Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northside attitudes vs Southside attitudes.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

a bit of me cant wait 4 this recession because then those d4 heads are going to have a HELL of a lot of debt

Some of them will, some of them won't. The people who are going to suffer under craploads of debt will predominantly be people who bought houses over the last few years. Most of those will not have bought in D4 (at least not the richer bits of D4).

I suspect that most of the major spending done by D4 people over the last few years was financed by wealth not credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 will-i-am

I know everyone is having a bash at the south-siders but it's not like all the north-siders are perfect either. Walk down the street in a pair of dubes and you fear for your life. I personally feel much safer on the southside. At least when on the south-side, my friends and I dont have to fear about making eye contact with others. There are nice people everywhere, as are scumbags. So there is no point in blaming everything on southsiders. Maybe they are so stuck-up because they have been harassed and commented on by others who are jealous.
    Like recently when we were pulling out of a carpark in my friends mercedes, people who didn't even know us started passing comments "OH Go on in Daddy's car"
    Like get over it jealousy gets you nowhere guys. Deal with it.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Story, bud! Like, you do know that only Northsiders are allowed dig up long-dead threads? Wot size are those dubes, enanyway? They might fit me sister, like.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

some southsiders are VERY stuck up and why do they they all love rugby?? football takes way more skill

Have you ever played Rugby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Ive dated 2 southsiders int he past (nortsider myself)

The first was from Rathmines area. And while she wasnt too bad, her friends, and sister, were all the msot stereotypical D4 heads ive ever met. I couldnt STAND the ****ers. All the men were complete wimpy plebs, more concerned with styling their hair and expensive clothes, and looking cool than anything else, and the women, self absorbed trend whores. try as i did to get along with them i just couldnt, they were just too different to any of my northside friends. I could tell they all thought they were better than me too, esp the sister who made sarcastic comments about me behind my back (id been told this by the ex gf..thanks, really needed to know that).

The other, was from clondalkin. And this was what REALLY ****ign bugged me. I live in a fairly quiet area of the nrothside, its nice, theres never any trouble, ive never gotten any hassle around the area anyway. And yet her and her friends were all like 'oh yeah, northside scumbag eh?', and would make northsider jokes at me all the time. I was like, WTF, you live in clondalkin, its a ****hole!! They all spoke with complete knacker accents and smoked like chimneys...they were bigger knackers than anyone in my family or friends.

So tbh ive no idea where this superiority complex of the southsiders comes from, in my experience they're just much shallower, fake people than any northsider ive met, and some of the biggest ****holes in dublin are on the southside too.

EDIT
    oh wow, old thread..didnt spot that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

its nothing to do with being from the southside or northside, its a class thing.

If somebody has the social ability to interact with people of all classes it doesnt matter a dam where theyre from...

as stated above, people from Clondalkin and Ballyfermot on the southside would, by and large, generalising here, be not quite as wealthy as someone from Castleknock or (insert wealthy northside area here). So they use the southside/northside thing, if they arent socially-skilled enough to raise themselves in the eyes of others... "castleknock? Northside, hah, scumbag!" - when theyre from a much less well-off socio-economic bracket. Its a tool used to hide their own insecurities...

Same thing with northsiders using it to assert their 'authority' on a situation, especially with males... 'hes only a southside wimp, he couldnt touch me I'd knock him out...' again - insecurities...

All in all either side of the river has its good and bad and the whole northside/southside thing is in general a foolish overly-generalised argument...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

It's not Northsider or Southsider anymore but where you live on each side. I'd say both sides have a pretty equal mix of scumbags / d4's now, you can be a southsider and still live in tallagth, or you can be a northsider and live on Howth hill.

Nowadays it's all down to how much your gaff cost and whether it's Jacinta or Jeremy who lives beside you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I live in Killiney and beside me lives a 250 pound whore called Jacinta....''jaysis''...and all of that, I expect her to be ****ed off to some council estate within the next 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If you read through this thread (and I only managed the first 3 pages as it gets a bit repetative) you'll find a lot of the posts here are people talking about their dislike of southsiders or "D4 heads" and the descrimination (bless) they get from being from the Northside.

Well I'm from the southside, and I can say I've never abused someone for being from the northside, I don't really give a sh*t to be honest, and I think you get people from all walks of life on both sides of the city.

It makes no difference to me, but I have experienced so many times it's not even funny, comments about me being a southsider, including in one job earning the nickname "Ross" and within minutes of meeting someone for the first time and finding out where I'm from there is a comment made (usually a harmless joke but a comment none the less).

It seems to me that Northsiders have a chip on their shoulder or something and I'll be honest with you, a 12 year old girl walking around in an ambercrombie jumper and UGs talking on her mobile in a silly accent is a lot less annoying than a 12 year girl walking around in pygamis stealing from a shop and pushing a pram and saying "here mister, would ya go to the offo for us?" followed by being called a f@ggot for not going (I lived beside sherrif street for a spell).

Seems like southsiders just dont play up to the northsider stereotype as much as northsiders play off the southsider one (and Ross O'Carroll Kelly book is the northsiders bible that has been waited for for generations as a stick to beat southsiders with...thanks Paul).

Just my 2 cents, but it shouldn't make a difference to people. But it does.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

[Jackass] wrote: »
    It seems to me that Northsiders have a chip on their shoulder or something and I'll be honest with you, a 12 year old girl walking around in an ambercrombie jumper and UGs talking on her mobile in a silly accent is a lot less annoying than a 12 year girl walking around in pygamis stealing from a shop and pushing a pram and saying "here mister, would ya go to the offo for us?" followed by being called a f@ggot for not going (I lived beside sherrif street for a spell).

I worked on Talbot Street for a year and the amount of abuse my co-workers used to get from the local scumbags was unreal. And yeah, they were invariably called 'f@ggots' for not giving cigarettes to these ten year old kids. Where the hell are their parents?

Actually, ignore that question... I've just remembered that I also witnessed a mother hurling abuse at her kid and calling her a 'dorty little sluh'. The kid was about 2 years old :confused: Obviously that attitude is filtering down from the top.

But it really isn't a problem that's unique to the Northside, I live at the southern end of D2 and there's loads of those little scrotes around that act the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NiavvaiN

will-i-am wrote: »
    I know everyone is having a bash at the south-siders but it's not like all the north-siders are perfect either. Walk down the street in a pair of dubes and you fear for your life..

That dude is so right, i go to school on the southside even though i live on the northside and went t primary school there as well. when i was in primary i was "happily oblivious" to all the stereotypes and generalisations that were being made around me, but the minute i went to secondry school that all changed. I get abuse hurled at me every morning when im walkin down Mountjoy Square and O'Connel Street, Myself and one of my friends were mugged on O'Connell Bridge by some dude who shoved past us saying "Dubes" really loudly (it was about the fifth time in the last ten minutes), my friend turned around and said "yeah, im wearing dubes. What's wrong with that?"

The guy looked really surprised, but next thing you know he had punched my friend, knocking her to the ground, grabbed her dubes and ran off sayin "Dont fookin Start on me royit?"

She was left shoeless on the middle of O'Connell Bridge and had to buy herself a new pair of shoes in Penneys. I dont think she should have confronted him for what is seen as normal skanger behaviour, but we shouldnt have to put up with abuse like that either. You NEVER hear of d4s or d4 heads behaving like that (except maybe my friend, but in my opinion she had a good enough reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

NiavvaiN wrote: »
    had to buy herself a new pair of shoes in Penneys.

OMG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭shewasoctober

This nortshside vs. southside things seems to be universal. I'm new to Dublin, just moved from the States. Most cities in the States are the same way, though it is more noticeable in the bigger cities. However, the cities I've lived in and grew up in and around (I grew up near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - an hour and half drive from NYC, Baltimore, D.C., and other areas). The only difference is that the sides are reversed, the northside being known for the rich snobs and the southside being the troubled poor area. The other difference, the crime rate was significantly higher on the southside of the city (where I grew up), and it was also the area that had the most projects full of poor people. However, there were good and bad people on both sides.

As for me, I never really bought into it. I still don't. Currently, I'm staying on the southside in Rathmines, but my friends here have lived on both the north and south side of Dublin. The only reason I'm slightly partial to the southside is because this is the area I know best, at least Rathmines to city centre, and that is just because this where I have been staying. I've travelled to the northside, and still do from time to time to shop. I get tired of Grafton Street. Also, I'll be working on the northside, IFSC. Currently, as I'm apartment hunting, I'm more focused on areas and the actual place as opposed to north vs. south. I just want an easy commute to work, to live in an area that isn't too dodgy, live in an apt/house that is comfortable and be able to visit friends easily.

Bottom line, while your surrounding will help to shape you, it shouldn't define you. People from all walks of life can become whoever they want to be. It's more about family support and having some guidance and focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

East Side all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

BrightEyes wrote: »
    East Side all the way!

That's a pretty good way of thinking of North V South now, it's now East V West, all up the East coast you have many wealthy areas other than Kilbarrack / Raheny. While in the west you have Tallaght, Blanch etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I live in an area considered wealthy in the North County - I use to live near Fairview. I will never be ashamed of where I use to live - I dont give a f**k what some Southside pompous pretentious twat has to say tbh. They are not all like that of course.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

RMD wrote: »
    That's a pretty good way of thinking of North V South now, it's now East V West, all up the East coast you have many wealthy areas other than Kilbarrack / Raheny. While in the west you have Tallaght, Blanch etc.

Raheny is a nice area.But I agree with the east west thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

lightening wrote: »
    OMG!

I'm from Kildare but have a neutral accent, thus I get to act snooty to Northsiders and Southsiders. At the end of the day people are individuals, if you're a prick you're a prick, doesn't really matter where you're from. And the materialism thing has spread far past the Southside; I would say every stereotype has its own kind of materialism, it really comes down to a battle of the brands, with Lacoste, Le Coq Sportif, Fred Perry Nike etc. in the "Knacker" corner and Ralph Lauren, Abercrombie, Hilfiger, Hollister etc. in the "poshie/D4" corner. Personally, I prefer "Neutral" brands like Topman or Jack Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

hate to break it to you, but Jack Jones is a complete knacker brand. You can probably get away with it because you're a Culchie.

Anyway, the Northside has Finglas, Ballymun and Cabra; the Eastside has Kilbarrack, Baldoyle, Shankhill and Ringsend; the Southside has Crumlin, Inchicore and Firhouse; the Westside has Tallaght, Blanchardstown and Clondalkin.

No matter what part of Dublin you live in, there are working-class (for lack of a better term) areas in it.
    Hell, even Dublin 4 has Ringsend in it.

Don't worry though, you lose these attitudes when you go to buy a house and realise that Southsiders and Northsiders end up living in the same tiny apartment block halfway to Mullingar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭nannou4

I'm from Kildare but have a neutral accent, thus I get to act snooty to Northsiders and Southsiders. At the end of the day people are individuals, if you're a prick you're a prick, doesn't really matter where you're from. And the materialism thing has spread far past the Southside; I would say every stereotype has its own kind of materialism, it really comes down to a battle of the brands, with Lacoste, Le Coq Sportif, Fred Perry Nike etc. in the "Knacker" corner and Ralph Lauren, Abercrombie, Hilfiger, Hollister etc. in the "poshie/D4" corner. Personally, I prefer "Neutral" brands like Topman or Jack Jones.

You can't act snooty to either Southsiders or Northsiders , Your from Kildare

only messing ,

but yeah i agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Closed - in line with the revised Charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement