Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are UTV planning to match BTIreland CAP?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

Slighty more on topic but has there been any word on there being a cap increase from UTV?

It is the cap for me that is the major choice of staying with UTV or leaving. The pings are not awful, usually aroung 60-80 for me to irish servers and the support while it has gone downhill is also bearable. But why should i have to stay with a company that is just bearable?
    I will forgive UTV a lot for introducing Flat rate dialup charges ahead of everybody else but this cap may be just the final straw that, unless something is done, will erode the last of my loyalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Slighty more on topic but has there been any word on there being a cap increase from UTV?

Nope. Bastards.

8GB is intolerable. I've already used 7.8GB this month and I've been very careful about my net usage.

I'm currently stuck in a 12 month contract which means I can't move to BT/Smart/IrishBroadband and I can't upgrade to the 16GB Clicksilver Plus because that'll also mean being trapped in a further 12 month contract.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ai ing wrote:
    The pings are not awful, usually aroung 60-80 for me to irish servers

Really, it is about 20ms on Netsource and I assume the same on Eircom. It is 40ms on NTL and that is because NTL don't pair in Ireland so it has to go to the UK first and then back to Ireland!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

UTV's motto:

Ignorance is bliss!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ai ing wrote:
    The pings are not awful, usually aroung 60-80 for me to irish servers

i disagree also ,3 or 4 times slower pings then eircom provide on dsl is very poor and shows utv still have not managed to fix ping problems
    if i am to believe them then ,they have been trying to fix the problem for over a year

sounds like incompetence to me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ai ing wrote:
    Slighty more on topic but has there been any word on there being a cap increase from UTV?.............

Reading between the lines in the support group would suggest that their "product modellers" are completely out of touch with the rapidly evolving bb market and that it will take mass desertions to bring them back to reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I,ve had Clicksilver for the last year and a half, I am now out of contract with them and free to move. I have been happy enought with my service . However I will consider moving to smart when they become available in my area because of UTV's CAP policy..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

dub45 wrote:
    Reading between the lines in the support group would suggest that their "product modellers" are completely out of touch with the rapidly evolving bb market and that it will take mass desertions to bring them back to reality.
    Which is odd, because they definitely hit a sweet spot when they launched.

I'd be tempted to set up with them again if the caps were increased, but the support issues are a constant worry. I don't use support much but I need to know it's there if I need it. I don't think I could even take them at their word if they committed to fixing it now, because they've done that several times already.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

The Muppet wrote:
    I,ve had Clicksilver for the last year and a half, I am now out of contract with them and free to move. I have been happy enought with my service . However I will consider moving to smart when they become available in my area because of UTV's CAP policy..

Ha anyone read the small print for Smart telecom and any other ISP that has "unlimited" download capacities? If you did then you'd see that they reserve the right to reduce your download speeds if you are deemed to overuse their service. What they define as overusage they are not willing to say but I'm guessing if you use more than 12 - 16 gigs you're most likely gonna get punished with ****ty download speeds.

Just to add to my point above, a mate of mine is with NTL and he asked the engineer who was installing it what exactly is considered over usage and he was told that generally they don't allow you to use more than 1gig a day. So complain all you like about UTV's cap limits but at least you know where you stand with them. I'm on the clicksilver+ package and 16gigs a month is just about right for me and i download like a looney! If i was on the lesser 8gig package I'd upgrade rather than switching to a new provider. At least you know you're getting 16gigs at full speed (well 1.7mb which is not bad on Irish phone lines!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Gegerty wrote:
    If you did then you'd see that they reserve the right to reduce your download speeds if you are deemed to overuse their service. What they define as overusage they are not willing to say but I'm guessing if you use more than 12 - 16 gigs you're most likely gonna get punished with ****ty download speeds.

There was a guy from smart that comes here from time to time. I think I remember him saying that he though "excessive usage" was around 100 gigs. I'll have a look later for it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Gegerty wrote:
    Just to add to my point above, a mate of mine is with NTL and he asked the engineer who was installing it what exactly is considered over usage and he was told that generally they don't allow you to use more than 1gig a day. So complain all you like about UTV's cap limits but at least you know where you stand with them. I'm on the clicksilver+ package and 16gigs a month is just about right for me and i download like a looney! If i was on the lesser 8gig package I'd upgrade rather than switching to a new provider. At least you know you're getting 16gigs at full speed (well 1.7mb which is not bad on Irish phone lines!)

I'm with NTL, the CAPs are as following:
    1m\100k = 16GB Cap for €25
    2m\200k = 30GB Cap for €35
    3m\300k = 40GB cap for €45

However NTL don't enforce the cap, they have only once sent out letters to people who went over the cap, asking them to decrease their usage a little bit for the benefit of everyone using the service. They never specified what they would do if you go over the cap again.

They have never charged anyone a cent for going over a cap and can't anyway as it is not part of the contract.

BTW I know some people who have downloaded almost 100GB with NTL and never heard anything from them.

I'd rather be with NTL any day over UTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

in the spirit of bitching about UTV... by CS contract is up and I'm looking to jump the sinking ship but alas I made the soul splitting mistake of signing up for utv talk last year. A pat on the back and a nice chilled pint for the man that gets me out of that contract so I can go wireless.

bk wrote:
    I'm with NTL, the CAPs are as following:
    1m\100k = 16GB Cap for €25
    2m\200k = 30GB Cap for €35
    3m\300k = 40GB cap for €45

However NTL don't enforce the cap, they have only once sent out letters to people who went over the cap, asking them to decrease their usage a little bit for the benefit of everyone using the service. They never specified what they would do if you go over the cap again.

They have never charged anyone a cent for going over a cap and can't anyway as it is not part of the contract.

BTW I know some people who have downloaded almost 100GB with NTL and never heard anything from them.

I'd rather be with NTL any day over UTV.

Don't get me wrong I'm having problems with UTV myself but only recently, they're having a rough time at the moment but they're usually very good. My point is people are just assuming the other phone line providers are better but I have serious doubts about that. I think UTV are the best of a bad lot.

Unfortunately I can't get NTL, our estate management company won't allow them believe it or not! NTL use fibre optics which is a far superior technology especially when it comes to gaming, it would definitely be my first choice if i could get it and your stats on thier capping policy makes me even more jealous!

Advertisement