Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever thought some music act would never make it?

Options
  • 20-04-2005 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

ok - I was gonna put this into a music board, but it could really go into all of them - and I think its kinda after hours as its something brought up in many discussions.

Have you ever seen a musical act in their early stages and gone "they're rubbish... they've no hope".

It was November 2003 for me... was watching Jools Holland on BBC2 when a Scottish band took the stage, all wearing fake mustaches, and naming themselves after a duke that was assisinated and caused WW1.
    I thought they were rubbish and just weird, and no one would ever buy such crap.... little did I know how big Franz Ferdinand would be!! :eek:
    Saw Maroon 5 early on in their career, and I hated them. I still dont like their music, but I didnt think they'd hit big time!

Anyone else made some poor predictions? :D

I supposed I could broaden this and ask have you made any poor predictions in general? Perhaps about some item of technology? Did you think the internet would never catch on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i hear the killers way back before june 2004, always thought they'd just be one of them bands that some people like and are not mainstream.

god how i was wrong, everyone loves the killers now, i dislike them now as i was at a concert on saturday and i swear to god i hear the album about 4 times while waiting for good music to come on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Sure have you never heard U2 when they started out? They were painfully bad then. I wouldn't of given them the time of day, and now look at them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

? They were painfully bad then?
    agrred but they arent much better now - just like boyzone & westlife a lot of it is down to the manager & some luck

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Kingsize wrote:
    agrred but they arent much better now - just like boyzone & westlife a lot of it is down to the manager & some luck
    ha ha ... Boyzone!
    I'm not sure anyone would have predicted success for them after *that* first appearance on the Late Late show.
    Just shows what a genius Louis Walsh is.....
    (hey, I hate him too, but you gotta admire what he managed to do to make himself millions!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Tobe honest Franz Ferdinand are pretty much one hit wonders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Kingsize wrote:

*waits for the others to join the bandwagon*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Seen Travis at King Tuts in Glasgow in about 96/7 they were third on the bill and I don't think many people moved from the bar to go and see them, they sounded rotten from where we were standing anyway but we were there to see the headline act, These Animal Men If I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Franz Ferdinand have hardly made it huge. One moderately well recieved debut and one single that goes down well at discos. I suppose these days that puts you up at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Moved from AH

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

jomanji wrote:
    Sure have you never heard U2 when they started out? They were painfully bad then. I wouldn't of given them the time of day, and now look at them!

My uncle used to share a rehearsal space with U2 back before they were famous. There used to be a load of old, broken U2 gear and my uncle chucked it all. I think a year or two later he regretted it. One of his friends had Bono's original lyrics and notes and Paul McGuinness bought them off him for an undisclosed sum.

Also sticking with U2, I saw a **** indie band support them at Slane. Woeful, boring, tedious and depressingly run of the mill. They still are (Coldplay).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

saw the thrills supporting turn (think they were third on the bill) and thought they were alright. didnt think they'd become the worthless turd-polishers they are now....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

For a start Id hardly say that Franz Ferdinand and Maroon 5 would qaulify as having made it.

And secondly a band can be completely transformed with the aid of a good studio, equipment, engineer, PR and so on. I mean half of the time the reason an unsigned/independant band sounds bad is because of their gear and by that I mean they cant affod the best and they gotta work with what they've got (the rest is just bad playing/not enough rehearsing IMHO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I saw Nirvana support Sonic Youth in 1989 in the Top hat in Dun Laoghaire. Thought they were ok-ish. Never thought they'd become mega-global rock monsters. Then again I was just interested in seeing SY.

I also saw Chumbawumba support Fugazi in about 1990, and I never thought those useless tossers would have a number 1 single.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The Music, I thought they would be shown up as the Showcase TV band they are by now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

magpie wrote:
    I saw Nirvana support Sonic Youth in 1989 in the Top hat in Dun Laoghaire.

Photo's of it here!

http://www.nirvanaguide.com/images.php?id=910821

Though it says it was in '91.

?

Advertisement