Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northside attitudes vs Southside attitudes.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭*Sassy*

I think anyone here who is saying "lighten up", "it's only a bit of craic" etc is obviously from the Southside.

Funkstard, why do you feel the need to make a joke every time you meet someone from the Northside? Frankly I think that's pathetic. There's a difference between joking with your friends because they are from the country or something, and insulting (which is effectively what you are doing) are complete stranger because of where they're from.

Also, it is absolutely not true that there are more "skangbangs" on the Northside. Do you have some sort of proof or evidence of that? Because if you were to find some I'm pretty sure you would find that the opposite is true. Did you know that Dublin 8 had (possibly still has) the highest concentration per head of heroin addicts in Europe? Oh, and isn't that on the Southside?

I suggest you grow up and take a look around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Armen Tanzarian

*Sassy* wrote:
    I think anyone here who is saying "lighten up", "it's only a bit of craic" etc is obviously from the Southside.

Funkstard, why do you feel the need to make a joke every time you meet someone from the Northside? Frankly I think that's pathetic. There's a difference between joking with your friends because they are from the country or something, and insulting (which is effectively what you are doing) are complete stranger because of where they're from.

Also, it is absolutely not true that there are more "skangbangs" on the Northside. Do you have some sort of proof or evidence of that? Because if you were to find some I'm pretty sure you would find that the opposite is true. Did you know that Dublin 8 had (possibly still has) the highest concentration per head of heroin addicts in Europe? Oh, and isn't that on the Southside?

We have just proven Northsiders cant take a joke. Get over it. If the southside is just as bad slag us back.
    Just my 20 euros worth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Gwan the southside boys! Liberties forevah!

Can we change the name of the southside to "The Real Dublin" I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

SebtheBum wrote:
    2. Just because you happen to be from D4 doesn't neccessarily make you one of these ppl. (Although I went out wit a girl a few months back who was from Clonskeagh and yep - She was the archetypal D4 head!!!! F**kin headwrecker :rolleyes: )
    Seb I'm gonna need a name here! I've lived in Clonskeagh since i was a 5 year old so I'm fairly sure i know everyone around here - I'm interested in finding out if it is the girl i think it is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

*Sassy* wrote:

What places are in Dublin 8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Nidge wrote:
    What places are in Dublin 8?

I think part Of Phoenix park area and Kilmainham are in D8...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

*Sassy* wrote:

Sorry now, but when did I say I 'insult' EVERY northsider I meet?

I say it as a JOKE. Ever hear of one of these? They're not supposed to be taken seriously and are a good indicator of a persons sense of humour judging by their reaction (your reaction speaks for itself). I love saying it to people like you, because you get so defensive and worked up over something so blatantly inconsequential and stupid as what side of the river you happen to live on.

You seem to have some inferiority complex about coming from the northside, or people who offend northsiders. It's a ****ing joke, and the sooner you learn that and not get so offended and try to refute a mindless slag with a proper argument the better, because it makes you seem a little too desperate to defend yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I'm from the northside originally (marino). Marino is a pretty nice area not a stranger to hassel but i wouldnt call it rough.

Since leaving Marino I have lived in the worse area's of Dublin inner city. St Teresa's Gardens, Dolphin's Barn and now inchicore. All of these area's are south of the liffey and are 100x worse than marino was. I was expelled from my school in marino and had to spend 3 grand on 6th year in Bruce college.

Bruce college is a private cram school for the children of VERY wealthy people. I had to take a loan as parents attitude were "you got kicked out you are paying for private school". My interaction there with people from very wealthy backgrounds makes me laugh to this day.

I dont partically like or dislike them too much. In some ways I kinda feel sorry for them becuase they are so intimitdated by things in this city. They also largely dont seem to have any concept of the value for money and how some people mightnt be in their same situation. These are all failings and a sign of ignorance.

Bottom line is that there are bad area's and good area's evenly divided up the greater Dublin area. However southside has its reputation becuase of the presence of a very large amount of money around the D4 area (similarly this level of wealth can be seen in further norside area's such as sutton and more so Howth.) D4 is the "spirtual home" of big money in Dublin and thus these sterotypes exsist.

When with people who seem to have a attitude and are proud to be from a wealthy southside area I play up my northside role a little but for fun and usually get a reaction.

I was dumped by a girl in bruce college after she stayed the weekend in my flat in Doplhin's Barn. The saturday night we were disturbed by the car in the driveway next door being burnt out and sadly she saw the open dealing going on across the road when going to the spar. Needless to say a born a bred donnybrook girl didnt hang around :)

People have different views on the world thats just life I guess *shrug*

ChRoMe

Whatever happened Bruce college? Did the Institute buy it?

SOUTHSIDE.jpg

• Advertisement

ChRoMe wrote:
    Since leaving Marino I have lived in the worse area's of Dublin inner city. St Teresa's Gardens, Dolphin's Barn and now inchicore. All of these area's are south of the liffey and are 100x worse than marino was. I was expelled from my school in marino and had to spend 3 grand on 6th year in Bruce college.

That's like me saying : I left my home in <insert decent southside area> to live in Darndale/Finglas/Hartstown etc. and they were 100x worse than where I lived. ;)
    ChRoMe wrote:
    I was dumped by a girl in bruce college after she stayed the weekend in my flat in Doplhin's Barn. The saturday night we were disturbed by the car in the driveway next door being burnt out and sadly she saw the open dealing going on across the road when going to the spar. Needless to say a born a bred donnybrook girl didnt hang around :)

Would you blame her? Is that a lifestyle you would want your own daughter to settle for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭o Fiac

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

yea its not really that funny example= at a schools function once sum blackrock heads startes talking to us, when they realised we we're from Swords they shook their heads and walked off! Amusing story, yet quiet offensive!

It can be funny, but alot of people (southsiders) actaully do take it seriously!
    ROSS O'CARROLL KELLY IS NOT A REAL PERSON!

and if he was he'd have been shot by now! :cool:

yea its not really that funny example= at a schools function once sum blackrock heads startes talking to us, when they realised we we're from Swords they shook their heads and walked off! Amusing story, yet quiet offensive!

It can be funny, but alot of people (southsiders) actaully do take it seriously!
    ROSS O'CARROLL KELLY IS NOT A REAL PERSON!

and if he was he'd have been shot by now! :cool:

Haha, that happened a friend of mine too. He was talking to some girl in a club, and when he told him what school he was in she walked away :D

Well, It might be a joke for you, but it just stops being funny
    after a while beacause people like you are banging it out constantly
    Because they think its hi-larious.
    Which it isn't.

Once again I reiterate, I don't go around 'banging it out constantly' When I do say it it's funny, I know the stage when it gets annoying and I don't go there

Well, put it this way, if you were in a situation in which you
    Constantly either had to make a joke of were you lived, and laugh it off
    Or get pissed off, I can guarantee that you wouldn't be laughing for too long.
    It's not even the thing that's said, very occasionally it can actually be funny, but just the attitude behind it is infuriating

What attitude? It's a J-O-K-E. If it's annoying you then tell the person to shut the **** up. You've gotten the perception of how I make fun of northsiders all wrong. I don't constantly chide them about it, I'll just make a witty comment when they mention it. And I only say it to people I can judge will laugh about it

Anyway, it's tasteless to annoy someone for fun. A sign of bad character

Ah féck off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Everyone knows the real scum are the Westies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

to the tune of "Choose Life" (theme from Train Spoting).......
    >
    >Choose Leinster
    >
    >Choose the leinster senior cup, choose private schools, choose to teach
    >ur kids to chant violently in unison.....Choose Gonzaga, Clongowes,
    >Blackrock & Terenure .....Choose to have pathethic schoolboy spats in
    >the south of spain....Choose the Burlington.
    >
    >Choose the Donnybrook Friday night experience...choose Kielys...choose 4
    >course pre match meals in the berkley court with a guest
    >speaker...Choose 4*4's, a villa in marbella...choose Lillies....choose..
    >
    >Choose a centre who uses his position as irish captain to slurp his way
    >to personal riches...choose another centre who gets 'south side'
    >emblazoned on the tongues of his boots...choose third choice munster
    >scrum halves...choose a left wing who wants to sell you some
    >pipes...choose ollie Campbell ahead of tony ward...choose to try to
    >eliminate from existence 1 of your fellow provinces because they might
    >take ur Heineken cup place...choose the blazers..
    >
    >Choose blueshirts, choose Bank of scotland ....choose noveau trendy
    >gaelic names likes ruairi & oisin when 15 years ago u wanted to deny the
    >gaelic language even existed... choose not to support your team on away
    >trips eventhough ur filthy rich.....choose apathy instead of blood,
    >sweat & tears....choose not to beat the all blacks.
    >
    >Choose a snob value career in law, banking or stockbroking where u hope
    >ur private school education will compensate 4 ur lack of ability..choose
    >old boys reunions..choose to take a half day from work to go see a
    >senior cup game...choose.. ...choose to turn out on Saturday with beer
    >belly attached for blackrock z team...
    >
    >choose to be a west brit, choose the queen, choose sterling...choose...
    >
    >Choose Leinster

I'm a northsider who likes rugby,i'm not a hugger. ya can't stereotype northside/southside because for every ballymun there's a sallynoggin and for every dun laoghire there's a clontarf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

That....

WAS ABSOLUTELY F**KING BRILLIANT!!!! :D:D:D
    I wanna nick parts of that and put replace my sig with it!

Nice one mate. Where'd ya find that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

My name is now noveau trendy on the southside??

I'm bleedin' scahrleh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

SebtheBum wrote:
    Where'd ya find that?

one of the girls on my rugby team sent it to me

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Liffeyman

What you call a BMW been driven by a southsider, daddys car

• Advertisement

Liffeyman wrote:
    What you call a BMW been driven by a southsider, daddys car

What do you call a BMW being driven by a northsider?

Dealers Car.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Liffeyman

Kernel wrote:
    What do you call a BMW being driven by a northsider?

Dealers Car.

Ye Muppet you even got the joke wrong

Its, what you call a northsider in a BMW, a joy-rider

Ye see even a northsider can make a joke about himself southsider would just get it wrong again and again and again lol

Liffeyman wrote:
    Ye Muppet you even got the joke wrong

Its, what you call a northsider in a BMW, a joy-rider

Ye see even a northsider can make a joke about himself southsider would just get it wrong again and again and again lol

What do you mean I got the joke wrong? I made up my own joke lad!
    :rolleyes:

Too busy sniffing glue in school I suppose....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

How do ye get a northsider to wear a condom?

Put a fred perry crest on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 koala

north siders are clearly the best, all the southsiders try and be big smad lads but ya no it just dont work, burbery caps and school uni's ewww dont even try :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I have lived on and off in Dublin for about 8 years now, from Tallaght to Clondalkin to the City centre. Having had the oppurtunity to 'mingle' with people on both sides of the divide, i have made some conclusions which i believe are not at all erroneous.

For the most part, people on the Northside are genuine, hard-working people. Their a decent sort, although somewhat toughened perhaps by urban life. On the Southside, which is more affluent, you do have some nice people. I just havent met any of them yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

CCCP^ wrote:
    On the Southside, which is more affluent, you do have some nice people. I just havent met any of them yet.

LOL :D
    Brilliant...

CCCP^ wrote:
    On the Southside, which is more affluent, you do have some nice people. I just havent met any of them yet.

What a ridiculous statement. :rolleyes: Perhaps you are just not the type of person that people like to be around? You obviously haven't met many people from the southside anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

tbh im pretty much ashamed to be on the southside at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ncho

I feel that if you are from the north side that you are an arsehole because they are constantaly in your face but all the girls from the south side are stuck up bitches... as i am from the south side i know both of these from playing GAA against the roughest sides in the north of Dublin and going to the disco's in the south side.Both sides are f**ked up!!!!!! and it is true D.4 people are arrogant and stuck up there own holes..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement