Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell 2216 Unmanaged 10/100 Switch

Options
  • 20-04-2005 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

This switch came "free" with a server and I'm using it for a small network.

Anyone ever had any issue with these?

One PC has a problem with slow network access and I suspect the cable - everyone else is fine.

But before I rope in an electrician to test/replace the cable ( through the ceiling, beneath the floor ) has anyone ever had any issues/bad experiences with these switches?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Can you try the following:

Swap the suspect cable into a port on the switch that you know is working well
    - if net access is now ok - then you know the original port is damaged
    - if net access is still slow - it's either the cable or the PC
    Then...
    Swap the suspect PC for a PC that you know is working well
    - if it works ok - then you know the original PC is the problem*
    - if it still doesn't work - it's the cable

* tbh slow network access could be down to the network card, or software and/or configuration on the PC, and/or malware/virus/etc.
    Is it XP? Anytime I look at an XP machine with slow net access the first thing I check is that the XP firewall is turned off. Use ZoneAlarm :)

hth,
    causal

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Had a simular problem with a machine on our business network using a 3com switch.

Turned out to be an issue with Windows, disable the LAN on that machine and then enable it, sometimes i found that if youve had machines on a few months the network cards seem to slow down for some bizzar reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

thanks lads - bad network cable as suspected.

*throws cable in bin and walks away in disgust*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Of course it's always the cable that was a pita to route that fails :rolleyes:
    Good job on your original suspicion of the faulty cable tho' :)

causal

Advertisement