Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€10,000 guaranteed,Galway.

Options
  • 20-04-2005 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Westwood hotel tonight will host €10k guaranteed tournament.
    Registration is 19.30. Buy-in is €75 with one buy back @ €50.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Hi,

Do the Galway and Cork weekly tournaments offer tickets into the €60,000 Connacht €400 tournament in June or is it pay in only?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I suppose I'l pop down and give generously to the "Dangermouse" Derek fund.

How'd you get on in Claregalway on Monday night Fintan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

What time would you have to be in the westwood for the STT? how many go on during the night? do you have a set amount or does it depend on numbers??

If I may step in here.

STTs start whenever there are 9/10 people ready to play one. They are either €50 + €5reg or €100 + €10 Reg. I would say there are 3 of each, starting about 9.00pm for the first and the last at about 11.30pm. They are dealt by a proper dealer.

They are made of generally of people who have been knocked out of the tourney, and so you always get one or two who are on tilt. Plus one or two more who have had a jar or two. Very good natured stuff, with plenty of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pokerevents

If we have tickets printed in time winners of galway and cork weeklys will recieve ticket to the connacht challenge cup in June, starting from this week.

Jaden, whats happening. Came back from the break with about 8k and the f-cking blinds were up to 500 1000 from 300-600, is that ridiculus or what, anyway tried to out play the small blind on my big, guy has monster stack and calls me down with bottom pair on the board. Straight over to the cash game, it was like something from the wild west, with hotel management asking people to hide their money. 8 players hit a poker of aces in lebonese
    3 callers, one with house, one with str8 and a muppet with a set.€350 profit.
    See you tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

10K guaranteed? or 10K guaranteed and capped?? Sorry to be the one to ask but its important to me before I travel to know.

DeV.

Hi Tom,
    10K guaranteed and capped. 90-110 people will show up. Half will rebuy/topup.

If less than 88 people show up, it's worth the rebuy.
    If less than 145 people show up, it's worth playing.

By "worth" playing, I mean it gives the same EV as a STT with 10% registration fee. This is based on the way I look at it, which may be arseways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Jaden wrote:
    Hi Tom,
    10K guaranteed and capped. 90-110 people will show up. Half will rebuy/topup. If you don't rebuy, it's obvious +EV.

If that number showed up, then it would actually be very good value, depending on how many places were paid out and how top heavy the payouts are. Once you go over about 120 then you're gradually getting worse and worse EV for your rebuy.

How I work out value for money. (This may be completely off, I'm open to suggestions).

A typical STT offers a "playability Index" (TM) rating of .91. I arrive at this figure by:

Registration is 10%. 10 players. Prize pool is total collected from stakes.

So a €50+5 STT is a €55 stake for a total prize pool of €500.
    Prize pool relative to stake is 500/55 = 9.1
    Assuming equal probability, chances of winning: 10:1 (0.1)
    Multiply both these figures to get playability Index of 0.91.

To arrive at the same index for the 10K in the Westwood, you can have 145 players.

If you count a rebuy as another player, then just under 100 players with a 50% rebuy rate gives it an index of 0.91.

If you increase your stake to €125 (ie rebuy) then the figure would be 88 players.

The playability index takes no note of how many places paid out, but assumes that all tourneys have an equal payout structure. I'm surte someone could expand on my model to take account of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Jaden wrote:

The playability index takes no note of how many places paid out, but assumes that all tourneys have an equal payout structure. I'm surte someone could expand on my model to take account of this.

Very interesting, allthough the payout structure shouldnt affect the playability or EV of an event, just its varience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Jaden wrote:
    How I work out value for money. (This may be completely off, I'm open to suggestions).
    A typical STT offers a "playability Index" (TM) rating of .91. I arrive at this figure by:
    Registration is 10%. 10 players. Prize pool is total collected from stakes.
    So a €50+5 STT is a €55 stake for a total prize pool of €500.
    Prize pool relative to stake is 500/55 = 9.1
    Assuming equal probability, chances of winning: 10:1 (0.1)
    Multiply both these figures to get playability Index of 0.91.
    To arrive at the same index for the 10K in the Westwood, you can have 145 players.
    If you count a rebuy as another player, then just under 100 players with a 50% rebuy rate gives it an index of 0.91.
    If you increase your stake to €125 (ie rebuy) then the figure would be 88 players.

There are a lot of reasons why SnGs offer better EV. The main one being the time spent playing. You can play a $50 Sng for about an hour and half and win $250, but for the same buy in, in an MTT you could be spending 5 or more hours to beat a larger field of players to make the same money. Yes you can win big but even as a very good play you might not finish ITM for 10-15 tourneys and even then you might need to finsih top 3/4 just to break even.

In SnGs your chances of finish ITM in are 3 in 10 but in a MTT its usually 10% or sometimes less but, as a winning player you defniitely don't look at nGs as every player having a 10% chance to win because weak players don't know how to adapt to a short handed game, which enables you to play a patient game until people drop out before adopting a more aggressive strategy. As an above average player you should expect to have a ROI of above 20%. You'd have to do very well to get that kind of return long term from MTTs, not to mention your hourly rate.

Advertisement