Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car

Options
  • 20-04-2005 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

Hey guys i have been driving a motorbike for 4 years now but im thinking of taking the plunge into car land (why why why!!!!)

im thinking of getting a small 3 door van thingy (see how much i know about cars :D )
    any suggestions/prices/insurance value? (23 & provisional)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

god i even feel dirty just having written that...i must go out of work and hug my bike

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Have you got a full licence for class B yet? If not, make it your top priority. Insurance quotes for provisional drivers are crazy. (So are insurance quotes for full licence drivers, just not as crazy as for provisionals... meh)

Switched to a car in February after driving a bike for 3 years (and a poxy scooter before that). Couldn't take the ****ty weather any more.

the weather doesnt bother me and i am not gonna give the bike up (love it too much)

yeah only got a provisional hence looking for a crappy little car

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

Well if you're not a big car head go for a small Japenese motor like a Micra or the likes. Cheap to run etc and also should be cheap to buy. Bear in mind that smaller cars do tend to hold their value quite well. But Jap. motors tend to be highly reliable. You only have to look at all the old Micras around to see that.

Do a search on cbg.ie, carzone.ie and autotrader.i.e and see what comes up with a 1 litre engine. Whatever interests you, then try and get a quote on it from an insurance company. If that all agrees with you then go have a look at the car.

There should be plently of small cars out there that have been used as second cars and therefore used sparingly.

Seeing as you say you will keep your bike, I am presuming you want to keep it cheap.

As for vans, I seem to remember they can be difficult to insure if they have panels in the side unless its for commercial running. Could be wrong. Also they might be difficult to sell after. Again could be wrong.

well i was thinking a small van, dihatsu charade style, for work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I'd agree with Ivan_E,
    I don't think you'll save a whole lot buying an old small van (insurance is slightly higher, and tax is not cheaper either) , and it will be a bugger of a job getting rid of it at a later time...

Why not buy a charade car?

** Tax on a car less than 1000cc = €151 per annum
    ** Tax on a commercial vehicle less than 3000KG = €253 per annum
    These are last years figures, but i am sure the proportions are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have a look at the Fiesta, Micra or Corsa. An early to mid 90s one should suit you. But in any case your insurance will probably be calculated on the basis of what you could hit more than what you are driving.

Advertisement