Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

guitar lessons

• 20-04-2005 10:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Im half thinking of getting a few lessons (on an electric) and was wondering if anyone can recommend anywhere ? (near terenure or ucd would be nice)
    I was thinking the dublin school of music or waltons schoool of music, just because I want to make sure I get a decent teacher and not some ejit looking for a bit of extra cash.
    Anyone got any recommendations ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭disgruntled

I'd recommend Tom Brunkard, he really knows his stuff. I've been getting lessons off him for the last year and its really helped my playing a lot. Anyway he's based in Kilmainham and heres his site www.thomasbrunkard.com , there more info on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Dan Sheeran school of guitar are pretty good and really friendly, in my experience. You can get lessons in groups of ten for 200E, and they'll rearrange lessons if you give notice you can't get there.

or if you'd prefer one2one lessons i know a couple of guys who do it, they come to you too so it's not much hassle. terenure is perfect for them. Both are in college.

Unless you prefer a class situation? It's up to you, some prefer one to one tuition, others like struggling through things with others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

how do I find out more about this Dan Sheeran guy - website or anything ?

Rory Scarce Dropout: Im not too pushed on one2one or groups -what i dont want is some guy who just fancies a bit of extra cash but isnt a teacher, if you know what i mean. If i wanted some random bloke to teach me, id just get my bro - what i want is someone who knows what hes at and is not going to teach me his own bad habits.

well then i'd reccommend lessons in a group to start out and with more confidence then try one on one. Not many people have patience enough to teach absolute beginners cause to be honest it's slow work, but if you're dedicated enough that wont matter.

• Advertisement

well i know its slow work - im living through it :)
    I guess Im looking for something to keep me motivated while i learn - Im not really getting too far on my own, or it doesnt seem like it anyway. Probably a class would be better for that, maybe ?

yep, they'll help you struggle through it, and if the teacher's wise they'll have you work on something as a whole class, and you'll learn it well so as not to let the others down.

Classes have benefits and pitfalls, as does one2one teaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The Dublin School of Music are great. I go there and they'll do pretty much whatever you want them to do, but you really have to be dedicated and try your best to get everything out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Dan sheeran school are in the phone book as far as I know. Most of the teachers are college students, friendly guys. I didn't mean they were group classes, they are 10 lessons for 200E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 poisonwasthecur

theres this guy called brian dont remeber his number but go into musicmaker and you will see his number!! hes amazing!!

• Advertisement

Dan sheeran school
    This the guy you mean ?
    Brendan Sheeran School of Guitar:8 Laurkur House, Deansgrange Road, Deansgrange, Co. Dublin.

poisonwasthecur: there is no brian guy on musicmaker

anyone ever heard of "Conor McGouran School of Guitar" ?

Conor MCGouran is one of the best guitarists i have ever seen, he probably doesn't have his own "school of guitar" but he is absolutely amazng, only about 22.

his name is on musicmaker site as having a school of music (although maybe there are two Conor MCGourans in dublin)

http://www.musicianinc.ie/stock_pages/guitar_teachers.htm

well its defnitely him, wouldn't surprise me if most of those guys just put "school of guitar/music" there for ****s and giggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭disgruntled

theres this guy called brian dont remeber his number but go into musicmaker and you will see his number!! hes amazing!!

Brian Horgan???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

The Dublin School of Music are great. I go there and they'll do pretty much whatever you want them to do, but you really have to be dedicated and try your best to get everything out of it.
    the place in rathgar...i thought that was awful, he just gave you something to play and you spent the hole class working it out yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There's more than one teacher there, some are better than others. The guy I have is good.

jeysus, this whole area of lessons seems very hit and miss. If you're lucky you get a good teacher otherwise waste of money! I thought there would at least be some sort of general standard expically in places like dublin school of music and waltons, etc

Advertisement