Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

images being squished by IE

Options
  • 20-04-2005 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've never come across this before and maybe someone here can help me out by explaining what is causing the problem. Basically some images on my site are not displaying as they should, IE attempts to render them but fails miserably and ff just ignores them. The only problem I can see is that the files might be corrupted during the uploading. However I have the same site hosted on my college webspace with the same image files and they display fine!! Both are apache servers. Heres the link http://tom.eustace.net. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

tammy wrote:
    Hi all,
    I've never come across this before and maybe someone here can help me out by explaining what is causing the problem. Basically some images on my site are not displaying as they should, IE attempts to render them but fails miserably and ff just ignores them. The only problem I can see is that the files might be corrupted during the uploading. However I have the same site hosted on my college webspace with the same image files and they display fine!! Both are apache servers. Heres the link http://tom.eustace.net. :confused:

You refering to the photo thumbnails? "The image 'http://tom.eustace.net/templates/images/trees_small.gif' cannot be displayed, because it contains errors." Sounds like they are corrupted to me. Try uploading them again.

Also why does you site display a w3c XHTML compliance logo when its not compliant?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

hostyle wrote:
    You refering to the photo thumbnails? "The image 'http://tom.eustace.net/templates/images/trees_small.gif' cannot be displayed, because it contains errors." Sounds like they are corrupted to me. Try uploading them again.

What hostyle said - I checked with mozilla and got the same problem. The images probably weren't uploaded properly. Also, you might have posted the link to the actual page instead of us having to look for the thumbnails.
    hostyle wrote:
    Also why does you site display a w3c XHTML compliance logo when its not compliant?

Yes - please fix your HTML, or remove the link

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

I had this problem before and it turned out to be a Ftp software prob. What are you using to upload?

Try and upload them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

I guess I'll just upload new images.
    It irritates me also when people put standards links on their sites when they aren't appropriate. I posted the link for advice, I am just uploading the content and need to address minor details which I will do in time. If it offends the couple of people who visit in this time my humble apologies. For peace of mind you can validate http://www.netsoc.tcd.ie/~zeek if you wish.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tammy wrote:
    I guess I'll just upload new images.
    It irritates me also when people put standards links on their sites when they aren't appropriate. I posted the link for advice, I am just uploading the content and need to address minor details which I will do in time. If it offends the couple of people who visit in this time my humble apologies. For peace of mind you can validate http://www.netsoc.tcd.ie/~zeek if you wish.
    Im not sure I understand this - are you getting snotty because someone questioned the fact that you claim to have vald code when you don't?
    If you post to a webmaster forum asking them to visit your site then expect them to look at it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tammy

uploaded the images again and it worked, thanks I'd never come across that before. I rectified the other problem also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Caixa

Make sure that if you're ftping that you use ASCII mode for text files, and BINARY mode for pictures. If your FTP program has an auto-detect function, it should be able to automatically do it for you. If you're doing it at the command line, use 'type' to view which mode you're in, and 'type binary' or 'type ascii' to change modes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Standards Nazis Yawnorama.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

dahamsta wrote:

Hardly - I doubt any of us would have said anything about compliant code if the page had not had the w3 compliant logo on it.

dahamsta wrote:

Exactly. Sure whats the point in standards anyway? Eh? Its not like they're helpful or anything is it? Or make anyones life easier? Or cure venereal disease?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's obvious that the site was still under development, and it validates now. I don't have a problem with people pointing it out, but the standard arrogance that goes with it is just pathetic snobbery. Piss off down to the RCYC where ye belong, where ye can hold your noses up above the commoners like the arseholes that ye are. Mind you don't have someone's eye out with that overbite.

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    It's obvious that the site was still under development, and it validates now. I don't have a problem with people pointing it out, but the standard arrogance that goes with it is just pathetic snobbery. Piss off down to the RCYC where ye belong, where ye can hold your noses up above the commoners like the arseholes that ye are. Mind you don't have someone's eye out with that overbite.

adam

Calling people names makes you feel special? Bully for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

kbannon wrote:
    Im not sure I understand this - are you getting snotty because someone questioned the fact that you claim to have vald code when you don't?
    If you post to a webmaster forum asking them to visit your site then expect them to look at it!

I think Tammy is saying that her original post was a link to her site that was still in dev. And that she was using the w3c link as a quick link to check her site.

lets not get too upset about the whole thing.

Advertisement