Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how long to change owner??

Options
  • 19-04-2005 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

Question....

i got my car insured, and it passed the nct, but its not taxed

i sent off the VLC to change ownership into my name, but i can't tax it until i get the new cert back, anyone have an idea how long this takes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I was waiting about 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well it only took about 5 days for me but then again they are based in Shannon, Co Clare which is only around the corner from me.

Generally they are alot quicker than they used to be and it should take no more than 2 weeks. If it has been longer than this I would give them a call, just in case it got lost in the post or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

The motor tax office here in Dublin told me this:
    If the seller is willing to give you the completed vehicle licensing cert for change of ownership, you can bring it to your local motor tax office and submit it with your application for motor tax. The tax office will forward the cert to the Department of the Environment in Shannon for you and tax the car at the same time.

If the seller insists on forwarding the cert to the Department of the
    Environment themselves you will have to wait until the vehicle is registered in
    your name before you can tax it.

In other words, it would seem that if you hadn't sent off the VLC you would've been able to get the tax disc straight away at the motor tax office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Do'h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ernie Ball wrote:
    The motor tax office here in Dublin told me this:

In other words, it would seem that if you hadn't sent off the VLC you would've been able to get the tax disc straight away at the motor tax office.
    This is an extremely unwise move for the seller. Its the sellers responsiblity to send the documents to Shannon. If he hands it to the buyer, the buyer for naferious reasons may delay or not bother to send it away leaving the seller liable for all speeding/tax/parking offences.

The seller should be unwilling to give the docs to the buyer in any circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

I bought a car March 21st (its also out of tax as of 01 April) and only got the certificate back 15 April, when you ring up the VLC place in Shannon there's a message on the hold music saying what date the applications are being processed from,

Last week it was March 26th!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

I was waiting about 2 weeks as well and then another week to get the disc. The thing is you end up paying the tax from the date you bought the car so you might as well be on the road. While this is technically illegal you can hardly be expected to have your roadworthy, insured car sitting in your drive for up to 3 weeks (at least that was my rational).

Bond-007 wrote:
    This is an extremely unwise move for the seller. Its the sellers responsiblity to send the documents to Shannon. If he hands it to the buyer, the buyer for naferious reasons may delay or not bother to send it away leaving the seller liable for all speeding/tax/parking offences.

The seller should be unwilling to give the docs to the buyer in any circumstances.

Are you sure about that? If the seller and buyer have filled out and dated part B of the Vehicle Registration Certificate, surely the transfer of ownership takes place at that point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Are you sure about that? If the seller and buyer have filled out and dated part B of the Vehicle Registration Certificate, surely the transfer of ownership takes place at that point.
    Who's to know?

Nothing is official until the form has been submitted to the department.

Therefore the buyer could rip up the document, rob a bank using the car, and the cops would be banging on the door or the vendor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Ernie Ball wrote:

It's irrelevent if the Dept Of Environment don't receive the completed form. It's happened to me before - (I was still receiving notice of parking offences on the car) so I rang up and they said they didn't have any record of having received it. Had to go to the garda station to get a form signed to get a duplicate cert. Garda on duty said Dept of Environment lose them all the time.
    Therefore the buyer could rip up the document, rob a bank using the car, and the cops would be banging on the door or the vendor!

Thats why it's in your best interest as the seller to keep hold of the completed form and ensure it gets to the Dept of Environment safely. My advice would be to always send the cert by registered post - it's too important not to, expecially with all the fixed cameras/penalty points system in force now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭navi_5445

Car purchased mid March, got the VLC yesterday (20th Apr). So about four-five weeks in my case.

navi_5445 wrote:
    Car purchased mid March, got the VLC yesterday (20th Apr). So about four-five weeks in my case.

So what are you supposed to do during those 4-5 weeks? You can't tax the car (unless it's already taxed) without the VLC. Are you just supposed to drive around without a tax disc and hope the gardai understand? Or are you expected to refrain from driving your car for a month? And I assume one can't get a car NCT'd without a tax disc.

This system is stupid. In other countries, you can transfer ownership simply by the two parties signing the same document.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

This system is stupid. In other countries, you can transfer ownership simply by the two parties signing the same document.

Yes, but the change of ownership must be recorded officialy. Do you want loads of letters telling you that a car that you sold a month ago has 20 parking tickets, was doing 150km/h on the M7 and was involved in illeagal dumping?

I await your answer.

Bond-007 wrote:
    Yes, but the change of ownership must be recorded officialy. Do you want loads of letters telling you that a car that you sold a month ago has 20 parking tickets, was doing 150km/h on the M7 and was involved in illeagal dumping?

I await your answer.

My answer is that other countries seem to have resolved those problems. I bought a car in the US (which is, if anything, a more litigious society than Ireland) and the transfer of ownership took place on the spot and, from that moment on, the car ceased to be the seller's and became mine. Surely there ought to be a way to have a similar system here. All that you need is duplicate copies of signed documents. That way, if anything happens after the sale, the previous owner can show proof that the car was sold.

To listen to the government you'd think the concept of duplicate documents is somehow too complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 powerslidesrus

It took about 4-5 weeks for me to get the tax on my car.

I got my car in december - was stopped by a guard two weeks later - had the garage sticker in the disc holder saying tax was in the post and also the purchase receipt from the gargage. Guard didnt care and gave me an on the spot fine. :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It took about 4-5 weeks for me to get the tax on my car.

I got my car in december - was stopped by a guard two weeks later - had the garage sticker in the disc holder saying tax was in the post and also the purchase receipt from the gargage. Guard didnt care and gave me an on the spot fine. :mad:
    That's ridiculous. I presume you argued? How far did you go to get out of it?

I got stopped last night driving my brothers car, with no tax disc. I just told him my brother had the new disc, and the Garda told me if I turned up to the local station with proof that my insurance policy covered me to drive the car (it does) then I'd hear no more about it.

Consistent, eh?!

For what it's worth, I got my VRC/VLC (they are now a combined form) back in the post exactly one week after it was sent off to Shannon.

Advertisement