Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Not on the VRT Website???

Options
  • 20-04-2005 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

On the bizarre and arbitrary revenue website:

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRT

What happens if a car isn't listed? I have tried (without any success) to contact my friendly local Dublin VRT office but unsurprisingly, no one answers the phone/e-mails. I'm thinking of just buying a car not listed, logging my attempts to contact them to get the value (ie. keeping mobile phone records, e-mails etc), and driving the car until I'm stopped. When questioned as to why I haven't VRT'd it, do I have a reasonable defence?

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually prepared to give them money for the VRT scam, so why don't they want to take it?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This afternoon I had a VRT question too, and the VRT office refered me to the Motor Tax Office who refered me to the VRT office... etc. etc.

Apparantly the VRT office shuts at 4pm. (For cigars and brandys, no doubt).

I think you're supposed to turn up at their offices with the car.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just because it isn't listed doesn't mean that they won't take your money.
    I have found that many public offices don't answer the phone that quickly in the afternoons!

Anyway, what car? Many of the cars that are not listed will get an individual quote which is not a good sign.
    Apparently the E30 325i sport (e.g. 1990 reg) has had its VRT increase by about 500% in the last year based on the revenue's idea of the OMSP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

It's an old shape Audi Convertible 2.6. Managed to wake someone from their slumber/playing x-box/cigars & brandy, who referred me to Rosslare for more of the same.

Bizarrely, they came back with a jaw dropping €3500 or something in that area (when a Saab 900 2.0 Cab for the same year is something like €1500).

Needless to say, I have canned the idea and the search continues...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

best it avoid the "odd" cars IMO, if the VRT people have trouble pricing it can you imagine the nightmare the insurance companies will put you through.

Advertisement