Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about the Exams

Options
  • 20-04-2005 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

Im just a lowly first year so I dont know much about this exam system im hoping someone here can help!!!

First: If I fail an exam this summer when are the repeats on I know there on over the summer but what month.

Second: If i fail a lab but pass the exam do I have to repeat that module, If I have to repeat the module would I be able to continue on with my second year modules and take the one im repeating as extra or how does it work.

Thanks for the help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

youre being very pessimestic about your exams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Ya I kinda reaslised it looks very pesimistic after I wrote it but they are the only 2 things I dont know about the exam system (I hope !!!) so if anyone knows the answers please reply!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

cooperguy wrote:
    First: If I fail an exam this summer when are the repeats on I know there on over the summer but what month.
    September. Monday 6th to Friday 10th to be precise [UL calendar for 2005/06 which includes dates for repeats for this academic year]
    Second: If i fail a lab but pass the exam do I have to repeat that module
    Depends on the module. You need to ask your lecturer. Or check the grading stuff and rules handed out by your lecturer back in week one. Some modules are not repeatable at the summer repeats (for example, in CSIS, the group software engineering project in year 2, and obviously the FYP is not repeatable at the summer repeats). For modules that contain examinable labs or an element of project work, some will be unrepeatable, others will be replaced by a 100% exam, others will have the exam portion take the same percentage that it did in its original incarnation. Your lecturer (or perhaps student academic administration as they have records on all this stuff) would be the person to ask. Or anyone in your class who took down the marking scheme.
    If I have to repeat the module would I be able to continue on with my second year modules and take the one im repeating as extra
    Nope. They won't do it and they won't make a unique exception regardless of how well you argue (or lie) your case. Precedent you see - everyone will want one. Very technically it isn't completely prohibited by the regulations, though it's an error of omission rather than commission (they're just badly framed wrt progression and leave the door open for certain decisions from the individual departments) but they still won't do it.
    or how does it work.
    If you fail an exam and can't or don't clear it by the end of the repeats week you'll have to either repeat the whole year or take that single module on a linkin basis (doing just that exam). The fee for the former will be full academic fees for the year (at a guess, about five grand), the fee for the latter will be a shade under 500. Most people choose the former as for many, failing one exam is often linked to almost failing others, though obviously this is also untrue in many cases.
    Thanks for the help!!
    I'm pretty familiar with the academic regulations so I'll happily (attempt to) answer any questions on repeats or academic regulations where I can. Don't forget that the direct source for info is still the Student Academic Administration office though. They do email queries (sifeedback@ul.ie). And there's your student advisor if you've had good experience with that. If you don't know who your advisor is, finding out at this point might be a good idea as they'll probably be willing to find out details for the module if you haven't talked to your lecturer and/or don't know who he is (or if he's the type who sees students as an inconvenience on his way to a pension). Or there's Fintan in the SU (this year's education officer). At this point I'm sure he can probably recite the big book of regulations without checking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

out of interest, i failed an exam at xmas, but otherwise my QCA is pretty respectable, why have i not heard anything about when to repeat my exam or is it summertime before they tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

you get a letter during the summer, around the time the results are out telling you that you need to repeat. there's also a form they send you out which you fill out and send back for the repeats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

In the end, don't worry, after 1st year your QCA is wiped and you start afresh.

Advertisement