Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Window's Freezes At Log On

• 20-04-2005 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

I installed a soundcard last week (Audigy 2 Platinum), I had to disconnect my floppy drive in order to use the power supply for my soundcard (the Audigy 2 Platinum has a front panel that needs a power supply), so now I've no floppy, the spare power cable attached to the floppy power cable is powering another hard-drive by the way.

Over the weekend and error came up immediately on system start-up that my floppy had failed to initialise, so then I went into Setup and Disabled my floppy drive which I thought was fine, then just as I'm about to enter my Win XP password the system freezes, absolutly nothing happens. I have to re-boot and the same thing happens again, but after a few tries I eventually get in. If I type msconfig into Run to check what loads on system start-up an error appears saying that it's cannot find msconfig.

Would my problem be associated with my new soundcard or my floppy drive?

Any ideas?

Cheers!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

When you took out the power cable for the floppy, did you also take out the actual floppy cable?

Also, boot into Safe Mode and check to see that the card is installed correctly, and make sure there are no conflicts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Have you Norton A/V installed?
    It's known to try and scan the floppy drive on boot and shutdown.

Weird that it says msconfig cannot be found.
    Same in safe mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

When you took out the power cable for the floppy, did you also take out the actual floppy cable?

Also, boot into Safe Mode and check to see that the card is installed correctly, and make sure there are no conflicts.

Initially I thought it might be because the floppy cable was still in so I took that out and it's still causing trouble. The soundcard seems to be fine, the sound is ok and all the ports are working fine.
    The_Edge wrote:
    Have you Norton A/V installed?
    It's known to try and scan the floppy drive on boot and shutdown.

Weird that it says msconfig cannot be found.
    Same in safe mode?

Norton is installed, how do you check to see if it scans the floppy on start-up? I'll try and see if msconfig appears in Safe Mode.

Could it be something to do with drivers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

well first try to just unplug the live drive(front panel) without plugging the floppy drive back in.... if you still get the freeze.. you know your floppy is prob not the problem...

That Norton floppy scan is called 'Bloodhound' or similar in Norton options.

• Advertisement

I disconnected the front panel, both the power supply and the main cable and re-booted, after I entered my password and the windows welcome music came on it froze and the music kept stopping and starting at the same point like "duh-duh-duh" etc... I just turned it off, while it was off I disconnected a cable that goes from the CD ROM drive to the PCI card and re-started, it re-started fine. But I don't think it was anything to do with that cable? Would it?

I looked for that Bloodhound thing but it doesn't say anything about it scanning the A drive on start up.

Well it must be the new Audigy as the windows startup sound is locking the pc. Or at least that what it sounds like. Go into good old safe mode and remove the sound card from device manager and reboot. Let it redetect it and reboot again.
    Try another PCI slot if needed. Card could be conflicting with some other device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

are you running Home Edition?

Everything seems to be ok now (fingers crossed!). I took out the PCI card and put it in the other slot, and then re-installed the drivers etc...
    Would a faulty installation in the first place have caused it to act up? Cos I think I might have f**ked the first installation up :confused:
    Or what might have been the problem?

Thanks lads for the help!!
    I'll let you know if anything else goes wrong :)

Advertisement