Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confidentiality

Options
  • 20-04-2005 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just curious to know how others feel about this. I was made aware that a lecturer was discussing the progress of a student in her class with other students in the class i.e. status of coursework etc.

Is there nothing to prevent this happening, or is there a complaint system in place whereby a student can seek some sort of apology for this kind of thing?

The student who's work was discussed is quite upset at this as the people his work was discussed with are classmates and they wouldn't be particularly familiar with his circumstances etc. so it was a little presumptuous of a lecturer to behave in this way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

I'm sure she could complain to the students union or the dean of her college...

My girlfriend was on a train from Dublin to Limerick and heard two lecturers discussing a student in one of their classes. They were talking about how he was an under acheiver and how they even looked back into his Leaving Cert results and these proved he wouldn't go far in University! She nearly went over to them but when they saw the look on her face, they quietened down fast...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Whatever about two lecturers discussing a student, for a lecturer to comment on a student to other students is quite serious in my opinion. Whether it's to say they seem like they're having trouble, or to say they haven't handed in work etc. From speaking to the guy I felt she hadn't really given him a chance to explain himself and his situation before she went and did this.

It's understandable that he'd be upset. I know I would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Amz wrote:
    I'm just curious to know how others feel about this. I was made aware that a lecturer was discussing the progress of a student in her class with other students in the class i.e. status of coursework etc.

Is there nothing to prevent this happening, or is there a complaint system in place whereby a student can seek some sort of apology for this kind of thing?

The student who's work was discussed is quite upset at this as the people his work was discussed with are classmates and they wouldn't be particularly familiar with his circumstances etc. so it was a little presumptuous of a lecturer to behave in this way.

Did the lecturer identify the student concerned in discussing his/her work in class?
    If so, it sounds pretty unprofessional to me.

There are some things he could do. If he doesn't want to confront the lecturer concerned, he can go to the course coordinator or head of department. He should get his class rep. involved and they should get some advice from the SU education officer who can intervene and if necessary take the matter higher (such as the dean of faculty or Academic Council).
    The college takes any sort of victimisation or harrassment very seriously so if your friend feels that that has happened, I'd make an appointment with the SU and let them sort it out.
    This sort of thing has probably happened before. Good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

If the lecturer mentioned the student's name/details It probably goes against the data protection act. The student gave the assignment to the lecturer for the purpose of being graded, he used this for other purposes. The rules and regulations in colleges are very strict on this type of stuff (i work in a college). Check out www.dataprivacy.ie to see if you can find more information and contact the students union in the college.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

This reminds me of one of the lecturers posting quotes from a fourth year exam he gave a few months back on his blog. The shíte did hit the fan. Dunno if anything official was done about it, but the blog disappeared rightly fast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

oh forgot to say he was takin the pi$$ out of the students concerned.

Advertisement