Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northside attitudes vs Southside attitudes.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭melancholymaidn

*Sassy* wrote:

And melancholymaidn, how in the HELL have you managed to get mugged 5 times???? That is pretty bad in fairness. The words 'clueless' and 'sucker' immediately spring to mind...

i know..... :( being young,small female and in town most nights of the week it tends to happen because of general scum! im not really somebody that can kick their ass as much as id like to be able to claim.... learned to be more aware 2 phones and some money later.... :o 5times is nothing compared to stories ive heard tho! hospitable city-dont ya think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭*Sassy*

I'm not trying to have a go at you but you seriously need to think about why this has happened so many times. I'm a petite female, have been robbed (as in had bags robbed from under the table etc) but never mugged, touch wood! You should try to avoid situations where this might happen, be more assertive, don't talk on your phone, don't have expensive items on display etc etc. To be honest, in terms of cities, Dublin is pretty low on the list of dangerous places. I've lived in a few other places and have always felf relatively safe on the streets of Dublin compared to cities in France, Spain for example. Are you actually from Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Heh, i'm actually amazed it took more than 10 posts for this thread to turn into a bitching fest :eek: :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭melancholymaidn

*Sassy* wrote:
    You should try to avoid situations where this might happen, be more assertive, don't talk on your phone, don't have expensive items on display etc etc. Are you actually from Dublin?

i used to put myself in bad situations (walking to station alone after gigs etc) but never do anymore! as for expensive items on show-well i dont own any so i dunno what they think theyll get from me! yeah im from dublin,it may not be bad,but i am a VERY unlucky person when it comes tyo certain things an i think thats what a lot of it comes down to. i know people a lot less streetwise than me who parade their fancy belongings aroung-but nothings ever happened to them! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Southsidersrock

*Sassy* wrote:
    As a Northsider I get really pi$$ed off about this from time to time. I'd just like to point out NOW that the rest of the thread will probably generalise north/south siders ie. I am aware there are exceptions.

One thing that particularly gets on my wick is how Southsiders come across as being PROUD of the fact that they get lost once they pass O'Connell Bridge. A 24 yr old girl at work, university graduate (UCD however) did not know how to get to Henry St. She is certainly not the first person like this I have come across.

Another thing that I find extremely irritating is the "ah, aren't you great" attitude I get when people discover that I have an honours degree from a top uni, speak 4 languages and have lived in a few other countries. As in, it must have been so hard to rise above the scum to get that far. Hello???? I live in a really nice part of the Northside, went to a good school etc. We don't all live in clay huts!!!

I know I could have posted some more well thought out and sensible points, but this gets me a bit annoyed.

One thing I will say about most Northsiders (and probably a lot of non D4 head Southsiders) is that as we are growing up, regardless of what area you live in, there is more variety people-wise so we are less sheltered/ignorant. For example, I went to a good school in Dublin 9. In my school there were kids from all sorts of places; town, Clontarf, Ballymun, Glasnevin etc, who all mixed together and didn't just see one way of life (ie. ponies, designer clothes) and look down on anyone who is different. Ignorance is bliss as they say.

Finally, the most annoying of all these people are people from the bloody country. "Oh no, I'm not looking for any apartments on the Northside. Gawd I wouldn't live there!!". Eh why.... exactly? They can't even answer with a good reason!
    I dont know what you are talking about if you are from the the northside then clearly you are a pover and you even had to get a scolarship for college !!Don't brag about being to countries everyone i know has been to at least 20 different countries . You clearly are a knacker alroysh so get over it !! like OMG!! Who do these norhsiders think they are !!Firstly of course people wouldn't want to live on the nothside like you'd get raped and knived i can also speak 4 languages and i am merely 16 years of age so get over yourself age !how can you say you went to a good school public schools don't count clearly ! I don't think they even have private schools in the northside , the only reason you go to college is because people like my daddy pay taxes for it ! Don't try and pretend your like the rest of us there is a small percentage of 1st class people including the following : Girls from loreto foxrock ,Dalkey,Beaufort,the green,not crumlin ewwwh ! Mt anvil and i suppose i should put down alex . Guys from Rock,Belvo,Gonzaga ,Michaels,Terenure,Marys and thats about it sorry if i left your school out but i only have gave a limited amount of space .The only school i know of is belvo that is from the northside and whom i would freely talk to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Oh dear god :eek:
    That's just....pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

like OMG!!
    OMG indeed.

There are some coherent and intelligent replies in this thread and then there's the one I've quoted from.

This confrontational attitude towards what daddy does or pays for really doesn't do Dublin any favours. Just as well that I know there are plenty of people living there that aren't complete wallies.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

That is a complete rip the piss post. Only a fool would say otherwise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

blah blah blah blah roysh OMG blah blah blah

Obviously a troll, spam etc. etc. and not even funny. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kurisu

Southsidersrock is clearly a girl disconnected from reality

• Advertisement

You bumped a thread from October just to say that?
    Some people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 x_TC_x

I dont know what you are talking about if you are from the the northside then clearly you are a pover and you even had to get a scolarship for college !!Don't brag about being to countries everyone i know has been to at least 20 different countries . You clearly are a knacker alroysh so get over it !! like OMG!! Who do these norhsiders think they are !!Firstly of course people wouldn't want to live on the nothside like you'd get raped and knived i can also speak 4 languages and i am merely 16 years of age so get over yourself age !how can you say you went to a good school public schools don't count clearly ! I don't think they even have private schools in the northside , the only reason you go to college is because people like my daddy pay taxes for it ! Don't try and pretend your like the rest of us there is a small percentage of 1st class people including the following : Girls from loreto foxrock ,Dalkey,Beaufort,the green,not crumlin ewwwh ! Mt anvil and i suppose i should put down alex . Guys from Rock,Belvo,Gonzaga ,Michaels,Terenure,Marys and thats about it sorry if i left your school out but i only have gave a limited amount of space .The only school i know of is belvo that is from the northside and whom i would freely talk to

Isn't Castleknock College private? x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

People are people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

in fairnest the stereotypes do have some truth in them. compare grafton street to henry street on a saturday afternoon, the stereotype southsiders are on grafton street and the stereotype northsiders are on henry street. the stereotypes werent JUST made up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I live in a rich northside suburb surrounded by the poshest ppl you will ever meet. The stereotype probrably relates more to the innercity ppl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kurisu

oh god, ive brought this damm issue back from the dead , please people dont continue posting hear its old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Then why the f*ck did you bring the bloody thing back? Jesus christ...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Who actually cares? I don't mean to generalise. I just hate knackers and scumbags. Pretty simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Bobzy wrote:
    Hey. I don't care if your from the northside or southside, but ye need to see this Liberty Gifting programme. Its class and doing well in other parts of the country. I'll be traveling up to Dublin on Wed next to talk to some people.Email me if your interested to know more.

pjb_tec@hotmail.com

Pyramid scheme operators to be quizzed by gardaí
    By Catherine Shanahan
    GARDAÍ are to question a number of people involved in the controversial Liberty pyramid system following formal complaints from investors who lost money in the €20 million scheme.

At least two people have contacted gardaí in West Cork and made written statements claiming they were lured into the scheme under false pretences.

Gardaí expected a flood of other complaints as the scheme, which has spread from Cork to Kerry, Clare, Limerick and the west of Ireland, begins to collapse.

“These people were given to understand they could retrieve their money if they wanted out of the scheme, but this was not the case.

“Those persons alleged to be involved in running the scheme will now be interviewed by gardaí,” a garda spokesperson said.

Chief Superintendent Richard Duggan also confirmed gardaí are investigating a number of incidents, possibly linked with reprisals from those who lost out in the scheme. These include:

He confirmed a number of meetings in relation to the scheme had ended in disarray at the weekend.

These included a meeting in Skibbereen, Co Cork, at which €200,000 was collected. However, all the money was returned to investors the following day.

There was also a tense standoff at a meeting in Bantry, Co Cork, after investors discovered that members of one family were the main beneficiaries.

Meetings continue to take place around Cork city and county, with large crowds gathering in the Vienna Woods Hotel in Glanmire on Tuesday night.

Gardaí are also investigating claims students at another secondary school in West Cork are operating a version of the Liberty scheme.

“We’ve been hearing about school kids investing €250 each but we are still waiting for a formal complaint before we can act,” the spokesperson said.

Yesterday, the Irish Examiner revealed investigations were under way in a West Cork secondary school, as well as in two schools in Mallow, Co Cork.

This followed reports that pupils were operating Speedball, a watered-down version of the Liberty scheme, where the initial investment is €1,000. Participation in the Liberty scheme requires a minimum investment of €5,000.

Separately, gardaí in Cork confirmed they would be speaking to the principal of a college for repeat Leaving Certificate students following rumours of student involvement in Speedball.

In what gardaí described as a “sinister development” it has also emerged that early investors in Liberty offered loans to others to involve them in the scheme.

The spokesperson said €5,000 was given if the person agreed to pay back €6,000 and €10,000 if the investor agreed to pay back €12,000. This equated to illegal moneylending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 maedhbhykins

Basically, I think people all want to cast certain people away from them. No one can accept that everyone's the same as them unless they're in a certain group eg: southside, northside.
    The appealing thing about southside is that you can appear rich, you "have the right to look down on people" and slag off so called "povs" or people from the northside or country.
    And the "knacker" thing is all about being able to seem tough, hardcore and the "right to start on people".
    Then in between these stereotypes are the emos, goths, boggers, indie kids, nerds etc etc. Everyone fits into a stereotype but it's not always a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Everyone fits into a stereotype but it's not always a bad thing.

I don't think that's true in the slightest. You're just talking a load of carp!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Kernel wrote: »
    Can we change the name of the southside to "The Real Dublin" I wonder?

Nope. A real city would have its own airport, GPO and super-duper stadium like Croker. :D

What do southsiders do now that their games are being played in Croker? Do they realise it's on the Northside?

Jesus

rb_ie wrote: »
    Jesus

He was a Northsider. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

As an immigrant I find the whole thing bizarre. Some of the roughest parts of the city seem to be south of the river, and some of the most beautiful parts are to the north, so I can only assume people use it as shorthand for rich and poor. Some of the snobbery around in Dublin is astounding - for someone to be at such pains to disassosciate themselves from half the inhabitants of their city is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Camac Hibs wrote: »
    As an immigrant I find the whole thing bizarre

As an Irishman I find the whole thing bizarre. I reckon this thread is mainly under 16s... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I've been spending a bit of time over the last two weeks over the North Side, and I can't believe how different it is, and I don't mean just the people just the houses, the streets, everything.

What do people here consider south and North Side?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Slow coach wrote: »
    What do southsiders do now that their games are being played in Croker? Do they realise it's on the Northside?

They get their drivers to bring them there, they don't need to know where it is. :D

(I've been D15 -> D16 -> D4, born on the north side, school on the north side, college on the south side, work on the south side.)

I've known very posh northsiders and well dodgy southsiders. In my experience the "divide" is either b****x or someone taking the mickey.

What do people here consider south and North Side?

You do know a river runs through it, don't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Slow coach wrote: »
    He was a Northsider. :)

indeed, he never worked a day just hung around with his mates getting in trouble with the law until he finally got banged up for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement