Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS SQL Server : Programatically add DB login

Options
  • 20-04-2005 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

OK - I have a database with a table [User permissions] which controls what the user of the print monitoring application is allowed to do (i.e. see only own documewnts, or all etc.)

When a user submits a print job, if they have not been added to this table then they are added with the minimum permissions. I would like this step to also set up their database log in so have set a trigger thus:-
    /* ---------------------------------------------
     * Add an NT login to this database from the 
     * NT Domain.
     */
    CREATE TRIGGER User_Permissions_Insert
      ON dbo.[User Permissions]
     FOR INSERT
    AS

DECLARE @DOMAIN VARCHAR(200),
    	        @FULL_USERNAME VARCHAR(255)

SELECT @DOMAIN = ISNULL([Parameter Value],'')
    	  FROM dbo.[PUMA Parameters]
    	 WHERE [Parameter Name] = 'NT Domain'

IF @DOMAIN = ''
    	   SELECT @FULL_USERNAME = [User Name]
                 FROM inserted
    	ELSE
    	   SELECT @FULL_USERNAME = LTRIM(@domain) + '\' + Ltrim([User Name])
                 FROM inserted

-- Add the NT login to the database logins list
            EXECUTE sp_grantlogin @FULL_USERNAME

-- And grant them access to the current database
            EXECUTE sp_grantdbaccess @FULL_USERNAME

RETURN 

However when I cause the trigger to fire I get the error message:-
    The procedure 'sp_grantlogin' cannot be executed within a transaction.

Any ideas how I would go about doing this, or is a trigger the wrong solution for this case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Merrion wrote:
    However when I cause the trigger to fire I get the error message:-
    The procedure 'sp_grantlogin' cannot be executed within a transaction.

Any ideas how I would go about doing this, or is a trigger the wrong solution for this case?

I would hazard a guess that a trigger is the wrong solution.

Each individual SQL statement is considered as a transaction in its own right. The trigger fires inside that transaction, which is what gives a trigger the ability to roll back the data-modification it is responding to should it wish to.

You probably want to remove all "direct" access to the table, and create stored procedures to do your inserts (etc.), and then code the logic for the user-addition into the stored procedure.

Incidentally, I'm not sure of how you expect this to work. If the user doesn't already exist as a login, then obviously they are not performing the insert into this table themselves (or are doing so via some shared login). However, if this is the case...why does the user need an individual login created for themselves anyway?

Alternate suggestion: consider looking at using NT Group logins. in MSSQL2000 (and 7? Can't remember) you can grant permission to an entire NT Group rather than user-by-user. Do this to whichever group you use to control "access to the printer" permissions.....and your login problem is solved automagically.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Alternate suggestion: consider looking at using NT Group logins. in MSSQL2000 (and 7? Can't remember) you can grant permission to an entire NT Group rather than user-by-user. Do this to whichever group you use to control "access to the printer" permissions.....and your login problem is solved automagically.

Yup - I think that is the way to go. To explain how I find myself in this bizarre situation: a system service on the print server (with its own log in) is adding data to a database, including the user name of the user that has submitted a print. The user needs to be able to log in from their machine and see what they have printed so needs a log in in that database.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Merrion wrote:
    The user needs to be able to log in from their machine and see what they have printed so needs a log in in that database.

Go with NT Groups, or (as an alternative) with a single SQL-Authentication-based login which has its permissions fully locked down so that it can't possibly do anything other than read the info you want it to.

There's pros and cons to both approaches. If it was me, and I had time, I'd implement both with a configuration option to swap between them.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

How do the users connect to the database? Is it done via a webserver or other interface system? Is there an installed client on the user machine that connects directly to the database via odbc?

Nearly all applications I have worked on, that use SQL Server as a component, only use system logins rather than one login per user. The identity of the end user is passed to the database by the requesting system and the database uses internal, custom designed permission tables to determine which actions and which data are authorized for the user in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

It's a client application (in VB.NET) connecting via OLEDB.
    Security has to be on a per-NT-user basis as most users are only allowed to see the documents that they have printed...and this app does not have a seperate log in screen (nor would I want that).

• Advertisement
Advertisement