Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Installation Problems

• 20-04-2005 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭

I am in the process of moving into rented accomodation in Bray and wish to have Irishbroadband installed as we all have mobiles and don't want to pay €ircom any money but do want broadband.

Anyway according to the coverage maps that they sent me the house is twenty meters from the coverage area...

They just fogged me off then but what I'm hoping is that I can bully them into sending out a technican to determine exactly if I have line of sight to the mast..

Anybody have any success in similar circumstances..

Please Advise

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭puma5k

I Have just got broadband in Galway. i'm about 5km LOS for the Transmitter and the signal power form the transmitter is just touching the minimum accepted value . but as far as i know the technology can support up to 20km with PERFECT LOS. this mean you can see it with a good pair of binoculars and there is nothing near or in the LOS (Line of Sight) path.

When you order they send out an engineer to do a LOS test this will tell if it will work or not. Ask them to do this. You will have to go for there Breeze Packages as the Ripwave is not supported far from the Transmitter. Also take note they use different setup parameters in urban areas then rural areas as they can not output to much power from a small mast in a urban area. I had two LOS tests in this case before i was connected.

Check that out. but they are usually sound about this as for me they did there best to get broadband out to me and I'm Very Happy with it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

What road/estate is your new accomodation in?

There are customers in the Bray area who are either not in the official coverage area and others who do not have direct line of sight to the high site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

puma5k wrote:
    I Have just got broadband in Galway. i'm about 5km LOS for the Transmitter and the signal power form the transmitter is just touching the minimum accepted value .

5km is cack,from Ballybrit is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

markororke wrote:
    They just fogged me off then but what I'm hoping is that I can bully them into sending out a technican to determine exactly if I have line of sight to the mast..

You don't need a technician to determine if you have line of sight. Can you see the mast at Windgates? If so, you have line of sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 The Wise man

markororke wrote:
    I am in the process of moving into rented accomodation in Bray and wish to have Irishbroadband installed as we all have mobiles and don't want to pay €ircom any money but do want broadband.

Anyway according to the coverage maps that they sent me the house is twenty meters from the coverage area...

Anybody have any success in similar circumstances..

Please Advise

Can you PM me your name and I will have a look at it for you. Its hard to belive your 20 mts outside the coverage area as we are not that strict with our distance limitations,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

One of the girls at the help desk emailed me the map..
    I'm moving to the lane by anvils off the main street called carlton close. on the map the coverage goes up the main street but not to the east of it. therefore i am thirty meters outside..

As for line of sight.. i would have to clamber onto the roof to do it and as I haven't moved in yet that might be a problem..

WiseMan thanks i will PM you.. cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brianw

the maps are for guidance only. it depends totally on your environment.
    i took a chance and installed ripwave 1km from the guinness coverage map, but i am on the fourth floor facing both guinness and the mountains.
    my signal is always strong and i'm reasonably happy so far with speeds etc.
    its a decent service (if it lasts!) for 30€ with no phone line.
    ripwave does work different from breeze i believe.
    but the l.o.s. test is free, no?
    i think they will get their act together as so many younger people these days, even house owners, aren't arsed with a fixed phione line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I am on the main st about 30 feet from the corner at Anvils and they said I will be able to get it no prob. Now the problem is do I want it or will I go the wired route.

If the map is the same as the one on their site (http://www.irishbroadband.ie/images/cov_maps/BrayVL.jpg), then according to it areas east of the Main St are covered. I'm not sure if it is the positioning of the aerial on the mast that creates the eastern limit or if the coverage map takes Bray Head into consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Drapper wrote:

that links not working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Pataman wrote:
    that links not working

It was locked dont know why !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Seamus Davern

I signed up 3 weeks ago, the installation was marked as urgent.
    Still awaiting a phonecall from the technician to arrange line of sight test.
    Its a worry, when you think if it wasn't urgent.....
    Looking forward to having it for xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

Blaster99 wrote:
    If the map is the same as the one on their site (http://www.irishbroadband.ie/images/cov_maps/BrayVL.jpg), then according to it areas east of the Main St are covered. I'm not sure if it is the positioning of the aerial on the mast that creates the eastern limit or if the coverage map takes Bray Head into consideration.
    I don't quite know the value of these maps. I'm on IBB from Bray and I'm not within the indicated limit. In fact, I'm not even on the map. I'm way off to the Wesht beyond Enniskerry :D

Do you get full speed on your connection as a matter of interest? Did they give you the SNR reading do you remember? 5.7Ghz should be good up to significant distances so I can't see why IBB limits the distance to 5km's. Mind you they obviously have a 2-3 week backlog as it is so they're not too pushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭puma5k

Sponge Bob wrote:
    5km is cack,from Ballybrit is it ?
    What do you mean by cack! ? I'm 5 -> 6km as the crow fly's. if you know Galway I'm out beside the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

Blaster99 wrote:
    Do you get full speed on your connection as a matter of interest? Did they give you the SNR reading do you remember? 5.7Ghz should be good up to significant distances so I can't see why IBB limits the distance to 5km's. Mind you they obviously have a 2-3 week backlog as it is so they're not too pushed.
    I can't remember the SNR readings, but they seemed pleased.

Ceratinly, I'm not complaining about the signal -
    DL = 966 kbps
    UL = 937 kbps
    QoS = 98%

The above is about average. And I reckon I'm about 6.5 - 7Km from the mast.

Advertisement