Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting MadWifi to work.

• 20-04-2005 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

I've got a Netgear pci card with an Atheros chipset so I got the madwifi drivers for my FC3 install. I got the drivers using cvs (I think) through cygwin I also got a src.rpm from somewhere! :rolleyes:
    Anyhow I tried doing a make then a make install but this failed when looking for the kernel source directory (I think). So basically I don't have a /lib/modules/ directory. Because of this I've no real idea what kernel version I have. Because of the wifi problem I havn't been able to get online so it's most likely a 2.4 or something like that I'd say. When I was doing the install the other day I just installed everything for the hell of it using a harddrive method (using the iso's so I thought I'd have the kernel source but sadly not :(
    So in short, How do I find out which kernel I have? Do I get the source from Heanet aswell? and will the madwifi make work then?
    I'm pretty new at the whole linux thing so you'll need some patience with me. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

*rolls eyes*

# uname -a // this will give you your kernel version

Get the source for it from where ever. -> google.ie is a good starting point

Get that much done and then come back.

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

ur kernel modules must be somewhere, also ull like need to get the kernel headers for the kernel you compiling agianst.
    btw ur missing Bugzilla from your sig, :( the single best piece of software to come from mozilla.
    /me stomps on bugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Cheers for the help on this guys, you got me pointed in the right direction. I've managed to update my kernel to a 2.6.11.7 version which was the latest I could find. My modules directory turned up. Maybe it's only visible as root? Anyhow I recompiled the kernel which was a bit tense as i wasn't really sure what I was doing, but once I got that done I untared the .tar.bz2 madwifi package and simply ran make, then make install. I've now got me some web access through FC3 :)
    Now I just have to figure out how to update automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

just for the record. FC3 doesn't include the kernel sources as part of the install, which in my opinion is bludy stupid for a distro that comes on 4 cds.

the first thing I do after installing FC3 is to use yum to install apt and then use apt to install synaptic, edit the sources.list and then its happy days(i.e you can install anything from there, e.g kernel sources, new kernels, the mp3 plugin for xmms.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement