a commercial/mainstream pub/club are not gunna go home talking about the Mixing the dj did.

i think hes taking about a "dance" dj.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

yea ok

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭shano

I want to get into DJing but not playing dance music as I am more into rock or alternative rock with the odd cheesey 70s/80s song thrown in for the laugh. If people are going to lose it if I try to discuss this here as it is not 100% pure DJing can you recommend an alternative forum in order to do so...

(All I want is some advice on how to get started - I am looking to play student pubs to start with)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

shano wrote:
    I want to get into DJing but not playing dance music as I am more into rock or alternative rock with the odd cheesey 70s/80s song thrown in for the laugh. If people are going to lose it if I try to discuss this here as it is not 100% pure DJing can you recommend an alternative forum in order to do so...

(All I want is some advice on how to get started - I am looking to play student pubs to start with)

tell them to f off djing is djing i personally wouldnt spin commercial or rock tunes but the name of the forum is dance AND electronic AND djing it isnt "dance djing" or anything else..............as regards getting started in you rstudent bar or whatever assuming your in college join as many societies as you can and try to get dj slots at their activities and move from their

Thanks for the advice. Alas I am out of college a while now (graduated in '97) but I am only just turned 30 so not that out of touch with student music / social scene. I think I'll have a chat with some of the bar managers that the students frequent and see what they say...

shano wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. Alas I am out of college a while now (graduated in '97) but I am only just turned 30 so not that out of touch with student music / social scene. I think I'll have a chat with some of the bar managers that the students frequent and see what they say...

dont go up saying your jsut starting out say that you did it for years while you were in college and now you want to get back into it.........if you say that you are jsut starting out they wont help(probably) because there are hundreds of djs with a little experience out there and they will obviously go for them first so blagging is the name of the game and as long as you perform on your first night then your in the door

PeakOutput wrote:
    dont go up saying your jsut starting out say that you did it for years while you were in college and now you want to get back into it.........if you say that you are jsut starting out they wont help(probably) because there are hundreds of djs with a little experience out there and they will obviously go for them first so blagging is the name of the game and as long as you perform on your first night then your in the door

now we're talking - that's the kind of info a chancer like me needs! I play gigs (guitar) regularily as it is so there's no fear of playing in front of people or talking to these dudes in the pubs... Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Mixing is for e-munching knick-knacks. Its all about the records - not the Skillz0rr.

magpie wrote:
    Mixing is for e-munching knick-knacks. Its all about the records - not the Skillz0rr.[/QU]
    another bullescheise comment

here is a rough setlist I am thinking of using - it'll give you an idea of the kind of music I intend to play http://blogs.boards.ie/node/422

please feel free to identify any potential clangers or make recommendations

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Looks good to me. Just have your first 2/3 records sorted out, then play it by ear - you'll need to react to what the punters seem to be digging as well.

Advertisement