Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should batman, wonder woman and superman be out of DCU contuinity?

Options
  • 20-04-2005 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

think about it...
    if they had there own seperate contuinity where they interacted with each other and not other mebers of the DCU it would be a lot easier to keep there stories straight and meaningful without retvamps/retcons

while a year may pass in a published comic in the dcu...
    a superman or batman comic could be a few days spanning years...

you could have batman,diana and supes in the same contuinity and have them interact with each other as well as having guest stars from any time period because of the books own contuinities...

also if the big books need a batman and and a superman, theres always nightwing, jason todd, or tim drake to be left behind...
    superboy could become supes and/or KAL-L could escape from his dimension and become superman... supes recent aging would facilitate the fact of a switch with Kal-L.. and might even somehow explain powergirl,

it would be an interesting dynamic to see superMAN/boy and superman KAL-L working togther.. or even better have superboy thrown into superman (current) continuinty and have Kal-L bring the earth prime superboy with him.
    current supes would have to take supergirl with him tho to the new contiunity...

and as for WW just resurect hippolyata...

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Well, the chief motivation behind any changes to an ongoing character and their world should be "does it allow more interesting stories to be told?". And, frankly, stories outside of the main continuity will have more creative freedom in certain respects (less need for an editor to ensure continuity across several books) but lose the interaction between people who have a shared history.

Now, I'm not a big fan or follower of the superhero/pervsuit books so maybe my perspective on this is askew compared to the average fan. But if you take the big-name heroes out of the mainstream continuity and give them their own world to play in, all it really does is give you ample scope to have big slugfests without worrying about whether they make any sense from the perspective of other books. You're not going to get revolutionary character changes because editors tend to resist those anyway.

From a slightly different angle, it can be argued that hardcore fans enjoy the interplay between the many different books that comprise the DCU and that therefore removing major characters from it would have a detrimental effect on them. It could be argued that having their disappearance be a part of the DCU would overcome this, but look at the Heroes Reborn fiasco - the supposed "rebirth" and radical reinterpretation of the characters was later aborted with some rubbish excuse about Onslaught, and frankly that kind of cheap gimmicky storytelling shouldn't be relied on.

Given the way backstory and the associated limitations already pile up for characters who are part of an ongoing continuity, I think it'll just make it even more difficult to do anything even vaguely interesting with these characters to have them in their own world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The All Star line will have Batman, Superman (and maybe Wonder Woman down the line) in there own continutys so to speak.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, but the All Star line is supposed to be more like the more popular stories from those characters done again, isn't it? Like those Marvel Age books? They're more a way to try and lure non-fans into the seedy world of pervsuit books, I suspect ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Drastic

My feeling is that if you can't write in continuity, you have absolutely no business writing a mothly title.

Save all the continuity free malarkey to Mini Series and the rest. In fact there is a MASSIVE push at DC for all the major books to have much better continuity then they do now. Essentially all the major DC books are being written by 3 people, Geoff Johns, Judd Winnick and Greg Rucka for this very purpose. The big Event last year, Identity crisis was the start of this and it continues in a big way starting this month with the first of Infinite Crisis Mini's, the OMAC Project.

Also, the idea of the All Star line isn't to re tell stories, its to tell GREAT stories. Morrison's Superman will, i swear to God, be like nothing else you have ever seen. And although the first issue of All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder (I love that title) may start with the introduction of Dick Grayson as Robin, but it's just a chance to tell great stories.

If you genuinely think that the All-star "continuity-free" comics aren't going to borrow in some way from the existing past continuities (especially given the way they'll be targeted at non-regular readers), you're being a bit naive to say the least.

That said...I hope the books are good. I have no intention of reading them anyway, since I'm generally bored senseless by hero books, but if other people want to read them then at least they should be offered decently written ones.

I certainly agree that an ongoing series should have a continuity, and it should be as logical and consistent as possible. There's no point otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I have never been be able to stay with the contuinity of the DCU. I only buy the odd collection or special series so I guess it's my own fault. Part of the love of comics is definitly the geek knowledge element but also what is making it difficult to get people to buy them.

Advertisement