Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Why is DirectX and Graphics Acceleration disabled on Windows Server 2003?

• 20-04-2005 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭

Surely having them enabled wouldn't effect performance that much?
    Or would it?

/confusezzzzed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Windows Server 2003

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Yeah I know mate but I just found it strange.
    Seems the sound service is disbaled by default too (Enterprise)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But they leave the wireless stuff enabled :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Has that changed with SP1?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No way I'm putting SP1 on a production server till it's proven to be stable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The_Edge wrote:
    I think the better question would be why are they installed on Windows Server 2003?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

They're disabled because that's only sensible for a server. You don't want to add additional senseless points of failure. And what on EARTH would you use them for? Who knows why they're there... It seems strange to include things for idiots to turn on...

rsynnott wrote:
    They're disabled because that's only sensible for a server. You don't want to add additional senseless points of failure. And what on EARTH would you use them for? Who knows why they're there... It seems strange to include things for idiots to turn on...
    Just shows how similar the code is, and that most of the price difference between Windows HOME and Windows ENTERPRISE is down to licencing rather than real technical improvements.

Also IMHO shows that they couldn't have had a proper design walk through.

Anyone know if the IPSEC hang on reboot is fixed ?

Just shows how similar the code is, and that most of the price difference between Windows HOME and Windows ENTERPRISE is down to licencing rather than real technical improvements.

Also IMHO shows that they couldn't have had a proper design walk through.

Anyone know if the IPSEC hang on reboot is fixed ?

This was my first thought (this was CERTAINLY the case with Win2000); however as far as I know they've never produced a consumer OS based on the Win2003 kernel. Unless it's the same OS as WinXP (I use neither often, so don't know much about it). In which case, why the different names?

doggiepaw wrote:
    hehe, no way I'm putting you in charge of my servers till you're proven to be stable

In Soviet Russia, server crashes you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement