Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do Audi's age well?

Options
  • 20-04-2005 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

First post in here :)

Basically, I'm thinking about buying a 99 Audi A4 1.9 TDi. 90K miles on the clock. It's for use as a family car and for commuting. I cover around 10-12K miles per year, most of it on the motorway at 80km/h or more.

I want it to last a few years, but I've noticed that there aren't too many Audi's for sale pre-99. Is this because there wasn't demand for them at the time, because people are keeping them, or because they fall apart?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

Not 100% sure on this but I do see a lot of them on the road so I think they hold up well. Also the ones I come across for sale generally do keep their price well. The A4's more so than the A6.

Best way to find out is to look up the likes of cbg.ie and read a few drivers reviews on them. If you find a couple of complaints on the '99 A4 then you know where you stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Khannie wrote:
    First post in here :)

Basically, I'm thinking about buying a 99 Audi A4 1.9 TDi. 90K miles on the clock. It's for use as a family car and for commuting. I cover around 10-12K miles per year, most of it on the motorway at 80km/h or more.

I want it to last a few years, but I've noticed that there aren't too many Audi's for sale pre-99. Is this because there wasn't demand for them at the time, because people are keeping them, or because they fall apart?

I have a 00 Tdi and I have to say it's a superb car. Imo the reason you don't see too many for sale is because thewre is a high demand for them.

On another note do you mind if I ask how much your paying for the `99? I'm selling mine and I'm wondering am I pricing it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The A4 is well built and reliable. The TDI engine should last very well. Which flavour are you getting, the 90bhp or the 110bhp? The latter is a good bit quicker off the mark. Both should average nearly 50mpg with a light foot. If the power is still not enough, this engine is very suitable for some tuning / chipping :)

If you're considering buying the one with 90k miles on it, you'd best keep it for a good few years to have reasonable depreciation. Many people here are afraid of touching cars over 100k miles, so this reflects resale value

Have someone check the car over before you buy if you buy privately. If buying from a dealer, get a (short) warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks IvanE. Never noticed that part of cbg before. Very useful.

DaveG: They're all around the 7.5-8.5K mark in buy and sell. I might be interested in your 00 reg'd one :) Are you selling it now?

Unkel: Wasn't aware of the variation in BHP. Thanks for the tip. On the mileage front: I expect to run the car into the ground :) (though I will look after it very well while doing so). I've been told that the diesel engines get much more mileage because of their robust engine build (v's petrol).

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote:
    DaveG: They're all around the 7.5-8.5K mark in buy and sell. I might be interested in your 00 reg'd one :) Are you selling it now?

Khannie I sure am selling now. Pics can be found at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=215963&highlight=audi

The price has been revised. Was looking for E14K now looking for E12.5K

Getting 50mpg around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Also compare prices on http://www.carzone.ie with the one you are looking at.

For a review of the car check out http://honestjohn.co.uk

The 95 - 01 A4 is based on the VW Passat and uses most of the running gear and engines.

The Tdi came in two version, a 90bhp and a 110bhp. The 110bhp model was distinguished by the red I in the TDI badge on the boot. The only real downside of the A4 was the rear leg room and boot which are quite restrictive.

If this is an issue for you then I suggest you look at the VW Passat as an alternative which has a roomier interior and boot to match.

Lovely looking car DaveG....outside my price range though. I can get the 99 one for 8k. For me (only me) that represents better value.

Edit: Baz: The carzone prices tend to be pretty steep because they're nearly always dealer prices. I reckon I'll be going the buy and sell route and getting a mechanic to check the car out for me.

Khannie wrote:
    Lovely looking car DaveG....outside my price range though. I can get the 99 one for 8k. For me (only me) that represents better value.

Edit: Baz: The carzone prices tend to be pretty steep because they're nearly always dealer prices. I reckon I'll be going the buy and sell route and getting a mechanic to check the car out for me.

No worries Khannie. Best of luck although you won't need it with an Audi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Bro has a 98 A4 90Bhp./......nice car.......gets good milage out of them......over 100K on a diesel like the A4 is nothing.......liked his A4 so much when out and got myself the 00 Passat which is similiar....90Bhp as well....going to mod soon!! love the car and she loves the milage......god be the days when I spent half the time in a garage filling the 1.6 Petrol

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote:
    I expect to run the car into the ground :)

In that case you can't go wrong provided you put a bit of money aside for maintenance. Diesel engines have an easier life than petrol engines and the TDI should still be going by the time the rest of the car is dead ;)

Let us know once you've got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

ive recently bought a 95 audi a4 1.8 and if they are regulary serviced they will last forever.. Mine has about 136k on the clock and it if you replace what needs to be replaced as per the manual you will get on just fine...

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

MAF (Mas Air Flow) Sensors are a weak point on TDi's and can result in a serious deterioration in performance. The OEM bosch replacements can be expensive but afaik reconditioned units are becoming more common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Audi have a very good reputation but the fact is you will have to spend alot of money each year on services. I have a 99 Audi A3 and it really is a great car but once it gets past the 3 year mark you'll need to start spending money to keep it good. The gear box is dodgy, this is a known flaw with the audi and golf. I was one of the unfortunate ones and had to get mine replaced after 30K miles! That cost me 1600 for a reconditioned one. Then there's the throttle body, this gets dirty and clogged and makes your engine rev up and down like a looney and has a very detrimental effect on the cars performance. This will need to be cleaned every service, i know some people that get it cleaned twice a year at over €100 a pop. A cheap service is €330, but usually you're looking at €500 - €600 per year as parts are very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Gegerty wrote:
    Audi have a very good reputation but the fact is you will have to spend alot of money each year on services. I have a 99 Audi A3 and it really is a great car but once it gets past the 3 year mark you'll need to start spending money to keep it good. The gear box is dodgy, this is a known flaw with the audi and golf. I was one of the unfortunate ones and had to get mine replaced after 30K miles! That cost me 1600 for a reconditioned one. Then there's the throttle body, this gets dirty and clogged and makes your engine rev up and down like a looney and has a very detrimental effect on the cars performance. This will need to be cleaned every service, i know some people that get it cleaned twice a year at over €100 a pop. A cheap service is €330, but usually you're looking at €500 - €600 per year as parts are very expensive.

Diesels don't have a throttle so they don't need cleaning. Are all of the "VW/Audis are built like tanks" brigade reading the bit about the gearbox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Homer J Simpson

Gegerty wrote:

My 99 reg Golf( petrol) has this problem with the engine revving up and down....at times it just cuts out when reversing. Is this definitely a common problem with Golfs and is it the throttle body for sure Gegerty??? Apologies to original poster for not sticking to the original topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

My 99 reg Golf( petrol) has this problem with the engine revving up and down....at times it just cuts out when reversing. Is this definitely a common problem with Golfs and is it the throttle body for sure Gegerty??? Apologies to original poster for not sticking to the original topic.

Definitely common to Golfs, there has been a few threads here about it - I had exactly the same problem and had to get it sorted twice in one year. Someone explained it well to me, but I have forgotten exactly what they said. Something to do with the throttle wire / cable (?) getting dirty so it does not move smoothly, hence the revving problems. Or something like that.
    Sorry for going OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

That model of A4 is a lot better built than the current versions. My colleague here has had 1 Passat and 4 Audi A4's, currently has a 02 130BHP Tdi which is a ball of sh1t compared to the former versions. Bits fall of it every week including 2 gloveboxes and servicing is over a grand a year !

Anyway once it has a decent service record and you cahnge the oil regularly you shouldn't have any trouble.....just bring it to a real mechanic instead of a main stealer !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

The Audi A4 - oh yes I remember them...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....ZZ. what was the question again - ah yes The audi thing - does it last long an all that - Well IM0 it i ......ZZZZZZZZZZ

* falls fast asleep * :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 powerslidesrus

MercMad wrote:
    That model of A4 is a lot better built than the current versions. My colleague here has had 1 Passat and 4 Audi A4's, currently has a 02 130BHP Tdi which is a ball of sh1t compared to the former versions. Bits fall of it every week including 2 gloveboxes and servicing is over a grand a year !

I have a 01 A4 130bhp TDI and its as reliable as you can get. Dunno what your colleague is doing to his but he must be hammering the car. Mines not had a thing go wrong in 75,000. The older models are much the same as far as a few friends have told me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

My old Audi 80 gave me no real grief for over 10 years.
    And I have yet to use a smoother transmission.

And I drove it hard. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

MercMad wrote:
    servicing is over a grand a year !

thats weird i checked belgard motors pricelist for servicing a mercedes e240, the first service is 300 euro and 2nd 20000 mile service is 500 euro.audi should b cheaper. u do know u can request just basic servicing with no extras, and get the extras done form people like kwikfit etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

I am currently driving a 93 Audi 80 TDi 1.9 with 210,000 mls on the clock. Very reliable and comfortable to drive, can't fault it. I will be keeping as long as it keeps passing the NCT. Would definitely get another Audi if I have to replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Sorry for the delayed reply. It's definitely the throttle body. I've never let it get so bad that the car cuts out but that is what happens if you just leave it and it gets clogged so much that the computer can't compensate. Also its important to make sure the garage resets the internal computer after putting the throttle body back in so that it can recalibrate for the new clean air flow.

Got my new A4 yesterday. :D
    '98 reg with 83K on the clock. 1.9 tdi. 90BHP. Lovely car to drive.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Gegerty wrote:
    Sorry for the delayed reply. It's definitely the throttle body. I've never let it get so bad that the car cuts out but that is what happens if you just leave it and it gets clogged so much that the computer can't compensate. Also its important to make sure the garage resets the internal computer after putting the throttle body back in so that it can recalibrate for the new clean air flow.

yes this is a common problem on golfs unfortunately. the reason is the dirty blow by waste gases inside the crankcase vent directly into the throttle body with no oil seperator or filter. this results in oil over the twiddly bits. to fix it is easy and oesnt need any real work or need to remove the throttle body or reset anything. just go to halfords and buy 'wynns carb and fuel injector cleaner' in a can, take off the engine cover with an allen key(4 screws) then remove the 6 scres on the airbox cover, remove the air filter and buy a new one. now u will see the throttle butterfly and all the oil around it. start the c ar and have someone inside to rev it. take the aerosol can and spray it into the running engine while someone revs the car to keep it going. spray 3/4 of the can in, thenturn off the motor. now get someone to press the accelerator, u will see the throttle open, spray in a fair bit of the remainder of the can, now leave it for 5 minutes, then start the engine revving it, and spray the a bit of the can in.

now there is a tube in the airbox lid. this is the blow by tube and will be full of crud and oil, take the can and spray the stuff in to dissolve it and then wash it out under a running tap outside as the oil will go everywhere. let it dry and reassemble with a new air filter. the problem will unfortunately reoccur within 20000 miles due to the design and increasing gases as the engine wears. i think one can partially solve it if u buy a petrol fuel filter for a carb 91 peugeot 405 this has an opening at both ends and a paper filter in the middle in a see thru plastic body so u know when to replace it. they are about 5 euro. attach this to the blow by pipe and the other end to the air box using some jubillee clips.

Khannie wrote:
    Got my new A4 yesterday. :D

Best of luck with your new motor :)

Advertisement