Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyslexia??

Options
  • 20-04-2005 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

This may be silly question ( I hope it is) but I have quite a fright. I get letter today from Dyslexia association, they say I have to go in for test with someone or other, Now I don’t know what dyslexia is, but all I notice is that my teacher has to fill out a section and it is signed by psycholigist. I know what psychologist is, I hear many stories at home so I scared. What is this dyslexia?? Does it mean I can be locked up or thrown out of school? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

From this page: http://www.interdys.org/servlet/compose?section_id=5&page_id=95#What%20is%20dyslexia?

from this site: http://www.interdys.org/
    What is dyslexia?

Dyslexia is a specific learning disability that is neurological in origin. It is characterized by difficulties with accurate and / or fluent word recognition and by poor spelling and decoding abilities. These difficulties typically result from a deficit in the phonological component of language that is often unexpected in relation to other cognitive abilities and the provision of effective classroom instruction. Secondary consequences may include problems in reading comprehension and reduced reading experience that can impede growth of vocabulary and background knowledge.

Adopted by the IDA Board of Directors, Nov. 12, 2002. This Definition is also used by the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD).

Studies show that individuals with dyslexia process information in a different area of the brain than do non-dyslexics.

Many people who are dyslexic are of average to above average intelligence.

I doubt that you can be "locked up" but you may receive extra classes to help you keep up, IF you are found to be dyslexic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

oh!!! Thank you!! So much!! I so scared, I just see psycholigist and I so scared!! Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's "I'm scared" not "I scared". Mistakes like that will get you locked away :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

stark was joking when he said that.
    Just incase you didnt notice the smiley face, ok!

Ahh, funny. Thank you FuzzyLogic, I did not see a funny face (computer takes long time to load images) so I not get joke. I will remember to learn mistake, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

the meeting with the psycologist is absolutely fine its no problem whatsoever so DONT be scared!!! they just kinda talk to ya and ya do some tests just to figure out your ability and development that kind of stuff! it can be a huge relief if u are ''diagnosed'' with dyslexia cause there is so much help available and ya can get extra classes which are very helpful!!! best of luck and once again ***Dont be scared!!!!***

Ahh, So psychologists do that to?? There you go, I think something different.

Sound silly though, I mean of course my spelling and grammer is not good, how is it meant to be? silly people.

Advertisement