Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

removing petrol cap cover things

Options
  • 20-04-2005 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hey

a friend of mine just bought a second hand car and it has one of those tacky chrome sticker things over the cover of the petrol cap... i cant think of a better way of explaining it but i'm sure you know what i mean.... I had a go at pulling it off by hand bit its stuck on there pretty tight and i didnt want to damage the paint job, didnt want to leave any sticky unpleasant looking residue either...

anyone got any ideas on how to get rid of these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

heat it with a hairdryer and it should come off in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 l337

cool... hope he has a long extension lead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Hey l337 :D

Page 79 of the Argos catalogue has a lovely red extension lead for only euro14.99.

Ya gotta love Boards. All your problems sorted! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

Try spraying windex or WD40 in under the sticker to attack the glue, it worked for me

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

hope your friend got a good discount because of that yoke being on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Hair dryer and credit card, the hair dryer melts the glue and by using a credit card the sticker won't fall apart when it's being ripped off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I don't understand why people put those things on their cars - they look so tacky! It's like putting things on your bicycle spokes when you're a kid...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

fjon wrote:
    I don't understand why people put those things on their cars - they look so tacky! It's like putting things on your bicycle spokes when you're a kid...
    Hey,
    No need for that, putting things, like stickets, reflectors on bicycle spokes was a cool thing to be at. Unfortunately, it's not cool on cars, esp the black punto that's parked outside the window here in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

When i was removing badges form my car i used a hair dryer to soften the glue...pulled off the badge....sprayed the remaining glue with WD40....scrapped away the soften, greasy glue with an old credit car (old by the way ;) ) and then dried off the rest.....then had a colour restore and gave it a lil polish...good as new!

That was for doing small badges.....image the fuel cap would be the same but take a while longer to melt the glue cos of the bigger surface area!
    Make sure you have the colour restorer to give it a rub after!

Best of luck with it!!

Advertisement