Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northside attitudes vs Southside attitudes.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Slow coach wrote: »
    You do know a river runs through it, don't you?

Yeah but there are places in the west of Dublin, that are called Southside, but obviously are not. I'm talking about the non Geographical North and Southside divide.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Yeah but there are places in the west of Dublin, that are called Southside, but obviously are not. I'm talking about the non Geographical North and Southside divide.

Like where? To the west, Castleknock might be a "southside" candidate but I've never heard it referred to as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Tallaght.

Tallaght is southside. Anyone who says otherwise is clearly an idiot.

The divide is geographical, nothing more. When people joke about northside v southside they are generalising rather than categorising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

IRLConor wrote: »
    Tallaght is southside. Anyone who says otherwise is clearly an idiot.

The divide is geographical, nothing more. When people joke about northside v southside they are generalising rather than categorising.

I agree, although I've heard it been referred to as "West Dublin". I think that's a bit more accurate. As for Castleknock being on the southside....wtf?

• Advertisement

Joe Robot wrote: »
    As for Castleknock being on the southside....wtf?

I know. :rolleyes: When I lived there I'd occasionally get comments like "Ah, yeah, but it's not really on the northside".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

northside= above the liffey= odd numbers d3, d15, etc!
    southside=south of the liffey= even numbers d2, d4, d8, d18, etc!
    only exception is aras an uachtaran, the president gets a southside number lol.
    jk: what seperates man from animal?....the liffey lol
    jk: whats brown, dirty and stuck to the side of a satellite dish?...a council house

i'm sorry ha too much rock reading has made me like this lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

These days Dublin should be classified into 3 areas,Northside,Southside and Westside.They are 3 completely different areas IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I took the bus with a Dutch friend from Mountjoy Square to Finglas and he couldn't believe how modern and nice the place was so far from the city centre. The parks, buildings, etc. all looked great with the sun shining down. I don't think he'd be saying the same if I took him on the Luas to Tallaght. And I'm from the southside.

So what is West Dublin? Dublin 20 (Chapelizod, Palmerstown), Dublin 22 (Clondalkin, Neilstown), Dublin 24 (Tallaght, Saggart), Dublin 15 (Blanchardstown, Castleknock, Clonsilla, Mulhuddart), Lucan, Rathcoole??

By far and away the majority of D4's are in South county Dublin along the Dart Line. Are they southsiders?

• Advertisement

I would see anything past the west end of the phoenix park as been in West Dublin,so yes most of the areas you mentioned would be in West Dublin.The west side is huge and far to big to be lumped in with ether the northside or the southside.

I don't use/like the term D4s but I would consider anything south of the river to be on the south side.

Then I'd say the difference between the northside and the southide is that area along the dart line. Although, I went to school in Ballsbridge and there was a few nutters going there from Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey, Shankhill, etc. The school I went to would have been the upper class public school of D4 and the place was mental at the best of times.

There is definitely a Nice coastal area that runs the full lent of Dublin,not many bad areas on the Dublin Coast.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    By far and away the majority of D4's are in South county Dublin along the Dart Line. Are they southsiders?

obviously lol, yeah the dart line thats basically southside as in like d4 type athing,hence the term dorsh speak, but there are alot of rough areas on the southside obviously like:rolleyes:dolphins barn for example...
    foxrock as far as i know is the only place in dublin that doesnt have council houses

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Baggsys

there is a council estate in foxcock. my primary school was beside it.

aliqueenb wrote: »
    obviously lol
    It's not that obvious. This is the Dublin City forum. Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey, etc. are not Dublin City. In fact, you described the southside as the even numbers of the postcodes. Those places don't even have postcodes.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    It's not that obvious. This is the Dublin City forum. Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey, etc. are not Dublin City. In fact, you described the southside as the even numbers of the postcodes. Those places don't even have postcodes.

oh sorry:rolleyes: lol:p

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭unit88

i do not tink it is not only a north vs south i live on the south side in shankill because i live in a small estate with prodomently filled with so called rich people i am concidered posh but to the likes of d4 people i am the scum of the earth. can any one explain this

obviously lol, yeah the dart line thats basically southside as in like d4 type athing,hence the term dorsh speak, but there are alot of rough areas on the southside obviously like:rolleyes:dolphins barn for example...
    foxrock as far as i know is the only place in dublin that doesnt have council houses

Ehhh... the Dart goes up on the northside too! :mad:

Ehhh... the Dart goes up on the northside too! :mad:

yeah but the good areas like malahide i think no?:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

So, if it doesn't have a DART line, it's not a good area?

EDIT Ignore that, I don't want an answer. Swore I wouldn't get involved in these stupid threads

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Like where? To the west, Castleknock might be a "southside" candidate but I've never heard it referred to as such.
    I know. :rolleyes: When I lived there I'd occasionally get comments like "Ah, yeah, but it's not really on the northside".

I lived in Castleknock for over 20 years and never once heard it referred to as being a Southside candidate.
    I agree, although I've heard it been referred to as "West Dublin". I think that's a bit more accurate. As for Castleknock being on the southside....wtf?

WTF is right. Admittedly many from the area would like to be Southsiders but they eventually get to live the dream when they feck off to Trinners and UCD for college.

Collie D wrote: »
    So, if it doesn't have a DART line, it's not a good area?

EDIT Ignore that, I don't want an answer. Swore I wouldn't get involved in these stupid threads

ehmmm no lol, foxrock doesn't have a dart line as far as i know and that is pretty much the bestest place really in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 heinzes9100

some southsiders are VERY stuck up and why do they they all love rugby?? football takes way more skill

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

some southsiders are VERY stuck up and why do they they all love rugby?? football takes way more skill

You stereotyping fool. Every area has stuck-up people, every area has it's fair share of football, rugby, cricket, etc... supporters. You're nothing but a WUM.

wtf is a wum, and no im not stereotyping its a fact that most rugby supporters in dublin come from the southside imo.

p.s i support shels as well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

wtf is a wum, and no im not stereotyping its a fact that most rugby supporters in dublin come from the southside imo.

p.s i support shels as well

WUM = Wind Up Merchant

No it's actually not a fact, I know plenty of rugby supporters from the Northside, possibly there is more from the Southside but that's because Leinster and Ireland all play in Dublin 4, that being the southside.

p.s. I don't support Shels, I live my life around them literally.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

You stereotyping fool. Every area has stuck-up people, every area has it's fair share of football, rugby, cricket, etc... supporters. You're nothing but a WUM.

Seriously though?

Go to Foxrock and then come over to Santry.
    Definitely more stuck up people in Foxrock:D

That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard!

If you use that thinking then I must live in the greatest place on earth. :rolleyes: There are 3 DART stations within 20 minutes walking distance from my house and I don't live in Malahide.

• Advertisement

a bit of me cant wait 4 this recession because then those d4 heads are going to have a HELL of a lot of debt

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement