Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy PANASONIC TH42PWD6 42" Plasma TV

Options
  • 19-04-2005 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Where is the cheapest one for sale?

It is seen as one of the best from posters over the web and I was hoping to have a good look at it and see if it falls into my budget - anyone know of prices, shops that hold it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

old model, superceded by the pw7, hasnt got any tuner or scarts as standar. 1 scart is 220 euro. richersounds.ie have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Thanks for that Lomb,

I was told that although the PW7 is the newer model that the PW6 is actually better quality? But as I see it doesn't come with a tuner or scarts, i think I will look elsewhere.

i just want to spend my money and be up and running - spending that amount of money, I want the TV to be perfect from the first set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Yeah, with no tuner or scarts, that's a big turnoff.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/

This site could be helpful, it allows you to search for types of equipment and then gives the search results with star ratings from all the home cinema and hifi magazines. Click on these for a review exactly as it was printed in the magazines. For the more popular models, there should be a review from each magazine, so you can get a good cross referenced idea. It's not much use for prices in real terms. However, I've found that with the pace of upgrades and techno advances, by the time they appear in those reviews, the sterling price will generally be now around the Euro price. sometimes even lower.

You then have the task of going looking for a price. But armed with the info from the reviews, you should be able to find your ideal gear and know that it has what you want and need, without wasting time and energy looking for prices for outdated gear.

Damo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Maxwell wrote:
    Thanks for that Lomb,

I was told that although the PW7 is the newer model that the PW6 is actually better quality? But as I see it doesn't come with a tuner or scarts, i think I will look elsewhere.

i just want to spend my money and be up and running - spending that amount of money, I want the TV to be perfect from the first set up.

maybe u are better waiting a year, hi def is around the corner. alternatively the lg screen is very good for the money although power city are a little dear for them, check out avforums.com

Thanks Damo, I did check there for a review of the Lg and it came in at 80% which isn't too bad especially as they usually prefer the higher spec models

I was in Dixons yesterday and checked the Samsung PS42D4SXX which costs €2269 and have to say that I was far from impressed - the picture was absolutely terrible, they were showing MTV and it looks better on an ordinary TV at home - actually I think it would have looked better on a crappy 14" black and white tv - it really was that bad.

The next one I was to check (visually in person) is the LG in Currys:

LG RZ42PX11 42" Plasma TV
    http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0312518377.1114080489@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccedaddehdkghjjcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&sku=274185&category_oid=-20090&fm=3&sm=0&tm=0

If this is not the one form me - I might go back to the trusty Phillips (I have a 20" LCD from Phillips that is 2 years old and the picture is just sublime and have always had good experiences with Philllips) - might go looking for this one instead:

PHILIPS 42PF9946

Will read the reviews aswell and see what happens

Buying a plasma in this range seems to be a mine field.......and needs ALOT of research!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I have that Plasma (42" LG) connected to a Sky box (rgb) and am not that happy with it. I never invested serious time in trying to set it up right and there appears to be later firmware version sout there that are better, but all the same I guess considering the money I spent (about 2600 with wall mount b4 xmas) I'm dissapointed.

Thanks for that pH, but what was it like when you buying it? Did it look good then and get worse or was it bad from the start?

Would appreciate your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

To be honest I'd read reasonable reviews on it, but DID only had it running off a crappy RF feed to it's very hard to tell in shop.

It hasn't deteriorated in any way (apart from the first unit which failed with vertical lines and had to be replaced!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

I have the Phillips 9946 and its a bad picture - even with prices dropping like a stone - its fine on dvd's but lots of streaking on tv

i have good experience of buying from richersounds.ie/.co.uk and they deliver here and you can go back to them.

hificomponents.ie offer brilliant prices but the descriptions are in german and i have no experience of them

best of luck - its worth the time and effort !!

Was in Currys today and had a look at the LG and the Philips and both myself and my wife preferred the Philips - and that was even looking at both a DVD and a TV and only a DVD with the LG.

Not really sure what to do now - but am definitely siding with the Philips. Just very disappointed with the level of experience (or lack of) the sales staff have - fair enough you can't expect much in Currys or Dixons, but I was in 2 sony centre's aswell and the staff are rude and unhelpful aswell as knowing sod all about the equipment you are looking to spend thousands on!

Currys - asked 2 different people and they told me totally different things and then wouldn't even want to discuss a reduction on the price if I bought a 30inch and a 42inch together.

Sony Centre Galway - very unhepful, bordering on arrogant, didn't know enough about what I wanted to buy - speakers and the connectivity involved.

Sony Centre Limerick - totally rude and uninterested in checking anything - pretty much what you see is what you get, no demo - nothing

Dixons Limerick - Jesus, what a nightmare, when you get to talk to someone they haven't a clue and they thought that the Samsung had a good picture when it quite clearly was terrible.

The best place so far has been Savins (Panasonic Centre) in Limerick - offered to show me speakers set up and working if I called back. Also very helpful and had a lot of knowledge and advised me on future reductions on end of life products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Michael Briscoe Electrix in Drogheda are doing a Panasonic 42 inch plasma screens at the moment dont know the model number but they are priced at €2999 reduced from €5250 dont know if thats a good deal or not but sounds it. The fellow in the Tv section is Damian.

Advertisement