Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a new ISP

• 20-04-2005 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Ok,
    So ive decided to ditch IOLBB(or Bt or whatever the funk they wanna call themselves these days). Ive been with them for over 15 months now and I've had nothing but hassle from them. From tech support who don't know their arse from their elbow to a connection that my 56k would piss all over. To top it all off, I'm STILL not on 2mb but anyway....
    My choices are pretty limited considering we live in Ireland and Ive rang around to see what everyone else has to offer and here's what theyve said :
    • Eircom
      1. Have to wait until line is free before I can even place an order (2 weeks downtime) .
      2. 2mb line and a 16gb cap. Good enough connection and Ive a few mates in tech support so I cant really go wrong there.
      3. But then again it is eircom.
    • Irish Broadband
      1. 2mb Up and Down (nice and tasty)
      2. Have to wait at least 6 weeks from time of order until install (I really want as little downtime as possible)
      3. No cap or connection fee
    • Smart Telecom
      1. Any of the sales support team I've talked to were crazy old ladies.
      2. Free Line rental
      3. 2mb connection
      4. Have'nt heard good or bad about these guys so I'm still a bit sceptical

I live in Blanchardstown so NTL is out of the question. Is there any other ISP's I have missed that would offer me a better deal. As it stands eircom seem to be offering the best deal that I can see. Any help folks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

try www.U.TV

i had them for about 6 months in the last house i was in and the service was pretty good (and cheap)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

I dunno, Ive heard nothing but complaints about utv to be honest
    Ringing them now anyway,thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

hmmm yeah maybe i was lucky

i only recall 2 evenings in whole 6 months where there was an outage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I had them for around 9 months and never a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I'd recommend IBB first as they've had a pretty stable service with their 1MB service so far and they have syncronous upload and download but as for their higher packages i've heard that they're still working out the QoS bugs. Smart is a good service but be warned that their initial package on offer has only 128kb/s upload so it might be difficult with games and bittorrent. Don't use eircom as it's been going around that since their "upgrade" they've had worse transfer speeds than before because they switched to RADSL. If you get IBB then you won't have to worry about the downtime problem as they ain't DSL so you could keep your IOLBB package live until you get IBB in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

6 weeks for IBB !?! I got mine in 8 days should ahve been 5 but it was snowing on the friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Have a look at Leap Broadband

www.leap.ie

Paddyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

And the sooner people stop saying that eircom 'have switched to radsl' the better.

The service has been radsl for quite some time now, its nothing new, and the problems are due to their own capacity/equipment and not the technology itself.

As for Leap, im intrigued how there 1Mbit/256K ADSL and 1MBit SDSL are the same monthly price lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

JNive wrote:
    The service has been radsl for quite some time now, its nothing new, and the problems are due to their own capacity/equipment and not the technology itself.

and the worst thing is they are not doing anything about it, when I asked if they are doing anything to improve. they replied that all works have been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

CyberGhost wrote:
    and the worst thing is they are not doing anything about it, when I asked if they are doing anything to improve. they replied that all works have been done.

And this is one of the many reasons why you must AVOID EIRCOM!

• Advertisement
Advertisement